buying a new grfx card

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I am buying a new grfx card soon but not really sure what to get, i would like to be able to record daoc. any suggestions?

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
ati 9600 or better
nvidia 4200ti or better.
will do the job.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
meerclar said:
ati 9600 or better
nvidia 4200ti or better.
will do the job.

ty :)

ps i am from Northants too :) live in shitty surrey now though :/

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
radeon 9600 pro (pro being important so you dont get the lowbudget processor as in 99% of the models not having the pro tag)
its affordabel and great.

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
Wabbit said:
9800 XT even better :)

XT better and costs a lot more :)
I've read you can flash your pro to XT .. but not something I risk my card on :)

I'm a software geek, not a hardware one.

Carrera

Fledgling Freddie
Get a 9800 pro if you can. Very good card, not worth paying extra for an XT. If you can't afford it get a 9600 pro as mentioned before

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Get the geforce 6800 when it's out in june if you can wait. :p

If not the geforce titanium models 4600-4800 are good aswell as the radeon 9800xt

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
get the new ati card when it comes it, it will >>>>>> geforce 6800 or what ever :D

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
its all well and good telling ppl to buy the latest whatever card but has it ever occured to you folks that perhaps a new gfx card isnt the most important financial commitment for everyone?
i suggested the minimum priced cards for what Raven asked about.
i personally play games as a hobby.
before gfx cards and stuff i pay my mortgage,bills,food and clothe my family.
please try to keep a sense of reality when answering ppl`s questions here.

Bellona

Banned
wait until ATI releases their new X800 series, then prices will drop on the 9800pro/xt, get one of these :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Bellona said:
wait until ATI releases their new X800 series, then prices will drop on the 9800pro/xt, get one of these :)

ideally yes but evertime i play daoc atm i get screen freeze and heavy lag, not to mention the low fps getting annoying so need one asap :)

thanks for the help all :)

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
harebear said:
get the new ati card when it comes it, it will >>>>>> geforce 6800 or what ever :D

Not really, it's only personal preferance anyway they never end, i.e next geforce card better then ati one is, then ati release a better one than that and so on.

Raven this card is decent and not so costly:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/graphicscards/productView.htm?quicklinx=2ZZ9

You might be able to get it cheaper i am not sure, just giving an example of a decent card.

Carrera

Fledgling Freddie
The current batch of graphics cards won't go down in price when the new ones come out, they just get discontinued

Drummer

Fledgling Freddie
Squalion i'm playing with a 32MB geforce².......;don't mùake fun of it, used to play with a 16MB GFX card until i got a new computer ;D

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
well only game i plan on getting that will really need 3d card in the near future is half life 2, valve (or who ever make it :p) seem to be leaning towards ATI as i see some special offers involving HL2 and ati cards =]

SeeN

Fledgling Freddie
Dont get a Radeon card unless you really like green...

My Radeon 9600pro makes DAOC green (no Emain jokes pls). Looks like entire game has had a semi-transparent green wrapper put on it.

After several mails and phone calls with shop, GOA and ATI they simply concluded that this is how DAOC look on a Radeon card.

Working as intended...

Wabbit

Fledgling Freddie
SeeN said:
Dont get a Radeon card unless you really like green...

My Radeon 9600pro makes DAOC green (no Emain jokes pls). Looks like entire game has had a semi-transparent green wrapper put on it.

After several mails and phone calls with shop, GOA and ATI they simply concluded that this is how DAOC look on a Radeon card.

Working as intended...

Stop taking the pills then....game looks great on my Ati Radeon 9800 XT

Rage

Fledgling Freddie
Greetings

I recently bought a radeon 9600XT great value for the low price it is at. If you dont have the other hardware to support it I doubt getting a top end GFX card will be worth the money it costs, since RAM and bus speeds also have a huge impact on game performance. As a side note I do not get a green semi transparent wrapper like SeeN, and I suggest checking drivers or going back to the store asking for a replacement card to check if its the same. Not all hardware you buy are 100% working so you might have been unlucky, strange though if it is only in daoc.

with regards
Rage

SeeN

Fledgling Freddie
Have newest drivers (tried about 5 different), have reinstalled both DAOC and full reinstall of Windows. Shop says there is nothing wrong with card...

I maybe wouldnt have noticed it so much if it wasnt because I was so used to seeing DAOC on my good old (but unfortunately dead) GeForce4 Ti4200 card.

If you got access to another gfx card, try to play with that and see if game doesnt get a lot less green...

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
On some systems Radeon's do fuck up the gfx. I have alot of GFX bugs with this 9700pro. Problems started with TOA.

Give GeForce 6800 Ultra :>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom