BW @ Wikipedia

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
I think that Barrys World does deserve a place in the Wikipedia. If someone could write an unbiased, non promotional piece about it's original concept, it's birth, troubles, successes and finally it's end. I think this would make an interesting piece. Promotion of web sites and companies is not tolerated but you cannot promote what doesn't exist, although the mention of FH is a legitimate part of the story.

The small print reads thus :

Articles about companies and products are fine if they are written in an objective and unbiased style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not

Some may think why bother? That is a fair comment but if anyone can be bothered (looks at Rob as the man for the job) then I think it should be a feature in the Winipedia, from a Uk online gaming history point of view. History may well live on through the tried and tested word of mouth amongst the natives but if it is officially logged in the WikipediA it is there for all to remember as an official piece on a credible data base for as long as the WikipediA exists. The story might as well be repeated here as well, I see no reason why not myself.

This is not a light hearted task if taken seriously, my vote for content management would be Rob SAS but whoever does it should liase closely with the BW founders. I would do it myself but being ducksluxik I have to read everything 5 times for mistakes and break everything down into small paragraphs, it would take forever and I am likely to fuck it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Barrys_World&action=edit

Clown

Part of the furniture
How can we promote something that doesn't exist/is dead?

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
]AC[dRuM said:
you cannot promote what doesn't exist

Good point that Mr C ;)

As well as deciding who is going to write this piece there are issues surrounding contribution, why not ask people to contribute their own stories and recollections of BW's past and post them on here. Not only will this be interesting but also may server to jog the memory of the writers, this can only add greater weight to the documents credibility.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Wikipedia is far more about a knowledge base. It's not about promoting anything.

The other critical thing about Wikipedia is that it's not about organising stuff here. It's a free medium, that's the point. If someone wants to put in a historical entry about Barrysworld then they should go for it. If they make a mistake then someone else can just log in and correct it.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
BarrysWorld :p

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Shovel said:
Wikipedia is far more about a knowledge base. It's not about promoting anything.

The other critical thing about Wikipedia is that it's not about organising stuff here. It's a free medium, that's the point. If someone wants to put in a historical entry about Barrysworld then they should go for it. If they make a mistake then someone else can just log in and correct it.

good point.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
"written in an objective and unbiased style" - this should be interesting ;)

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
]AC[dRuM you mentioned my name. Although I know BW's history I don't think I could do it justice. Ted's the man :)

Or could use most of this announcement? Contains a brief overview of BarrysWorld's history.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
As pointed out the Wikipeaida is designed as a public access tool, that is something I lost sight of. I kind of hoped someone would decide to write the article with help from the BW founders. Teds post is good, but it is too personal (if you see what i mean?) but agree it is a start. To make the entry credible it would have to be written by a third party that can liase with Ted, Deebs etc... and whoever else would want to contribute ideas & thoughts.

I totally agree with Shovel about it being public access and something to build upon, I just thought that some organisation would allow people to give it some direction and hopefully create a credible piece.

Thats not too say that as a collective Joe Public cannot interface with the Wikipedia and work towards a collective piece, some might even think that is better. If I had a choice in things it would be for an article that clearly demonstrated the brilliance of BW but at the same time was not frightened to highlight were it went wrong etc. In no way shape or form a critic but a 'true' life story documenting it's birth, formation, growth and death a real life story, warts and all. Most of all highlighting the impact it had on the UK online scene at the time.

A key feature would be the bonds and friendships made during this time that still exist today. To be any good it has to honest, the writer has to be prepared to be honest with his / her self as well as with those who would be reading it. To write or participate in an 'honest no holds barred autobiography' is no easy undertaking by any stretch of the imagination.

If the people who contribute look long and hard enough into themselves and can assemble an article that pulls no punches, whilst at the same time is frank with the reader in an intelligent capacity then this article would be big news. There are a good few who would be interested to report that it had been done in such a way.

It's easy for me too say, I'm not even going to try and write it, I don't feel I have the qualities needed or the relevant background knowledge. As a player / fan I was only privy to glimpses at the front line public end. Plenty of different ways of looking at this and some very good points raised, where it goes from here is up to whoever. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom