Calling all techies. Need hardware help

A

Atomic Rammer

I just installed a new (modern) socket 7 motherboard but now I'm having probs in halflife after reinstalling windows.

I'm now getting much lower fps and when I do a timerefresh i get the textures flashing a sort of blue colour.
I used to get timerefresh score of 120 odd and now I get 87. :(

I tried Quake2 and it seems to be unaffected perhaps even better but not hl.

I did reinstall all my previous drivers in the same order, Ive installed my minigl again in the right place (and selected it).

I just don't know whats going on. Anyone else seen this? Particularly the blue flashing on timerefresh?

oh yeah I also backed up all my previous config files for hl and reinstalled them too so I should have exactly the same settings.
All my scripts work anyway ;)

O

old.Mad Bloke

What 3d card are you using ?

Are you using the latest drivers for all hardware ?

and,

Does this only happen with HL? is anything else effected?

To be honest i have no ideas yet but some more hardware details may help

~ MB

O

old.Cornholio

try using block mode transfer for GL...

just an idea!

l

conholio

O

old.devin

Whats your system setup?

Need....more....info.... :)

A

Atomic Rammer

OK I got a voodoo3 2000 pci and I replaced an abit motherboard that only went up to 233 mhz to a Gigabyte GA-5AA that does all modern socket 7 cpu.

Thats all I did was change motherboard apart from reinstall windows to get it working.

I installed the drivers for me soundcard thay are definately up to date.
I installed the v3 drivers dated 2x of jan this year so thay are the latest.
I installed the minigl over the top of the older halflife one.

I have tweaked every bios setting there is to no significant effect.

I know for a fact that all me console graphics tweaks from before are loaded coz I checked each of their values when in game.

I totally dont know whats going on.

Hey corn whats block mode transfer gl? and how do I do it?

Quake2 seems just as fast as before. As does the unreal tournament demo I have.

O

old.TUG

Is ya refresh rate near the 85Hz mark? If so I'd say you simply have v-sync enabled - just disable it in da drivers :)

A

Atomic Rammer

Nope its on 60hz. I have a shitty 14 in.

I've tried the dont sync with monitor bit in the v3 overclock proggy in any case.

O

old.bee

GIGABYTE!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!

/me runs off screaming

dont get gigabyte, there complete pants

I once had the Gigabyte GA-5AX and it sucked.

No video card i put into it worked properly including the banshee, voodoo2 and TNT.

In my opinon get rid of the motherboard as fast as you can like I did!

A

Atomic Rammer

Yeah I should research me mb choice a bit better in future. I've come to the conclusion that GIGA IS PANTS too.

I'm going to post on one of their support forums asking if people get same poor performance.

I didn't have any probs getting anything working but the performance is a bit cack.

can anyone else reccomend a speedy but still cheap socket7 mobo?

O

old.bee

I heard ABIT are good tho i've never tried them.

I got a supermicro mobo with pentium 2 because i was sick of crashes and poor performance of the K6.

Havent had a (major) problem since (touch wood)

A

Atomic Rammer

me old one was abit that was faster.
Might have a look see about their socet 7 stuff

A

Atomic Rammer

ok fellow nerdlings
whats the difference between ali aladdin and sis 530?

Im looking at an asus one are they any good?

O

old.TUG

Abits last board for socket 7 is an old TX one...

Asus on the whole are good yea...

SiS = bag of wank
Aladdin = still wank but not as much

SS7 is dead, I'd move on :)

A

Atomic Rammer

Well yeah, I was planning on getting a 1 ghz Athlon, but cursed my luck as I saw my bank balance was short of a few 0's on the end.

O well, I guess I'll have to see about getting a less wank, wank one.

O

old.-=CaBaL=-

have you installed the ali agp miniprt driver that usually helps with performance !!!

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Crux est si metuas, quod vincere metuas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(It is mental torment if thou art in dread of that which thou fearest that thou canst not get the better of.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
[ATO]-=CaBaL=-
[ATO]Recruiter
www.clanatomic.com
ICQ 53804826

[This message has been edited by -=CaBaL=- (edited 01 June 2000).]

O

old.-=CaBaL=-

/slaps himself stupid for not reading post

O

old.[1664]Rusta

Whats the processor speed running at, as in what does it say at boot up and what do you clock it at in Windows?

------------------
'Audere est Facere'
www.clan1664.co.uk

A

Atomic Rammer

Theres no probs with the processor speed its a k6-2 500 i dont know how to confirm this in windows but linux confirms it, but I conducted the original speed test with my old 166 mmx and it was slower. so like for like processor wise the motherboard was slower. When I put me new one in it was of course much faster but I just know theres more potential in me chip, like about 15 fps.

I just cant understand what would make a motherboard run games slower any ideas?
is this a pci data bandwith affair? would the existence of an (unused) agp slot make pci things slower?

I have changed all bios things to no effect b4 anyone says too. It is most definately the motherboard being slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom