Bugger it... need holiday ideas!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
So I haven't been on holiday for nearly 3 years (the legendary vegas trip when I arrived back in London on 11/09/2001, glad that wasn't for 2 weeks!) and I recently came into some money, so was planning on going on holiday to florida with a friend of mine, who today cancels! :( Can't make it because he failed the last year of his architecture degree or something. Ludicrous excuse IMHO! :p

Holidays not booked yet, but all my other mates have already booked theirs (to completely uninteresting places like the lake district, or couple & family hell, so it look's like I'm on my own and looking for suggestions.

Haven't booked leave yet, but looking at my calendar can prob do last week august/first week september, or a week in mid-september.

Budget isn't a major problem (got about 1.5k), but I'm a bit picky. Looked into the whole singles holiday thing, but it looks like I'm too young for that (28 in a few weeks). I'm also pretty shy until people get to know me, and going on holiday on my own is very new to me.

What I like:

Sun
Nightlife
Good restaurants
Theme parks
A bit of culture

What I don't like:

Screaming kids & families
Sub-humans & neanderthals
Having to stretch my 'poor' foreign language skills (I already know english, some spanish, techie, roleplaying, & wargaming, and I'm starting to pick up management, that's enough for me ;))
Mainland Spain (I can't go, I'll run into family and that will ruin the holiday with visits to this 2nd cousin and this great-aunt, and you must meet these people...).

Any suggestions?

venus

Fledgling Freddie
I went to Crete last year which was ideal because you could get the nightlife if you wanted it but it wasnt right in your face (nearest clubs pubs were 5 mins in taxi)... it was lovely and peaceful around the apartments and the beach was a five min walk away... I went with my family and being the oldest sibling @ 20 i didnt really want to be hanging around with my kid sister. Anyway everyone in the apartments got on really well they had a small pool side bar which provided the ideal place for everyone to get to know each other. Also you could join in on the trips the holiday reps organised as well which helped. In no time at all i was spending my holiday with a group of girls from the apartment above me and i think my parents forgot they even took me :)

Crete is a good holiday destination as you can get the peace and quiet if you want it but also if you want to go wild there are plenty of really nice clubs and pubs. The locals are also really nice :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Scandinavia tbh. Work your way through the youth hostels of Danmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland. I've been to Danmark and Sweden, and it's nice there in summer.

-or-

Sri Lanka. Go and visit Arthur C Clarke (amongst other people and places). I grew up in indonesia though, so I suppose I'm biased :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Why not stick with Florida?

If you could take 2 weeks go to South Africa...

Abommynation

Fledgling Freddie
Went to Australia a while back and I loved it so much I intend to make it my new home! :D

5 months 19 days and counting!! :eek:

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Thailaind, inparticular Koh Toa. Stuff there is cheap, amazing nightlife, you have tons of sun and 5km of beach, your choice of restraunts (i reccomend Prego's) but no theme parks :/

You can go diving too, which is great! Dunno how much it costs but best holiday i've had in yeaaaaaars. (plus during the full moon theres a world-famous party you can take a boat too)

just watch out for the odd lady-boy, thats all

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Forgot to mention I can't drive, so that's why I'm not off to florida, pretty much rules out south africa as well! Been to Australia, loved it, I just can't get 3 weeks off, 2 weeks is too short to go to the other side of the world!

Been to Thailand, problem is that it's the wrong side of the world, crap wet weather this time of year!

I'll take the rest into consideration. I have been thinking of a trip to Toronto for a week (looking at moving there in a few years), and Las Vegas for a week. However not sure going to such big cities on my own is a good idea!

Any more suggestions?

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
inactionman said:
I have been thinking of a trip to Toronto for a week (looking at moving there in a few years)

I'm in Toronto now :) Been here for just over a month, I can assure you its a fantastic place to be and I'm in the process of applying for PR (permanent residency) although I have to return to Blighty for a bit very soon :/

Good luck.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Xtro said:
I'm in Toronto now :) Been here for just over a month, I can assure you its a fantastic place to be and I'm in the process of applying for PR (permanent residency) although I have to return to Blighty for a bit very soon :/

Good luck.

Looked at the PR, and once I finish my masters (3 years), I'll qualify with points to spare, and I won't have to learn french or anything! People keep saying Vancouver is better than Toronto, but I'm a London Lad so even Toronto may be too small for me!

Anyhow, I have 3 years to check it out, so no rush. Open to other suggestions!

mank!

Part of the furniture
I would have suggested Madrid, but a) it's got no beaches and b) it's mainland Spain. Oh, and they're not very good with English.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
mank said:
I would have suggested Madrid, but a) it's got no beaches and b) it's mainland Spain. Oh, and they're not very good with English.

Lol, beaches are not essential to a holiday! Unfortunately Madrid and San Sebastian are the two worst places in Spain for relatives, as I have about 40-50 in each!. Also no-one goes to madrid this time of year, the temperatures are silly! It's a shame as I speak ok spanish. :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Personally, on my own, I'd go to Rome. But then I am a boring old history fart.

Gray

FH is my second home
Always wanted to live in Canada... one day... one day

mank!

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
Personally, on my own, I'd go to Rome. But then I am a boring old history fart.

Have you been? It's somewhere I'm looking at going next year.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ive been to Rome. Its a great place to visit.

In a moment of madness I even hired a scooter and drove around the city and some of the surrounding areas for the day...all with a passenger who doesnt know which way to lean when going around corners :eek6:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I haven't been to Rome, only Milan, but I will go one day. Oh yes. Maybe even next year, just depends on how much work I get.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
It has been suggested that I may enjoy an all-inclusive holiday in Cancun. I've had a look, and it looks like it could be fun, added to the shortlist.

mank!

Part of the furniture
dys and Tom, would you recommend Milan or Rome for a weekend city break? Five days, four nights type thing. I'll probably go and watch some football whilst I'm there and Milan and Rome both have two teams each so that's not much of a problem but is there plenty of other things to see, do and eat? What's the weather like and what time of year did you go? Is English widely spoken? Is it a very touristy place?

sorry to hijack the thread :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ive not been to Milan, but from what I've heard its all about fashions and industry....

Rome is quite a small city and you can walk almost everywhere. Italians are very friendly and you can get by without knowing Italian....but it helps if you make an effort. I had someone with me who knew a bit of Italian so that was a bonus for me!

It is a tourist city but its not completely ruled by it.

I spent a long weekend in Rome. There is plenty to do there. All the usual famous sights like Ruins and the Vatican City etc. Good night life and bars and clubs etc.
Like I said in a prev post you can hire a scooter cheaply (no license required) and ride around the whole day to get a good feel for the city and then go and visit the places you saw from the scooter.

Italian food is always good but like in any city you need to look around and see where the Romans go. Get out of the touristy type places to get the best food at the best prices.

Plenty to see in the surrounding areas of Rome as well.

Take it easy on the museums and galleries as you will start getting sick of seeing Paintings of Mary and baby Jesus!!

I went to Rome in September and it was bloody hot!!

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
aye, Rome is great, well worth the visit if you haven't been.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Cheers guys, think I'd rather go see Lazio or Roma rather than one of the Milan's plus Rome has much more history. I think I'll be off to Rome next year then :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well, Milan is ok, but like a lot of European cities, it stinks. No no, I don't mean that in a 'those bloody foreigners' kind of way, but it does seem that in this country we have better sewage treatment.

There is quite a bit of graffitti around. Its got a good tram/underground system, quite cheap, all the ladies walk around in tight jeans and designer tops, with short cropped hair and well to cut it short, they all look damn sexy. Oh, the food is pretty good too.

I couldn't recommend it though, its not really the sort of place that would make you come back for more. Go to Rome instead.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Holiday has been booked, I'm off to cancun for 2 weeks all-inclusive on the 24th August to prey on impressionable american women who like the 'quaint' english accent! :flame:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom