Buying a new computer

Dax

Fledgling Freddie
I'm currently using a PC World bought compaq thing that is dying a horrible slow noisy death.

I want a new PC. Mainly for gaming. I know building my own can be the cheapest option but i'm not sure about the parts i'd need and i've never built my own from scratch before. Most i've done is a few upgrades.

If I want to just buy a new PC where should I be looking ?

I don't have any particular specs in mind, except a massive HD and something that could at least run HL2 and have decent upgradability.

I know thats all a bit vague but thats thats why i'm asking you.

:m00:

Edit: Oh yeah my budget isn't really an issue but I don't wanna go nuts.

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
Motherboard
Case to put it in
PDU to supply power
Processor
Memory
Disk drive(s)
Graphics card
Sound card (if motherboard aint got onboard, or you want summat stupidly flash)
DVD/CD drive(s)
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Then some software (e.g. an operating system)

Think that about does it.
Well... providing you make sure all them bits are the right bits to plug into the other bits of course.

You don't want me to tell you exactly what bits to order do you :eek6:

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
If budget isn't an issue then I'll build you the best friggin gaming system in the world for 20% commission. PM me :)

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Custom PC (new high-end mag by the PcPro crew) recently reviewed 4 £4000-5000 gaming PCs :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Dax said:
I'm currently using a PC World bought compaq thing that is dying a horrible slow noisy death..

You sure about that.

They usually just go BANG! and its over ;)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
yes, you'll get one of those little boxes that goes ppffzzt :D

For me, premade? - well, I would go Dell. I mean, there are some kinks in Dell computers - but tbh, they are moneysworth and reliable.

A few months back they introduced a gaming rig...

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_xps?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

I can't vouch for this pc myself...but Dell do good support...we have plenty of Dells in the office & they never break.

If you dont like the Dells, people say Athlon 64s are very good for gaming.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
by the way...if you want to chance building your own but dont want alot of hard work, shuttle do small form factor where you get case + cooling solution (inc cpu cooling) + psu & a decent range of mobos, many with onboard sound, gigabit LAN, USB, Firewire, SPDIF......you just need to buy cpu, HD, CDROM (floppy ??), RAM, graffix card, Monitor, Mouse and keyboard....all easy to fit :)

www.shuttle.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom