calling all Beatles fans

J

Jonaldo

Hope you're not advertising your own wares on this here public forum :p

A Beatles fan wouldn't buy that, a Beatles fan would buy stuff to listen to it, a vinyl collector will buy that, put it away and sell it for more at a later date. I'm a Beatles fan and I like their music, not looking at a boxset doing nothing.

U

-Ultimate

He's not pimping it for himself unless Toms ebay name has changed from tomjeffs to mtmworldwide ;)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by -Ultimate
He's not pimping it for himself unless Toms ebay name has changed from tomjeffs to mtmworldwide ;)
oki I didn't know, that's why I asked :) wasn't accusing and I apologise if it sounded like that. Still not gonna bid lots of money for an investment in vinyl although it will increase in value over time :)

W

What The

Audiophiles are fantastic, you can sell them hideously overpriced 'technology' with no basis for being better and they'll argue till they are blue in the face that they can hear a difference.

T

Tom

I'm an audiophile, but I'm not one of the silly ones who believes in bi-wiring, cable break-in, separate stands for amplifiers etc. I've seen people buy £200 mains cables, they have more money than sense.

I would listen to the box set, no way would I spend so much and not.

R

Rekin

Originally posted by What The
Audiophiles are fantastic, you can sell them hideously overpriced 'technology' with no basis for being better and they'll argue till they are blue in the face that they can hear a difference.

That's cos most of them can. I would hardly call myself an audiophile, but I can still tell the difference in sound quality between a 300pound CD player and a 500pound one, a 60 pound line cable and a 120 pound one. You just have to know what to listen for.

T

Tom

Tell me why a £120 cable will sound any better than a £60 cable. I contend there is no noticeable difference, and that suggestive forces are at work.

Its worth pointing out BTW that these discs can claim to be superior to the modern offerings, its printed on virgin vinyl, probably 180-200gram (very thick and heavy), mastered at half speed, and the music came off the original masters with exactly the same settings as it went on when originally recorded.

I have a few of them, and they sound excellent.

C

caLLous

Isn't it just psychological? You spend twice as much on the cables so you make yourself believe that you can hear a difference...

T

Tom

Exactly. While different turntable designs, amplifier designs, and especially speaker designs can exhibit different qualities, and therefore different interpretations on the favourability of their 'sound', a pair of cables is just that.

I can hear a difference between telephone bell wire and £1.50/m QED speaker cables, but spending hundreds or even thousands on cables for better quality is like buying snake oil.

If you don't believe that, try double blind testing, I'm certain that nobody can reliably tell the difference between the two.

B

Big G

My Supra cable (which is 99.9999% pure copper iirc) definitely sounds better than other, cheap cables.

No point spending a lot on cable if the components are poop; but if you're wiring up expensive amps and top speakers then good quality interconnects and speaker cable are a must. I agree with Tom and doubt that you could tell the difference between £60 and £120 cable.

G

T

Tom

Try blind testing. Get a friend to swap the cables around and play the same music over and over. Do it out of 10, you'll be amazed how often you get it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom