Motoring Buying a new car, advice needed

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
In the works of buying a new car, have my sight on a Ford Mustang GT 4.0 V8, used one, probably 2007-8 or 2009 version model. They have a few cheap ones in Germany that im thinking of traveling there and buying. Anyone here have experience with this car?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Is it the one with the machine guns that pop out from behind the headlights or the one with the rocket launchers that hidden behind the air intake?

<shuffles feet>

Sorry, as shown above. No idea.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
do you really wanna get a gas guzzler with todays gas prices and tax penalties?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They look nice but I don't think they like corners very much.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
I have always liked mustangs. Unfortunately don't have the money available atm to buy one.

I have never owned one but know a bit about them.

The 4.0 V8 engine will do about 15-20 MPG in the town.

25MPG on the motorway.

What driving are you going to be doing in it? (you want to avoid bendy country lanes)

Lethul

FH is my second home
I have always liked mustangs.

Me too, until this new ugly mfer came out!

1967_Ford_MustangFastbackEleanor1.jpg

<3

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's not a bad car, as far as ponies go, but as said, it corners as good as a...well...american car :D

Which is good if you can drive one. Otherwise you'll be in a ditch on day one.

Power, looks, the roar of the amrican beast under the hood, all are there.

People won't think of you as a cock, not as a big as in an Audi anyway, but don't try to pass it off as a muscle car to those who own a REAL muscle car, you'll get laughed at...and worse :p

It's a car that's easy to fix with a rubber band and a piece of gum(newer cars aren't THAT good to fix, but managable).

BUT...you could get a lot better cars for that money. Take the age a bit older, the car a bit more "non-expensive/non-classic"(like a charger) and you can get a better performance car, with better looks(depends) and even better handling.

Ofcourse if you want handling, don't go american at all, but that shouldn't stop you :p

If you have to have a Mustang, a GT500KR would perform(without the nice bits of the new one) as good as that, with less price(again depends) and ofciourse, if you drop the year to +/- '67, yoiu'll get better deals(just remember a thorough check before buying, lot of cheats out there).

Ofcourse, if you REALLY want a Mustang;

richards-1967-ford-mustang-super-snake-elenaor-gt500-cover.jpg

...is the only option :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, the silly UK car insurance thingies might effect things like age etc...don't know at all about those.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its a lovely car. Its rather large though - they're very imposing on the road.

I wouldn't worry too much about mpg, yes you'll not get any more than 30mpg or so, but the unstressed V8 will run forever.

Most people who say that "American cars don't go around corners" are speaking from inexperience, and from driving a FWD Corsa. This car will go just fine around corners, although if you've not driven a performance RWD car before I suggest you take things easy for a bit - oversteer takes a bit of getting used to.

The interior trim will be ok, but not to the standards of say, Audi.

Go for it IMO. You'll have a ball, and everyone loves the sound of a V8 - it will give you an erection.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Where are you looking at buying it from in Germany out of interest? A firm or an individual selling it

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Where are you looking at buying it from in Germany out of interest? A firm or an individual selling it

There are a few individual people selling, but mostly firms.. and there are many of em to pick from.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
One day I shall get around to buying one of these - loved them since I saw one as a kid at a show - <drool>

File:1981 pontiac trans am.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What a piece of junk. Probably best not to make car buying decisions based on 70s/80s cop shows.

NB. There are no good American cars from the 80s. Not one.

As for the Mustang that started this; its alright. I had one as a hire car and it wasn't awful, although the interior is a bit plasticky. Sounds nice and was OK on American roads, didn't really take it on any proper driving roads though. A similar vintage 350Z would drive rings around it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom