Cabbies in RvR

jobrounity

Regular Freddie
hi,

I've just started playing my cabbie (lvl 50) in RvR.

TBH i dont have the slightest idea on how to play him- I seem to die before i can get debuff/AOE dot off :(

There r loads of cabbies in NF, so i guess they must b playable in RvR.

Could any1 suggest what to do? I know i need practice etc. but i wont get it if i die constantly.. i.e. is it advisable to have pet AND buff it? should i use root as much as possible?

thx for help

fortunefish

Banned
get moc three and u can kill anything in rvr especailly with a buff bot

buffed 2s cast time lifetap uninteruptable with uber hits and a pet stunning them every second = win

also go to odins :D emain sux balls atm with the zerg me thinks.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Maybe buy the Cabalist manual from Ebay too? :p

How you play the cabalist depends on your spec.
Don't randomly use AoE dot either!

Elewyth

Banned
AOE Dot is situational.. u really dont want to be landing it on open play unless they already been mezzed and they purged... Nearsight is your friend.. i usually open up by Nearsighting anything that moves and that includes pets.. that will give you breathing space from ranged attacks... MoC really isnt worth the points as a cabby... since you need high RR to get MoC3 and really it isnt gonna save you if its isnt MoC3 the dmg reduction is poo.. only really good for mezzers and healers tbh... physical defence RA is your new best friend.. coupled with the Charge on Belt Of Moon you can boost your resists if yer getting pin cushioned.. when i run solo its usually Nearsight..sic pet.. debuff..nuke nuke nuke etc.. if its a tank.. i still use nearsight cos they have pesky charges that hurt on some items.. so i NS.. Root.. get a bit of distance.. sic pet debuff.. nuke nuke nuke.. although that is on the rare occaision you meet a solo tank =(

jobrounity

Regular Freddie
Old.Elewyth said:
AOE Dot is situational.. u really dont want to be landing it on open play unless they already been mezzed and they purged... Nearsight is your friend.. i usually open up by Nearsighting anything that moves and that includes pets.. that will give you breathing space from ranged attacks... MoC really isnt worth the points as a cabby... since you need high RR to get MoC3 and really it isnt gonna save you if its isnt MoC3 the dmg reduction is poo.. only really good for mezzers and healers tbh... physical defence RA is your new best friend.. coupled with the Charge on Belt Of Moon you can boost your resists if yer getting pin cushioned.. when i run solo its usually Nearsight..sic pet.. debuff..nuke nuke nuke etc.. if its a tank.. i still use nearsight cos they have pesky charges that hurt on some items.. so i NS.. Root.. get a bit of distance.. sic pet debuff.. nuke nuke nuke.. although that is on the rare occaision you meet a solo tank =(

hmmm... dont completely understand but gives me an idea :)

this is my first caster char remember, only other char i got is 46 pally so i'm a bit deprived variety-wise ;)

aint got any artis yet either :(
so u recommend BoM for belt slot?

btw what spell u mean by nuke? DOT? AOE DOT?

ty for the help

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Nuke would be your lifetap (Essence devour).
Also don't overspam nearsight - it breaks mez.

Vindicator

One of Freddy's beloved
jobrounity said:
hmmm... dont completely understand but gives me an idea

this is my first caster char remember, only other char i got is 46 pally so i'm a bit deprived variety-wise

aint got any artis yet either :(
so u recommend BoM for belt slot?

btw what spell u mean by nuke? DOT? AOE DOT?

ty for the help

Depends on your spec mate.

If your matter spec'd. your best bet would be to sit inside keep /tower walls throwing your aoe dot on the attackers at any oppertunity while Nearsighting any caster / healer you see. Spamming your lifetap on any stealther who climbs walls etc.

If your Spirit spec'd you can do the same + when wandering with groups you will get to use, to great effect, your Body Debuff + Base lifetap spell to nuke for some tasty damage ! While keeping your stun pet with you at all times incase you get jumped. Its that or the Amber nuker pet to assist nuke you while you quick cast a snare on the stealther to jump you.

If your body spec seek a respec stone :D or make best friends with another sprit cabalist and marry them :>.

Also, no 'matter' your spec you should have 3 spirit for the power recycle trick ;>.

The best idea in RvR is to stay hidden as best as possibly while nuking the soft target's first. Like casters and low HP characters like Luri's, Kobolds. If your seen chances are you will be insta killed or mezzed and killed soon after. Purge should be your first RA. your useless without this really as CC > you. it's a get out of jail free card. Then you could save for MoC 3 as with that and your base lifetap not many things can solo you and gives you a nice way to deal your damage and stop damage on your self < killing enemy casters etc >. Having good Clerics is also important in RvR so try grp with guild 1's as much as possible and get to know them :>. A Buff bot will put you on equal footing for the most part 2 and those artifacts are needed also :D.

Your predicament is similar to this cliched saying. " Rome wasnt built in a day" well neither will your character so get your head down son and the points above are good tips to play when your ready.

jobrounity

Regular Freddie
Vindicator said:
Depends on your spec mate.

Sorry forgot to post my specc :(

I'm 50 matter 20 body 4 spirit

Do u mean that really the lifetap, at least in the short term is higher damage than any of the dots/aoe dot?

Sorry for being such a noob (asking all the questions) but this is , after all, the noob forum ;)

With the "Stun pet" u mean saphire?

Vindicator

One of Freddy's beloved
jobrounity said:
Sorry forgot to post my specc :(

I'm 50 matter 20 body 4 spirit

Do u mean that really the lifetap, at least in the short term is higher damage than any of the dots/aoe dot?

Sorry for being such a noob (asking all the questions) but this is , after all, the noob forum ;)

With the "Stun pet" u mean saphire?

No the spec'd dot would be better for damage over time. In a single action, the Lifetap is better yes. Say for example there's a Caster on 20% hp, you'd be better using your lifetap because if you cast a dot it will take 2-3 ticks of your dot to kill him which he may get a heal in that time. In saying that a good example of knowing when not to use your dot is, if the sorc cast's a mezz on lots of enemys / a fg of them. Do NOT cast your ae dot :D. Just select 1 target, /assist the main caster whichever and kill 1 by 1. Much better than ae dotting the group because you will break the mezz on them all and give them 1 minute mezz immunity, meaning they cannot be mezzed again, while that dot wont kill any of them and will be nullified in 1 heal most likely.

For keep sieges its a different story altogether, if you plan to roam around alot Spirit would be the best spec, as you get a really strong pet and great single DD nukes with base lifetap + Debuffing Body magic. With about 20 points in body and rest in matter for that uber nearsight ;>. Spirit can also be very useful for keep sieges 2 thou, poking your head over the wall debuff DD DD DD kill \o/ etc. Its really a choice of play stlye :>. Find your own and then stick with it till you get bored or fancy a change.

I mixed up the pet earlier. the nuker pet is the Ruby pet. the Stunning pet is the Amber pet :>. Its truly great to chain stun a tank running after you heh, letting you get away to nuke him silly \o/.

Well hope that helps some and dont worry, we was all noobs once. Alot still are and are just too proud to admit it :D.

Elewyth

Banned
in your spec you dont have access to the body debuff spell so your main damage without RA's will come from your DOT's (damage over time spells)
you get 3...

Base DOT
Spec DOT
AOE DOT...

you can stack (i.e combine 2 of these to hit together) if u cast AOE DOT then you cannot use your spec DOT beacuse they wont stack together.. you can only use ONE spec dot and the base dot..

NS = Nearsight... at your spec level its 65% i believe.. which is a pain in the arse to archers and casters..

if your trying to kill solo the best way ive found so far is the following:

Nearsight Target / Root / get a bit of distance / Send pet to attack / Cast Spec Damage over time / Cast Base Damage over Time and run... when my Dot's hit they were doing a combined Damage of about 200-300 per tick..

roughly 125-146 for Spec DOT and 120-130 for Base DOT, doesnt sound like a lot but look at it this way..

Your spec DOT lasts for 6 ticks so asuming the max dmg

146x6 = 876 dmg

Base DOT is 5 ticks

127x5 = 635 dmg

876 + 635 = 1511 dmg total

now ofc you have to factor in Resists and RA's like purge... but ive killed casters using the Double DOT and kite method... in keep sieges your best bet is to do what i did and hide in the ramparts.. pick a target and spam AOE DOT when he gets close, ive hit upto 20+ people at once before and when they all die thats a fair few RP's comming your way, on the first night of NF i made 25k rp's just doing that... went from 2L9 - 3L1 or 2 cant recall.

Realm Ability Wise mine are quite situational RA's i have Wild minion for my pet, Juggernaut 1 and Wild power and MCL2....
But then im back spirit spec so my pet does a fair chunk of dmg..
if you want Max Carnage from your DOTs go with Wild Power and maybe a few levels of Mastery of Magery... some people have scoffed at me spending 15pts on MCL2 but 60% power every 3 mins means im never out of power.. past that im taking Negative Maelstrom3 next... which is more keep orientated i think tbh..

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Don't forget disease. It's actually your best CC when you are kiting DoT:ed enemies as a Matter Cabalist, and it doesn't break root, so cast it whenever you can.

Elewyth

Banned
Belomar said:
Don't forget disease. It's actually your best CC when you are kiting DoT:ed enemies as a Matter Cabalist, and it doesn't break root, so cast it whenever you can.

aye what he says ..disease works as a mini low level snare and stops them healing during ticks..

jobrounity

Regular Freddie
thx for all the advice, really gonna help a lot i think :)

Its funny how before NF, there were no cabbies and now the place is full of them - i knew my toon would become FOTM some time :)

FOTM3 that is as inf/scout r the "real" FOTM ;)

Jpeg[LOD]

Fledgling Freddie
in rvr u can only learn from experience imo.

but a cple of tips..

Dont rush in front ... lets your tanks run in 1st and take the main dmge . whilst u sit back away from there tanks and nuke there support/casters

NS "nearsight" is your friend. NS enemy casters/support before u try nuke them. cos if they have a faster cast time . whilst your casting he will beat u to it n nuke ya to death.whereas if u have enemy caster ns'd .. u should kill him before he kills you :)

try not to nuke pet classes unless your assisting sum1 else , or your sure ya can win, cos if u nuke 1-2 times and his pet reaches u. your free rp's for the pet class cos he aint being interupted (unless u sent your pet 1st)

similer to above.. dont be RP geedy. be patient and the RP's will come . those whome run ahead n act like lemmings.. as u will notice are always the 1st to die. use your head n stay back n be one of last to die :)

get yaself toa'd fully sc'd and buffed (makes a HUGE difference)

DONT AE nuke/dot anything .... cos if your sorc has landed his mezz then u have the upper hand. but if u break mezz/root with a AE spell . odd's are your gonna be one of the 1st to die (your a caster thats how it works) and maybe even give upper hand to enemy by breaking CC.

keep ya pet on passive more often (unless u know archer/nuker in range) cos if u meet a melee class 1v1 if u root/mezz the melee class. if your pets on aggro etc he gonna break your own root/mez... where as if u put him on passive u can sumwhat safely root/mezz him and then run to get range to then debuff and nuke. if ranged classes in area. keep it on aggro (imo) so your pet can aggro them and hopefully interupt them before u die. asap.

if in a FGVFG fight . hide behind trees/bushes etc etc if possible. never stand in the open if u can avoid it. that way your life will lastlonger cos enemy wont be able to pick u out as easy .

jobrounity

Regular Freddie
thx again for adivice,

did reasonably well 2day in Mid, was there when we captured the keep :)

also dinged rr2l6 :) died way less because im getting used to char... dont know about Sc'd / toa.. just aint got the money/time, prefer dying twice as often in RvR without them than doing boring arti lvling/raids... might do in the future though.

cog

Can't get enough of FH
Yarr, dps from body debuff+base lt will be far far higher than dot. Considering the speed with which most (open field) fights take place now, DoTs just dont have the raw dps. They can be good for keep defence/attack though I guess, but theres a reason why there are so many spirit cabs around now. You can always side spec matter and throw a few points into getting a couple of lvls of MoFocus to drop resist rates if you wanna ae at keep fights.

Elewyth

Banned
jobrounity said:
thx for all the advice, really gonna help a lot i think :)

Its funny how before NF, there were no cabbies and now the place is full of them - i knew my toon would become FOTM some time :)

FOTM3 that is as inf/scout r the "real" FOTM ;)

haha dont get me started... i had a cabbie pre 1.54 when i speccd spirit i was told i was a looney... i also had a cabbie before we got our DEX/QUI and run buffs... cabbys have come a long way.. and theres still some fixing i believe needs doing to make them what theyre supposed to be... like perhaps giving our pets either a castable ABS or AF buff to help with the fact theyre blue con and and get wtfpwnd by all melee and casters quickly.. but yes people saw the advantage of Debuff nuking.. god it only took them 2 years.. when hibbies had been doing it since forever.. and once shunned from groups cabbies find them easily now.. which is always good.. i expect a lot of these new cabbies will quit when NF has settled.. which is also good..

Elewyth

Banned
Artifact Wise youll want to consider the following... look em up and see what abilities you like:

Belt Of Moon - 10% x3 resist charge for 30s/Summon 4% cast speed staff
Traldors Oracle - 5% cast speed / 5% resist pierce (30min timer tho :mad: )
Mad Scalars - Wolf Morph (always fun!!) / and some other goodies
Jacina's Sash - Slightly harder to get now u need help from others and cant FDS solo it..
Staff of Gods - i got this one for Stealth Lore (nice popping stelfers and sending pet)
Guard of Valor - a must imo for all casters/hybrids and is next on my hitlist

any others you add will be for fluff like me, i got Dreamsphere for group panther form, Kalares necklace for Heal/End/Power over time charge and Alvarus leggings for shark morph.200% speed/ and underwater breathing.

Its quite daunting when u first start TOA, my main advice is if you CAN farm the scroll yourself DO IT, it not only makes you money in the process but you also learn more about the TOA areas and mobs in them.

good webpages include...

www.visionofsages.net/toa - ignore most of the american retard comments
http://daoc.warcry.com - imo best Quest site ever searchable by level

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Dots are gimp, cabbie top spec ae dot on me was hitting below 50 (after ml7). :p

jobrounity

Regular Freddie
Old.Elewyth said:
Artifact Wise youll want to consider the following... look em up and see what abilities you like:

Belt Of Moon - 10% x3 resist charge for 30s/Summon 4% cast speed staff
Traldors Oracle - 5% cast speed / 5% resist pierce (30min timer tho :mad: )
Mad Scalars - Wolf Morph (always fun!!) / and some other goodies
Jacina's Sash - Slightly harder to get now u need help from others and cant FDS solo it..
Staff of Gods - i got this one for Stealth Lore (nice popping stelfers and sending pet)
Guard of Valor - a must imo for all casters/hybrids and is next on my hitlist

any others you add will be for fluff like me, i got Dreamsphere for group panther form, Kalares necklace for Heal/End/Power over time charge and Alvarus leggings for shark morph.200% speed/ and underwater breathing.

Its quite daunting when u first start TOA, my main advice is if you CAN farm the scroll yourself DO IT, it not only makes you money in the process but you also learn more about the TOA areas and mobs in them.

good webpages include...

www.visionofsages.net/toa - ignore most of the american retard comments
http://daoc.warcry.com - imo best Quest site ever searchable by level

hehe thx for all the advice mate :)

u say u haven't got guard of valor yet? if ur on exp maybe we could do the encounter together - u know for a bit of cabbie comradeship ;)

cog

Can't get enough of FH
Tartaro's Gift is a better staff than both Traldor and SoG.

MCL2 charge and better ToA bonuses...

Brend

Fledgling Freddie
cog said:
Tartaro's Gift is a better staff than both Traldor and SoG.

MCL2 charge and better ToA bonuses...

traldors + scrolls vv easy to get though as he said he maybe cba with artis yet

cog

Can't get enough of FH
Oh yeah I forgot how easy Mad Tales are to get aswell... :p

cog

Can't get enough of FH
Well then there wouldnt be a problem getting Tartaro scrolls over SoG or Traldor would there :)

Although the Tartaro encounter might be a bit tougher I spose :p

Exinferis

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
Dots are gimp, cabbie top spec ae dot on me was hitting below 50 (after ml7). :p

on you perhaps, but im hitting ppl for 300 a tick with aedot, which is quite fun

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
The AOE Dot are good for RvR. In keep takes, defence, in co-ordination with other casters and siege weapons, they are good way to 1) earn Rps by getting some tick damage in on a lot of people and 2) in conjunction with the Disease spells, you stand a good chance of making the enemy run round like headless chickens, specially if you get both DOT and disease on the healer. If you get a nice Crit on an AOE dot (best I've had is one where the targets were dotted for between 100-150 damage depending on resists) that can really ruin peoples day.

But as everyone here has said, don't AOE in open field combat and break mezz. Save it for when you definitely have the upperhand and/or when all mezz is broken anyway.

I like both the spec and regular DOT simply because with Wild Power, the damage from a crit is quite respectable and if you crit with both on a single target, they are either going to HAVE to purge, or hope to high heaven that their healer is up and running. It depends on the circumstances though, which you'll only get through experience, where you just sense that getting a dot on someone is better than just going for a nuke.

NS is king for for keep defence and takes. Also good if you spot enemies who are inc and out of your groups mezz range. Fire off as many as you can as quick as you can before your group goes to mezz. Buys some extra time for your mezz caster.

Disease, the virtues of which have already been discussed.

In a group situation a Matter/Body spec Cabby is a damn good support tool. I find myself more and more doing damage spells less if I'm with a good group and concentrating on keeping the enemy diseased and NS'd, then rooting wherever I can.

Elewyth

Banned
Exinferis said:
on you perhaps, but im hitting ppl for 300 a tick with aedot, which is quite fun

aye average DOT ticks i saw were around 150-240

hit a kobbie with crit on both DOt's once.. that was nasty... first one landed for 298 and 2nd hit for 265... x5 & x6 he died... but mostly NS Dbl DOT and run is the order of the day... although im evil i like to run them into my Negative Malestrom aswell if they decide to chase..heh... gotta love insta cast 350radius scaling DOT...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom