Budget for Gamers?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
12.57: Tax credit schemes for video games and "high-end" TV production firms will be established.
Discuss

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
About bloody time, industry needs some incentives to stay over here and work here.

UK produces a lot of gaming world talent, and a lot of that ends up in more developer friendly countries.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
This was what our studio director said on facebook/twitter:

"Tax credits for the creative industries. Finally. Congratulations to UKIE, TIGA & others who have campaigned for it!

Once we have details, we'll see how much it's worth, and re-invest that back into the studio with new hires. Which is very exciting."

Amazing how much difference stuff like this can actually make to the running of a company.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
About bloody time, industry needs some incentives to stay over here and work here.

UK produces a lot of gaming world talent, and a lot of that ends up in more developer friendly countries.
Well fuck off then!!!!!

:)

Everz

FH is my second home
This was what our studio director said on facebook/twitter:

Amazing how much difference stuff like this can actually make to the running of a company.

Wazz does that mean SI are hiring ;)?

Chilly

Balls of steel
On the other hand, it introduces a distortion into the market. Subsidies are often detrimental, but it's almost always very hard to tell. Perhaps we were losing talent to other places for more fundamental reasons? Lack of creativity and skill? I honestly don't know.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's a hand out to a particular industry at the potential cost to us all (although it might benefit us all net, actually).

Chilly

Balls of steel
And in fact, what about small software houses that are not game related? It's broadly the same set of people, minus the artists and other game-specific stuff, yet they don't deserve the same benefits?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The difference being most small software developers make software for specific needs for specific clients.

Small games developers are trying to add variety and compete in a market directly with the likes of foreign based giants such as EA, Activision etc. Do you really only want an industry of yearly sequels, with no variety?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Well, if you want you can all go and play FIFA manager and burn your eyeballs out with hot pokers? :D

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Given that there's probably thousands of pics of me online, you guys aren't very good. :D

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
In fairness we all do play a lot of football, obviously it's a bit of a passion and way of life for a lot of people at the company - we couldn't make a good game without that passion for the sport.

We currently have 3 6-a-side teams in lunchtime leagues, two unofficial 11-a-side teams (both FA registered and in "proper" leagues). We also sponsor AFC Wimbledon and play their staff every year in a friendly, as well as an internal match/tournament at Watford's ground. So yeah, football, football, football!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Please.

Also, if you could post them to No.10 for maximum comedy value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom