Britain's new antipiracy law...

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Saw a small clip for it on telly, and laughed.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i saw Jo Whiley and refused to watch, i like my monitor too much and will probably smash it with that hag on screen

Can you sum up please

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
i really cant see why no one argues with the phonographics figures that are always quoted ...

even on the prog last night she said that those who download spend double the amount on music than those who dont .. well n0ot quite double .. 44 per year for those who dont and 77 those who do ..

Lots of for and against from different groups and all ... was ok i think it was a bit biased towards to phonographic agencies but there you go

georgie

FH is my second home
You able to see this?

BBC News - Panorama - File-sharing laws could see downloaders disconnected

Or is that blocked too?

My favourite bit is:

The BPI claims users' bills would go up by under £1 per year; the government estimates it would cost £2.40; but British Telecom, an internet service provider, claims the price rise could be as much as £25 to cover the costs of letter writing, monitoring and enforcing any technical measures.

Love the wildly different estimates. Isn't it amazing that (depending on your agenda) you can make figures and stats out to be whatever you like...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You able to see this?

BBC News - Panorama - File-sharing laws could see downloaders disconnected

Or is that blocked too?

My favourite bit is:

Love the wildly different estimates. Isn't it amazing that (depending on your agenda) you can make figures and stats out to be whatever you like...

Yeah that works, thanks.

IT is a bit silly and like i said on general(noticed it's the same thing i think), that if they want to enforce this, they have to spy on your computer and as such, would surely break privacy laws.

In any case, people need to understand that piracy has been around for ages and it hasn't harmed the artists or other agencies to earn billion million dollars.

Thsi will only cost more to try and solve a problem which is impossible to solve, given the number of ways to go around the policing.

georgie

FH is my second home
And as per usual, the only people to really come out on top here would be the lawyers. :twak:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
i saw Jo Whiley and refused to watch, i like my monitor too much and will probably smash it with that hag on screen

+1 she's a repugnantly irritating harridan

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
It's not file sharing if you straight download it.
You've only yourself to blame if you use open p2p systems.

Laddey

FH is my second home
+1 she's a repugnantly irritating harridan
I agree, but Sarah Cox is in a league of her own. Just listening to her pisses me off, some of the shit she comes out with is embarassing.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Yeah that works, thanks.

IT is a bit silly and like i said on general(noticed it's the same thing i think), that if they want to enforce this, they have to spy on your computer and as such, would surely break privacy laws.

In any case, people need to understand that piracy has been around for ages and it hasn't harmed the artists or other agencies to earn billion million dollars.

Thsi will only cost more to try and solve a problem which is impossible to solve, given the number of ways to go around the policing.

It violates human rights tbfh if they spy on you 24/7, it won't be enforced I see most isp's are simply refusing it regardless of what they claim to enforce because most isp's know fine well people will always download illegal things regardless of laws and it quite simply isn't worth the hastle, if record companies and movie companies want such things enforced let them pay for it and pay your net bill, until then they can fuck off with a capital F with the spying etc.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Peerblock keeps the bastards out for the most part, if all else fails I will start using Tor to download the .torrent files as well.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
/slap for not looking for it harder on the web and since when does it apply to you? You aint English mfer unless by some proxy you think you are :x

Wow, overreact much?

Seems asking for an alternate link to a UK story is a crime now, uuu uuuh..

GReaper

Part of the furniture
If your business model sucks, lobbying for laws to try and punish people isn't going to make it suck any less.

People used to copy onto tape long before the Internet was used for downloading music. It'll continue to happen in some form regardless of whether this bill gets through Parliament or not. Disconnect users and you'll have people sharing USB memory sticks with each other, I'm sure the kids/teens in this programme could easily share files offline.

The days of the music industry being able to make obscene profits from CD sales are gone. Trying to come up with imaginary figures from the estimated numbers of pirated copies is the industry unaware of reality - an illegal download does not equal a lost sale.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
If your business model sucks, lobbying for laws to try and punish people isn't going to make it suck any less.

People used to copy onto tape long before the Internet was used for downloading music. It'll continue to happen in some form regardless of whether this bill gets through Parliament or not. Disconnect users and you'll have people sharing USB memory sticks with each other, I'm sure the kids/teens in this programme could easily share files offline.

The days of the music industry being able to make obscene profits from CD sales are gone. Trying to come up with imaginary figures from the estimated numbers of pirated copies is the industry unaware of reality - an illegal download does not equal a lost sale.

Exactly, quite silly really.. I can understand why isp's are so annoyed because all it does is lose them customers left right and centre, they'll be losing millions upon millions because of a very silly piracy law which is exactly why the majority won't accept it.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Im just waiting on some computer n00b to be sentenced for file share, while someone just hijacked his/hers wireless.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
The problem here is the music industry's attitude to file sharing when it was fairly small scale when things like Napster turned up.

Their reaction was DRM (Digital Rights Management). With DRM the "owner" of the MP3's was severly restricted on there use. Whilst their CD buying friends could quite happily copy the CD to MP3 and use them as they wish. Whenever big companies do anything like this there will always be a backlash.

So their next big idea was to produce evermore "special editions" of CD's. You get the initial release, the special edition, the tour edition, etc the list goes on. Then you get the 10th/15th/20th/21st/25th/30th Anniversary Editions that follow.

This comes on the back of, for us old timers anyway, updating our Vinyl collections to the CD versions. Some of which have been reissued with extras at least 4-5 times in some cases.

A decently priced subscription service would be a success and kill a lot of file sharing stone dead.

I purchased Slayer's latest on MP3 from Amazon, and for my £6.49 I got 11 MP3's and nothing more. Did it really cost that much for Amazon to let me download the MP3's from them. I felt a little short changed, especially when you consider you can get it for £5.88 from them at the moment on CD. And that £5.88 has gone into making the cd, printing the inlay, making the plastic case, shipping it from the factory to amazon, someone at amazon getting it off the shelf, posting it to me and finally the postman delivering it to my door. And at the end of all that you have a item that you can look at, see the album art, read the lyrics if there are any printed.

Until they start getting real about charging for MP3's people will continue to download. Same goes for films.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
I agree, but Sarah Cox is in a league of her own. Just listening to her pisses me off, some of the shit she comes out with is embarassing.

i got angry just seeing her name. Why that woman is allowed on the radio i just dont understand. Perhaps its a big joke that im not in on

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom