Building a PC, need some advice

G

Gekul

Been looking at my options and considering the following:
Asus A7V8X mobo, xp2400 cpu, 80gig 133 udma, Radeon 9500 pro and all the other necessary parts (memory, case etc).
What shops would you recommend? who has the lowest prices?

Being tight fisted atm so any help on saving me money would be really helpful :)

J

Jonty

Hi Gekul

This online shops thread outlines the main online shops which people regularly buy from. My advice is to take your time and shop around for the best deal (obviously :D). If at all possible, try and order all your components from just one or two companies, as this then means you don't have to pay postage and packing several times over as you would when ordering from lots of different companies.

Kind Regards

N

north_star

I would also checkout any local hardware stores. Majority of these sell at the same price as online stores and it's alot easier to RMA products if you have problems.

T

Testin da Cable

I'd not get that V but go for the N tbh

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
I'd not get that V but go for the N tbh
I agree :) Admittedly the Asus A7V8X-X does cost quite a bit less than the A7N8X (Deluxe), but the latter does come with a lot more desirable components, which also help to make it more 'future proof'. Plus, as with all nForce2 boards, the integrated components are of a good enough standard so as to save you the money of buying, say, a dedicated network card and a dedicated soundcard etc.
Code:
Asus A7V8X-X                A7N8X Deluxe

3x 184pin DDR-SDRAM ports   3x 184pin DDR-SDRAM ports
6x PCI slots                5x PCI slots
1x AGP 4x/8x slot           1x AGP Pro 4x/8x slot
DDR400 support              Dual Channel DDR400 support
2x UDMA133                  2x UDMA133
6x USB 2.0 ports            Serial ATA150 Controller
                            6x USB 2.0 ports
                            Firewire IEEE 1394 ports
                            Onboard Dual 3com & Nvidia LAN
                            nVidia SoundStorm 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio
                            nVidia nForce 2 Chipset Features
Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

I have a 1.3 rev N version and it's just spinky. the only issue I have with it is that the on-bord 3com lan adapter doesn't always get properly activated by winXP. one must then turn the adapter off and on again in networking properties before it will work. probably a driver thing.

J

Jonty

I have a 1.3 rev N version and it's just spinky. the only issue I have with it is that the on-bord 3com lan adapter doesn't always get properly activated by winXP. one must then turn the adapter off and on again in networking properties before it will work. probably a driver thing.
I assume you have all the latest updates and this (I presume is relevant) LAN driver?

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

yeah Jonty, I do. perhaps I've borked it slightly though, as this install I'm working with atm is still my initial "see if it all works" install one and nothing serious. you should see my DX install! it boggles the mind, let alone the graphics card!
my morrowind addiction dictates that I can't reinstall just yet though :)

J

Jonty

Hello TdC :D

Well I've had a fairly good search and there doesn't seem to be one common problem as you describe, so perhaps it is just current ad-hoc configuration :)

As for Morrowind, I refuse to buy it, as it has helped further erode some of my friends' social lives :p. It's one of those games where you sit down for a quick play, look up a few moments later and realise three days have passed for which you have no recollection :D

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Sorry Gekul, this post has meandered off topic :(

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Jonty

It's one of those games where you sit down for a quick play, look up a few moments later and realise three days have passed for which you have no recollection :D

indeed. "I'll only play for an hour or so" takes on a whole new meaning :)

G

Gekul

Thanks for the help, a few sites there I hadn't heard of that will save me a few pounds here and there :)
Unfortunately I can't justify spending too much at the moment :(, I already have a decent NIC and soundcard in my current PC that I'll swap over when the time comes so there would have to be quite a few extras for the A7N to be worthwhile.

Haven't had the time for morrowind myself, it's still sitting here on my shelf, but when I first played it I spent hours on it and didn't feel like I had gotten anywhere. If I can set aside a few hours I may give it another go, it doesn't feel like a game you can just hop in to though :)

Thanks again for the help :)

X

xane

OMG ! That is _exactly_ the same problem I have had since day one of XP with my Netgear FA312 NIC.

Can you find out the NIC chipset please.

T

Testin da Cable

well windows (or rather, the driver calls itself a-) says it's a 3Com 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller

I don't use the other built-in NIC that nVidia makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom