Camera

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I finally own a proper camera (well an entry level one anyway) and I know theres a few photographers around on here so after some advice.

I've won a Nikon D60 in a competition, I've had it about a week and taken a few piccies and liking it so far, nice clean piccies.

Where's the best place to start with learning about shutter speeds etc and what add-ons would be considered essential (macro lens, tripod?)

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
imo the best way to learn about shutter speeds is to just take pics, find out what happens on a low shutter speed and what happens with high, take the same pic with different setting and just learn by taking lots and lots

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A tripod, definitely, and don't worry about spirit levels because they're useless. Just something sturdy, tall, that can be easily locked. Shoot in the camera's native raw image format also.

If you want a free bit of RAW software, download Raw Therapee.

There are loads of online guides to photography. Don't go spending money yet. Have a look on Flickr, find good images near you. Then try to emulate them, or improve upon them.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
and don't worry about spirit levels because they're useless.

Why? I never leave home without mine, very useful indeed particularly if the horizon isn't completely obvious.

I'm with Tom on the websites, there are loads of articles out there. Some things to look up and understand are:

- aperture settings: how that affects sharpness and the 'sweet spot' of the lens, how it affects depth of field
- shutter speeds: self explanatory really
- ISO: what sensitivity is, why you would increase it manually or allow the camera to do it
- exposure: getting it right, photogaphing in optimal lighting conditions (which will vary hugely if you're into completely different types of photography) and usually is a combonation of all of the above three
- compositions: rules of thirds, lead in lines, vanishing points etc
- focal length

That should keep you busy for a while. Also, once you're starting to take better shots, get them up on Flickr and maybe get involved with a specific camera forum. Other enthusiasts' constructive criticism (and I don't mean the Freddies...) can help to really improve your technical and compositional skills.

Just prepare to get hooked :).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Don't forget to pack some semtex so when the coppers stop you you'll at least have a reason for it :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention if you're out in public innocently taking photos, then be prepared to get stopped, questioned and searched under section 44 of the terrorism act :).

There is a growing pool on Flickr dedicated to it - Flickr: The Section 44 The Terrorism Act Pool

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom