Can you please fix ToA lag?

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
And once again we have our insane ToA delay in Midgard. Delays for up to 10-15s makes playing in ToA zones impossible. Isn´t it time to fix this once and for all?

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah - wish they would do that and actually give some info about it for us paying customers. Was in a guild group a while ago and all of us had the lag and we live all over Europe.

Brelakor

Fledgling Freddie
Has anyone at all Rightnowed it, or does everyone jsut post here? :p

Just like with Mariashas Sharkskin Gloves a few weeks back, everyone was complaining that it was bugged for weeks, then i just Rightnowed it and they reset it.

Been working ever since.

The TOA lag is abit bigger problem tho, but no use if nobody are Rightnowing it.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
have right nowed it 3-4 times earlier. nothing has happened. they have said they are monitoring it and that there is no strange things on the server

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
Here is what I get in return reporting the lag.....:touch:

Response (CS)09/25/2004 06:29 PM Hello,

Could you send me a DXdiag.txt ?
To do it, click on [start], [run], and type DXdiag [ENTER].
Save all the infos in a text file and join it to your message.

Regards,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support Customer (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)09/25/2004 05:13 PM
Server: Prydwen
Realm: Midgard
Zones: All TOA outdoor zones
Char: Prudil

Hi, seems server lag on Mid-pry-TOA is back. There is generally a 3-10 sec delay in all TOA outdoor zones. Making it very hard to do any organized activities there. Submitting a SS from pingplotter to make sure I wont get the "its your ISP" - reply ;)

\\Prud

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
yeah and after that they wanna know if u have a router, if u have a fw, what kind of modem u have, what kind of network cable etc etc.

Loch

Fledgling Freddie
There is no lag within 100 miles of here! We are driving the lag back from baghdad as we speak, the lag is dying in thousands as we mow them down, don't worry, there is no lag to fear!

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
The saga continues.......f**king "cut'n'paste" answers!:puke:

Response (CS)09/27/2004 02:18 PM Hello,

We invite you to go on the following web site in order to update the drivers of your graphic card :

http://www.ati.com/support/fr/driver.html

After this, reinstall DirectX 9. You will find it at :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=141D5F9E-07C1-462A-BAEF-5EAB5C851CF5&displaylang=en

Then if you had a shipset VIA go to the following site for your motherboard :

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300 to download and install the next file :
VIAHyperion4in1v4.48.exe

Then try to settle the display's mode of windows in 16 bits.

Be careful, mythic does not guarantee a compatibility between Daoc and windows 2000.

Regards,
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Yesterday i had insane lag in TOA and ld'd 4 times in a row. My bot standing in Aegir didnt lag at all and didnt ld. So when i ported to Svasud the lag went away.

Gizor

Fledgling Freddie
I'd like to see Requiel(or any other GM that roams these boards) PERSONALLY comment on this.
- Any chance for that, buddy? :m00:

It is pretty laughable if you ask me. How long has it been since ToA release in Europe, 5, maybe 6 month?

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
The problem with Mid/Pryd lag is one we are aware of, however it's not an easy problem to pin down as it affects the server at random times (not always when it's busiest) and doesn't follow any set patterns. We do keep a close eye on our network and look for problems that occur but if it's something that strikes at random it's hard to pin down the cause. It doesn't mean we aren't trying to, just that we can't promise a resolution in a given time.

Gizor

Fledgling Freddie
Make that as an macro-answer then, instead of sending people all the bullshit about direct-x 'n stuff (....) :eek:

And still, people do pay money to play this game, at pretty high rates in my opinion, and that is the answer you can come up with after 5-6 month after ToA release...

- Bad :(

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Hi Requiel, can you at Goa go bash some heads in at Opentransit? Getting 100% packetloss when my connection to your servers hit Opentransit after Copenhagen.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Yes, whenever problems are reported to us we do. Remember however that Opentransit is not Goa, and we have no control over their equipment.
In general the best way to go about it is to report it to your ISP who will whinge on your behalf to Opentransit. The more reports from different sources they get, the more likely they are to respond. You can also report it yourself by emailing noc(at)opentransit(dot)net.

Gizor

Fledgling Freddie
You should come online right now Requiel, now the lag is pretty über... time to gather some information, ey?

- I am in Typhon's wating for you :D

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
requiel, can some people have your (or another fast reply non-office hours) email address, ICQ or MSN? So we can send you guys a pm when the lag is topping the chart? That way you can perhaps get online in those times and perhaps find ingame a hint on what's causing this...

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Nice that you're looking into it and I really hope you can find out something about it. It's getting kinda silly again. Was exping artifacts for change today and could only spam anytimers and stilll one out of four or so would come out unstyled. I won't get started about style chains (which are rather important for solo Savage).

But even though the problems must be something really tricky to find, I wonder bit if anyone is taking this seriously since Midgard on Prydwen has had this problem since the ToA release. It was almost gone for good while now, though, but there was still evenings, many times per week sometimes, when you'd get "ToA lag" as we call it where I come from. Everyone knows what it means, too :)

By now, even my patience is beginning to run out and usually I'm about as patient as your average mountain.

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
Requiel said:
Yes, whenever problems are reported to us we do. Remember however that Opentransit is not Goa, and we have no control over their equipment.
In general the best way to go about it is to report it to your ISP who will whinge on your behalf to Opentransit. The more reports from different sources they get, the more likely they are to respond. You can also report it yourself by emailing noc(at)opentransit(dot)net.
Opentransit = France Telecom
GoA = owned by France Telecom

That makes u pretty much "partners in crime".....tho its obvious that networking issues cant be routed via GoA (ofc I understand that), but I was hoping u had some "techies" at France Telecom (NOC) u can nag on "during lunch" :)
Most ISPs dont care about online games...they just want to feed ppl Webpages wich arent affected (that much) by lag and latency ;)
Online gamers SHOULD whine more at their ISP making sure onlinegames and their IP-range have the most "optimal" route (latency wise).....to make their customers more saticfied and the "online experience" better. All it takes is some MRTG-monitors or some other networking monitoring tool.

I know my ISP does those things :clap:

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
Req you wanted a notification when the lag is present. Well just now (Tue 2030 cet) the lag is sick in Volcanus. Feel free to come feel the pain :p

PS: there is no big raid in this zone atm

Gizor

Fledgling Freddie
Bump!

- Atleast reboot the server sometime this week, in the earlie hours when not so many people are online. The so called "ToA-lag" is back at its worst, if you reboot the server (or only the zones, if that is possible) it atleast gets a bit better for a few days, maybe nice before the weekend rush?
This could maybe be a temporary solution (to reboot once or twice a week, that is) to get rid of the lag for a while and reduce it some, because this can simply not continue for another 5 month.

bashir

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

Well, I mailed to that address, and only respons I got is the polite version of "who are you? you are no customer, go whine at your isp!". So I went to my isp, and they said go whine at OT.

It seems the TOAserver gets laggy when its up for a longer period. Perhaps they should consider a scheduled reboot now and then. In another MMORPG I played, EVE Online, they had a daily 'downtime', for one hour. Now that would be abit over the top, but a reboot every week or so should solve this problem until the source of this annoyance has been found.

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
bashir said:
It seems the TOAserver gets laggy when its up for a longer period.
<Prudil gets old nightmares of NT4 servers and their memory leakage>

Im begining to wonder if GOA is running NT4 on the servers hosting the Mid-ToA zones :p Not the RedHat Linux 7.5, they claim to be running :D j/k

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
Gonna bump this to see if others have the same feeling about Mid/ToA atm. I got the feeling most ppl in Pwned alliance concur due to a little discussion (whine) on /as today ;)

If people just sit back and wait for GoA to fix it, the longer we will have to wait. Whine here as many as posible and they might be forced to take more appropriate actions in solving the problem. Post whine on "RightNow" aswell....

In advance thank you! :)
PS: "whine" is a strong form of propaganda, just look at vnboards and mythic ("playerfeedback" my ass!) :D

Nacabuta

Fledgling Freddie
As I write this the server delay is 3-6 sec for me exping on lava bugs in Thphons Reach (about 15 other players in the same zone). In other words unplayable. I can suicide port to Svasud and bingo. No delay at all.

Requiel. You say the problem is hard to pin point. Let me tell you this.
I grouped with a player from the german server Lyonesse (2000+ players primetime) the other day, and he said they never had anything close to what we got in Midgard on Prydwen when it comes to server-side lag.
Why dont you duplicate Prydwen with Lyonesse hardware wise. Cant be the english translation files thats causing this lag can it ?
Oh...we are a low pop server? I see.

Ps
I have reported this server side lag to RightNow and Im looking forward to an endless story of pingplotter, dxdiag, opentransit you name it round dance with them the next few days before my report ends up in the "solved" category.

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
The saga continues - take two:

Got another amusing reply from GOA today, seems this farce will never end. Tbh i give up! How thick-headed can u get?

Response (CS)10/01/2004 11:43 AM
Hello,

We apologize for the delay in our reply.

To improve things you can try the following tests :

With you graphics card :

- disable the antialiasing or anisotropic options
- lower its frequency

With your bios :

- if your graphics card is on the AGP port, modify its speed (modify to 4X,2x or 1X)
Increase the AGP Aperture ie : 64 to 256 mb
- you can set your memory type to "normal" and select a transfer mode "low" instead of "high"

In the game itself :

- try different resolutions
- lower the performance options in the configuration menu (water details, clipping, shadows...)

When you are in game do not hesitate to use the /vidreset command.

Regards,
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

Dumle

Fledgling Freddie
When are they gonna understand that this has nothing to do with your graphiccard or whatnot, its their freakin server that is f*****d up :/

I had terrible lag today as well in ToA areas, was almost unplayable (or rather it was, but we did it anyway:()

Rudor Dwarf

Loyal Freddie
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................FIX...................................................................................................THE...................................................................................................LAGG............................................................. ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

And dont come with the lame excuse reinstall Direct-x etc . There is no lagg in si and normal zones.. Not even on relicraid with ~400 ppl runing around in same zone.

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
The lack of official news on this is horrible as well - at best we get Requiel posting stuff here while the friday news post grand news about stuff that wont happen for months like Catacombs and background stories.

I'm all for doing those things but as a paying customer one would wish that you guys focused on improving the really boring chronicles and post regular updates about topics that affect the game currently such as the lag. I mean its not like you get many new subscribers due to your website so I dont think you risk scaring potential customers away with some less fluffy news at times.

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
Since this have been a problem since Day 1 I suspect it is mostly a cash flow question. Does the playerbase in Midgård/Prydwen generate enough cash to justify the cash outlay for GOA to remedy the problem? The time that has elapsed clearly shows that this is not the case. It is all a matter of priorities. This is something we probably have to live with for the rest of our Daoc lives since the inflow of new players isnt exactly impressive. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom