BT Rant

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
My god... what a fuck on

SO!

about 2 months back I changed my broadband over to the BT Halo+ package, read the smallprint to makesure I wasn't being fucked or anything, seen nothing and I do mean nothing about my landline being cut off...

Halo+ goes live and landline gets cut off

Spend 2 months of back and forth for them to finally reconnect my landline, I was buzzing

Landline gets reconnected, broadband gets disconnected because Halo+ isn't compatible with classic landlines yet there is no mention of this in the signup and what not

WHAT.
A.
FUCK.
ON.

Changing to Zen, fuck BT lol

It's a shame because BT has been so good for the last 7 year, no problems with them at all, the one time my net did go down it was fixed within 12 hours... this has just made me lose all trust and respect for them though.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Do you need a landline, though? When we switched to full fibre (Vodafone for now due to exclusivity) they told us we would need an internet phone, so we just threw our phone away and didn't bother.

Sure BT are a pile of shit, agreed.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Do you need a landline, though? When we switched to full fibre (Vodafone for now due to exclusivity) they told us we would need an internet phone, so we just threw our phone away and didn't bother.

Sure BT are a pile of shit, agreed.

My wife uses the landline to ring her mother in Belgium, we have an abroad addon for it so she can call for cheaper... not when BT cut it off tho lol

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
My wife uses the landline to ring her mother in Belgium, we have an abroad addon for it so she can call for cheaper... not when BT cut it off tho lol

To clarify further, we weren't offered the internet phone part, just the broadband.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Can't she whatsapp call her or something over wifi?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Her mum isn't tech savvy sadly :/

Oh come on. Frankly you could fly to Belgium and put WhatsApp on her phone for less effort than you've just gone through with BT.

Landlines are dead tech; eventually you'll run in to support issues on the British or the Belgian side.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That. Whatsapp is easy to use and call from and she'll benefit ftom the video call.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Oh come on. Frankly you could fly to Belgium and put WhatsApp on her phone for less effort than you've just gone through with BT.

Landlines are dead tech; eventually you'll run in to support issues on the British or the Belgian side.

Seriously, she's not tech savvy :p doesn't even own a DVD player man lol.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

I mean, my 94 year old Gran managed to press big green button and then big red button when finished, she even kept it plugged in all the time because she was worried it would die on her and she'd miss something.

You just need to teach her, with lots of patience!

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I mean, my 94 year old Gran managed to press big green button and then big red button when finished, she even kept it plugged in all the time because she was worried it would die on her and she'd miss something.

You just need to teach her, with lots of patience!

Bit harder when she's in another country mate :p not exactly like taking a car up the road lol.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You don't need tech savvy - if she can be taught the procedure to answer a mobile phone call then the same can be taught for whatsapp.

Written down, step-by-step instructions with pictures.

My mum can barely remember the journey to my sister's any more despite it being short but she's been taught how to use an ipad for video calls to my brother in Australia.

Big spakky button on a screen saying "press here to ring" isn't too hard :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
We haven't had a land line connected for about 5 years now, and I'm pretty sure Sky aren't charging us for one any more either.

I've also got a 79 year old technophobe mother who quite happily uses WhatsApp to talk to family members - and sometimes, the messages even make sense! She needs help whenever she gets a new phone to transfer stuff across, but once up and running she's absolutely fine.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
We haven't had a land line connected for about 5 years now, and I'm pretty sure Sky aren't charging us for one any more either.

I've also got a 79 year old technophobe mother who quite happily uses WhatsApp to talk to family members - and sometimes, the messages even make sense! She needs help whenever she gets a new phone to transfer stuff across, but once up and running she's absolutely fine.

That's her mothers problem, her mother has to ring her brother anytime she wants something doing with her mobile phone (even to add a number) and he has to drive from a nearby town in Belgium. Landline has just been easy for her because she can just pick it up and dial.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
You could literally buy her a tablet where she leaves it plugged in all the time and all she has to do is press big green button and big red button.

I remember when my Nan needed a new tv because hers was about 25 years old at that point, and it was fucking awful (obviously) but she was happy with it because he was used to it and the whole family were like she's happy, leave her.

I mega insisted she got a new TV, and she did eventually, then she realised it was the same freeview that she used on her previous box, so there wasn't much difference anyway!

Old people are stubborn and pretend they don't like new stuff, but it's all bollocks as far as I'm concerned ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Bit harder when she's in another country mate :p not exactly like taking a car up the road lol.

I'm in another country from my mum, and I'm still her tech support. She really would be better off with a cheap Android phone with a few basic apps; and you could even install something on it like AirDroid and keep it updated for her.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've got my mum running Zoom church services and if I can get my mum running Zoom church services, the sky's the limit as far as I'm concerned.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My mum lives next door to me and is hopeless with anything even remotely technical.

That is all.

Edit, one time both her and my stepdad were bidding against each other on the same item on Ebay thinking someone kept out bidding them. I live in perpetual fear of her asking my what a target/play gift card is.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You'd still probably be better off with a call home sim than a landline

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So they somewhat figured it out and they were at fault

Old landlines aren't compatible with BTHalo3+, they don't list or warn people about that in the BTHalo3+ package/signup agreement.

So when my Halo3+ went live = landline got cut off

When my landline got put back in place = Halo3+ got cut off

Technical support bloke said him and his colleagues hadn't seen that interaction between their tech before.

They offered me compensation, I told them to keep it (in a civil manner), told them all I want is the contract I entered into (which lasts until 2023) to be terminated instead due to the fault being at their end and not mine... waiting for a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom