L

L_Plates

Can we have a rule !

More than 10 words we need a picture :/

Cmon you remember as i kid * i aint reading that theres no pictures :/ *

W

Will

Originally posted by xane
Like you Will, I'd love to see an alternative, but there isn't one. Remember, even Karl Marx considered capitalism a necessary step towards communism.
We need to get our thinking caps on then.;)

Very good points though. I guess the best think to do is try to aid the 3rd world in getting into the 21st century. Problem is, I can't see us ever seeing the benefits. Even with the first world supporting them (which I can't see any government agreeing to, the business lobby, certainly in America, is too strong), we are talking several generations.

L

L_Plates

But nowadays people want instant results thats the problem.

X

xane

Originally posted by Will
we are talking several generations.

This unfortunately is the fact many people find difficult.

One of the keys is education, and you cannot educate people overnight, it takes a lifetime, sometimes several lifetimes, think about your parents and grandparents, sure they may have been clever but they were nowhere near as educated as our generation, same will be with our kids.

An uneducated population will always be exploited, and cannot vote for good leadership ("be politically active"), thus the vicious circle begins.

If you look at what most of the smarter sweatshop workers are doing is saving up to get their kids educated, it's essentially what our parents did for us. The big buiness might be exploiting them but its giving a way out of the circle that has kept people oppressed for generations.

Oppressive regimes, major religious institutions, and "green" politics all aim to keep people from becoming educated as it suits their idealism. If you look at the major opponents of big business investments in developing countries, you'll find they'll normally fall into one of those groups.

G

GDW

Ive never worked for a call centre but my line of work enables me to see how various companies in different industries are run. I recently spent two weeks in a call centre, regarded as one of the best in the UK.

Most of the staff that I saw, including managers and mentors, spent the VAST majority of their their time either watching DVDs, playing PC games or in chatrooms.

How can this country expect to retain this type of work if they arent being more efficient.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for them, and would advise those currently employed in such a job to start looking for a new career as its about to go the same way as the clothing industry

Someone mentioned earlier about the influx of call centres to Northern Ireland. This has only happened due to the fact that these companies receive millions of pounds of grant aid as an incentive. Once that source of capital has dried up thyll clear off to India as well.

W

Will

Originally posted by GDW
Most of the staff that I saw, including managers and mentors, spent the VAST majority of their their time either watching DVDs, playing PC games or in chatrooms.
I fucking wish.

Though it being best in the country may prove that happy staff work better than depressed overworked staff.

G

GDW

Im only saying what I saw Will.

I forgot to mention the large number redundancies that have been recently made and that are in the pipeline as a result of inefficiencies.

D

Delboy

I mind folk talking abut the growth in call centres back in '95 and thought "Forget it , the internet is here, find another job", but couldnt bring myself to tell them.

G

gremlin

Originally posted by xane
The problem exists ... capitalism a necessary step towards communism.
TLDR!

(Too long, didn't read)

Users who are viewing this thread