Cancer Sucks!!

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Just had my 2nd friend in 2 months die of this horrible disease. If people can stump up the cash to get the BarrysWorld domain back, maybe we could stump up a little for Cancer Research.

Anyone interested?

And don't worry, this isn't some guilt trip in order to get people to give to charity. I've never given to charity in my life and I can see the irony of me wanting to give now. Maybe a donation sooner may have bought that electon microscope that some guy needed to cure Cancer and my friends would still be here for a little longer.

Then again, I suppose if you give to one research company then why not another. Where does it stop?

Damn, I think I've very nearly talked myself out of this whole idea.

Balls!

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
My friend died of cancer a year ago it really sucks. Im trying to do my part by using that Folding@Home thing - was told it uses the cpu to do something for discovering the cure for cancer.

im sorry to hear it Whipped :fluffle:

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Sorry to hear about your friends' deaths from Cancer.
It is indeed a vile disease. Hopefully soon they will find the right methods to rid us of it...

Someone I know also died from it and another is busy going through radio therapy...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So does a vacuum cleaner(hate those bloody things) and you don't see people donating me money to aid in the research for a silent dustsucker.

But...realistic view, not gonna happen. F*cked up little world ain't it? :D

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I think Deebs and Ted had a cancer distributed computing thing with a Barrys group a couple of years ago. It would cerainly be better to put that on all our servers, rather than Seti@Home. Unless we discover aliens and they have a cure.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Sorry to hear your news.

If anyone wants any information on how you can go about making a donation or doing your bit for CRUK, I 'work' for them so I'll try and offer advice.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
sorry for your loss mate, my mum had the big C and my dad died from it. I donate to the dutch fund for it.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
http://www.parabon.com/

Catsby donates money to charity via GAYE (Catsby pleades with Wij to leave it out), which means the selected charity gets my money and the income tax I pay refunded from the governemnt. In effect, this means Catsby gives £1 and they receive £1.40.
However, GAYE has to be done through your company, and Catsby recommends if it is not in place where you work, chat to them about it as it costs nothign to set up and is good PR at the least.

Edit- Catsby recommend you chose your charity on the basis of where you want the money to go to. I.e. For the research into the drugs themselves, or the development of existing drugs by testing, or for the providing of comfort and aid for those suffering but without the means or family to support themselves. Catsby always feels terrible for the people in the latter case.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Brynn said:
Folding@Home thing - was told it uses the cpu to do something for discovering the cure for cancer.

give link and we can set summit up maybe?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well for one thing they can now target 1 specific lymph node and remove it instead of having to remove all of them regardless of whether they have cancer in them or not...

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
How old were your friends Whipped? My family has a pretty big history of cancer so I'm trying to figure out my life expectency :eek:

Whipped

Part of the furniture
The first was 65, so not to bad as far as age goes. MY friend that passed away yesterday was in her early to mid 30s. Although this was a relapse as she'd had stomach cancer in her early twenties and beat it.

Life expectency is easy to calculate though. It's from the day you're born till the day you die :) Of course, figuring out that last variable can be a bit of a bitch.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
There are so many companies working on this. I've just got home from a conference on this (as well as diabetes) and its really encouraging to see the efforts people are making to understand the underlying mechanisms and how to exploit these to kill cancers specifically.

I think from my company there has already been good news in this area with a new first in class drug ready to go into clinical trials (FDA approved). This of course can take a long time to reach market, 10 years typically, but hopefully ours will get fast tracked.

Certainly donate to the charities like the ICRF etc as these Institutes provide the basic research that private Industry needs to develop the novel inhibitors.

snake75

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
sorry for your loss mate, my mum had the big C and my dad died from it. I donate to the dutch fund for it.

my dad too, 3 years ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom