Cannot connect to update server

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
OK, so I downloaded the US DR install and changed the update.dat and login.dat files to what they should be for the Euro servers, and now I just get "Cannot connect to update server" when I try to connect even though the servers are back up.

Help!

Zil

Fledgling Freddie
ive downloaded the pre patch thingie from goa, DR from dlgamer, installed DR ran the updater, and i still need to update 46 mb with 3.4 kb/sec WHY?!?!

oh and camelot.exe keeps crashing while i update :(

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Zil said:
ive downloaded the pre patch thingie from goa, DR from dlgamer, installed DR ran the updater, and i still need to update 46 mb with 3.4 kb/sec WHY?!?!

i installed from dlgamer, and i need to download 67.2mb but im gettin 20kb/sec ish which is a a shame cos i managed to pull 500 odd kb/sec from dlgamer :( i supose their is just some diff files that need updating

[GOA]Erivoss

[GOA] Official type person
Zil said:

Because otherwise it would be 750 megs to update.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
On my PC it seems to be this; I had ZoneAlarm installed but not running, and I think the TrueVector engine was still running in the background and causing issues. I opened ZA, and when I tried to fire up the DR client got the "do you want to allow this program to access the internet" messages...clicked yes, and now updating quite happily.

[GOA]Erivoss

Svartmetall said:
OK, so I downloaded the US DR install and changed the update.dat and login.dat files to what they should be for the Euro servers, and now I just get "Cannot connect to update server" when I try to connect even though the servers are back up.

Help!

Spoken to the admins - it's due to load. The patch servers are nearing saturation there and unfortunately unlike this morning we can't keep on increasing the limit as it'll just divide the bandwidth even more. The only thing that can be done is just to keep on trying.

Sorry I don't have better news :(

Zil

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
Because otherwise it would be 750 megs to update.

fair and square :)

just thought the update thingie from goa was to avoid having to update anything once the servers went live :)

[GOA]Erivoss

Svartmetall said:
On my PC it seems to be this; I had ZoneAlarm installed but not running, and I think the TrueVector engine was still running in the background and causing issues. I opened ZA, and when I tried to fire up the DR client got the "do you want to allow this program to access the internet" messages...clicked yes, and now updating quite happily.

Yeah that too :p

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Hmmz, 81.8MB update download...is that the 1.78-1.80 update thing I downloaded separately the other day?

[GOA]Erivoss

Zil said:
fair and square :)

just thought the update thingie from goa was to avoid having to update anything once the servers went live :)

It was to try and reduce the update as much as possible (from 750 megs to 50 megs isn't too bad ;) ). Unfortunately it's hard to do it so that you have 0 megs to install as we need to provide these installers quite some time before the release date but we're also still in test - so any files that get changed between these two times will need to get patched again.

[GOA]Erivoss

Svartmetall said:
Hmmz, 81.8MB update download...is that the 1.78-1.80 update thing I downloaded separately the other day?

No it's not that - probably because you downloaded the US version of the DR installer which installs a slightly different set of files than we do (files which then need to be repatched to our version).

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
[GOA]Erivoss said:
No it's not that - probably because you downloaded the US version of the DR installer which installs a slightly different set of files than we do (files which then need to be repatched to our version).
I prefer "colour" to have a "u" in it, true.

Thanks for the info Eri.

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
when was the word color/colour used?

also its an american/english thing :)

[GOA]Erivoss

Svartmetall said:
I prefer "colour" to have a "u" in it, true.

Thanks for the info Eri.

No, those don't get changed via patches ;)

Things like the /map maps though do.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
XenX said:
when was the word color/colour used?

also its an american/english thing :)
Aye was a gentle nudge at that wonderful oxymoron, "American English"

[GOA]Erivoss

DirtyDiana said:
my client crashed now ive restarted its downloading at 10kb/sec /cry

If the patcher makes you hang for over 300 seconds on the same file, it will boot you. This sometimes happen if you've got a really slow download rate and are downloading one of the bigger files in the client..

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
If the patcher makes you hang for over 300 seconds on the same file, it will boot you. This sometimes happen if you've got a really slow download rate and are downloading one of the bigger files in the client..

its speeding up a little now upto 23kb/sec not used to these slow speeds on my 4mb connection :( ohh well will be here in the end :)

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
XenX said:
do the americanisms really bother you? hehe

yes! they shouldnt play with things that are not thier own.

Zil

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:

yeah the problem with that is that you need to restart on that file ones you start the updater again, quite annoying, im on my 10th try on pregame.mpk atm :p

[GOA]Erivoss

Zil said:
yeah the problem with that is that you need to restart on that file ones you start the updater again, quite annoying, im on my 10th try on pregame.mpk atm :p

pretty sure that's the biggest file of the lot..

E

Efour

this is great 8mbit adsl and 6kbs dload
This reminds me of when i first started playing on 56k :twak:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom