Motoring Buying a car privately

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Freds,

I had a most shite weekend where my Fiesta (well, the wife's Fiesta) got written off because a dick in a Range Rover reversed into it and bent the steering rack (his tow bar smashed into the wheel) amongst other things, so we're now on the look for another car.

She's paying for it and wants a similar car without paying fortunes; she wants a cheap to run and insure run-about that's not a complete banger.

We spotted a 2003 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec with 45k miles on the clock, full non-Ford service history, leccy windows, 1 year MOT (no advisaries), 6 months tax - asking price is £2850 ONO. A look on Parker's suggests the following for the same car with 70k miles:

Private Good £2,500
Private Poor £2,030

We went out and had a look at the car tonight and I made the following general observations:

- car has been smoked in at some point (I noticed, gf didn't), but interior generally pretty clean
- four alloys are in good nick, very minor scuffs on a couple
- four tyres are on the tread wear indicator, so it needs 4 tyres very soon
- there is a scrape up the side (minus dent, not down to primer) covering both doors low down, could mitigate this with some T cut
- there are general nicks on the paint to be expected on a car of 7 years
- suspension feels fine, brake discs look quite clean, very slight lip
- didn't drive it this time, but started perfectly, sounded good and the woman took us out for a drive - no clunks, noises or anything to worry about
- all electrics worked ok (lights, windows, fan, CD player etc.)
- spare wheel there and intact
- minor corrosion inside the doors on the sills, I've seen this on most Fords of this age
- several stamps in the book at non-Ford garages, but I'd heard of them as they aren't far from me
- MOT document does indeed clear it for a year, no orange paper for warnings

Now - in terms of price, the guide price is for a mileage that's nearly double the car we looked at, but given that it needs four tyres and the several nicks in the paint (including a sizeable one up the side), how much room for negotiation is there? I was going to make them an offer no more than £2500?

What do you think?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
wife? you got married? o0

old.user4556

No, I refer to most people's partners as "the wife".

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
ooh oh arr ok :) well, tbh I wouldn't go a thing without driving it myself, other than that, it's clearly not in pristine condition, so I certainly would not pay the asking price or anywhere near there. other than that, as you like.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Private in good nick the guide says £2500 on a car with 70k on the clock, so I don't really think you have much room there. I'd probably go for £2,600 as it needs new tyres and settle at £2,700.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I wouldn't touch that Fiesta with a bargepole.

Why aren't you getting an MX-5?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
cause an mx-5 is not a cheap runabout .. its a hairdressers car

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You appear not to know what you're talking about.

old.user4556

Tom it's for the girlfriend, she's 22 and insurance is still an absolute pisser. Remember, she's also a woman who cares fuck-all for motoring / thrill factor. She wants a Fiesta.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Seems fine Big G, you seem to be getting a bargain anyway, but it's always worth putting a low offer in as they may agree.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
1995 MX-5, you'll get one for a grand. They're piss cheap to run, easy to maintain, hold their value at that age, and it doesn't have a roof.

A 22-year-old woman in a car without a roof, in summer. She'll love it.

old.user4556

Tom this isn't even a discussion about "what car", trust me she's cried several times over the past few days (uncontrollably) about her beloved 10 year old rust bucket fiesta "going to the garage in the sky" and she's delighted that she might be replacing it with a newer, more shiny fiesta.

This is a woman, they don't make sense! :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I have a knackered old Fiesta she can replace it with! He is my friend and I call him Rusty! :D

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
If your first offer doesn't physically embarass you it is too high. Offer them 2k, then take it from there.

Of course I say this as someone who didn't negotiate at all on my recent Beemer, but it felt churlish considering just how much car I got for 1500 notes. That and it has one of the finest production engines of all time in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom