business studies/economics: pyramid of skills development?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Does anyone know the theory or terminology behind this?

The idea that as an economy develop, the skilled quantify their skills and the unskilled jump onto the pyramid at the bottom. Then further developments encourage the bottom people to quantify in skill and more unskilled jump on etc.

I'm sure I've read about it somewhere but I cannot find the theory behind it!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
um not too hot on economics but there was a kick arse economist called Maynard Keynes, he may have had a theory about this... even if not his stuff is good to read :) sorry i couldn't have been any more help bugzy
xx

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Oi you fucks - answer!

It's not the answer I wanted Ez but I will agree with you that he is a kickarse economist and If I could have his babies - I would! ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I used to fall asleep in the economics module (literally) when i did CIMA, most boring subject ever. Was a few years ago so can't help you either

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
bus_profile.gif

huhuh

sorry

Laddey

FH is my second home
Would i be classed as under educated if i said

I havn't the foggiest fucking clue what this thread is about? :D

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I found Himse at his job!

baby_on_computer.jpg

On-topic - does anyone have the foggiest clue? I swear it's not a theory I've made up myself - I've read about it somewhere god damn!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Does anyone know the theory or terminology behind this?

The idea that as an economy develop, the skilled quantify their skills and the unskilled jump onto the pyramid at the bottom. Then further developments encourage the bottom people to quantify in skill and more unskilled jump on etc.

I'm sure I've read about it somewhere but I cannot find the theory behind it!

seems to me as people get more skilled they will leave the shitter jobs. thus making space for the idiots to get a job and learn skills. and the process continues.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Pyramids are so 80s man, get with the program, use circles. :eek7:

svg-circle-intro.jpg

By the way, if you need forum help to explain that pyramid to you or to come up with a "theory" about it on your own, you're either A: Lazy or B: Very silly.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
see! there are helpful people in FHOT....

*notes down time and place of last helpful person sighting*

Hmm interesting

swords

Can't get enough of FH
Would it be something like this?

1. New area emerges which requires people with a particular skill set
2. At this stage demand for skills (the commodity) is greater than the supply.
3. People are encouraged to train in these skills to fill the gap (there is cash on the table).
4. Eventually the gap is bridged and supply outweighs demand.
5. People starting on the bottom find it increasingly more difficult to progress in the area as the people at the top prefferentially remain there, stagnating upward progression.
6. Eventually the cost/benefit ratio for people to train in these new skills is not goo enough to encourage people coming in on the bottom level and so the market for these skills stagnates.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Pyramids are so 80s man, get with the program, use circles. :eek7:

svg-circle-intro.jpg

By the way, if you need forum help to explain that pyramid to you or to come up with a "theory" about it on your own, you're either A: Lazy or B: Very silly.

Or perhaps there is already a theory about it and I am asking if anyone knows the name of it?

It does help to read the first post before you reply! :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Or perhaps there is already a theory about it and I am asking if anyone knows the name of it?

It does help to read the first post before you reply! :)

The way ou worded it was that you were looking for the theory, not simply the name, and as such, not being able to logically write down the theory, would be silly.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
The way ou worded it was that you were looking for the theory, not simply the name, and as such, not being able to logically write down the theory, would be silly.

Well If I've said what the theory is and I'm asking is someone knows about it then I am not:

a) coming up with a theory
b) asking someone to explain it to me.

Now hush and find the fuckin name of the theory! :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well If I've said what the theory is and I'm asking is someone knows about it then I am not:

a) coming up with a theory
b) asking someone to explain it to me.

Now hush and find the fuckin name of the theory! :D

I wasn't claiming you of A: coming up with a theory B: asking someone to explain it.

So you jsut want a name for it? Call it pyramideconomics with an added explanation and i think it'll pass for whateer reason you need it(which would be nice to say).

And i'm not arguing about anything, now that you said "i need a name", fine, but in the original post which i replied to, it wasn't implied as such simplicity.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Well, it seemed pretty clear to others but fine, asking for the theory/terminology behind an idea does constitute me perhaps asking for help in coming up with a theory and/or wanting it explained to me.

I sent Oxford's Economic Department an e-mail asking for help so I'll get back to you all if they reply! The suspense must be killing...

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I'm in the last few weeks of my Applied Economics degree and I have no idea what you are talking about ;). The closest thing I can think of is a Business Studies theory where there is a 5 step pyramid of needs that an employees has stretching from a basic job security all the way to self-actualisation or some other such hippy bollocks.

I really think you may have got the wrong end of the stick somewhere though, 'quantify their skill' makes zero sense in that context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom