Boxing

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I have about eighty quid left over from my birthday money (already got clothes, trainers, 80 gb hd and a expensive keyboard - w00t) and i'm looking to purchase a boxing bag.

No clubs run in my area which means I won't have any thing to go to but my friend does have one and we could spar together.

I wanted to purchase one to a) increase fighting capabilities, b) get fitter, c) learn footwork etc.

Will it be worth it without the use of a professional boxing trainer? Can't I self-learn from videos and websites etc.?

Obviously, I'm not looking to totally turn into a killing machine but I want to become fitter and better in fight situations.

Is it worth it?

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
A quick search on google came up with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_clubs_and_societies_in_Thanet another search got there details.

Boxing

Birchington Amateur Boxing Club
65 Park Lane, Birchington,Kent

Broadstairs & St Peters Amateur Boxing
7 Prince Charles Road
St. Peter's, Broadstairs
Kent CT10 3HF
(01843) 865964

Margate Amateur Boxing Club
Secretary: Albert R Webb
64 Royal Esplanade
Margate, Kent CT9 5ET

Ramsgate Amateur Boxing Club

Dandare

Fledgling Freddie
I boxed aged 15-21, it does wonders for your confidance and fitness levels.
I gave up tho cos I got too cocky with it and after a few times getting ko'd in and out of the ring.
So if you do start bud keep it real and remember it's a sport and not a means of self defence :)

pip

Banned
Like my looks to much for that shit:) can think of better ways to keep fit:sex:

Chronictank

FH is my second home
pip said:
Like my looks to much for that shit:) can think of better ways to keep fit:sex:
only idiots and people who do it competitively get hurt to that extent

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
That's all good and well lads.

But the question I want answering is:

Will it be worth it without the use of a professional boxing trainer? Can't I self-learn from videos and websites etc.?

@ Gimmly - Birchington one has turned pretty much into a fitness one and others are too far tbh xD

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Well, to work out why you want to do it, then you can know if its worth it or not.

If you want to compete, then there seems like little or no point trying to train yourself. If you want to do it to keep fit, or whatever, then I guess you can do a fair amount of it yourself, but if its anything like martial arts - 3 minutes sparring with someone else is worth an hour going over moves.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
You can and you cant - you can learn stamina etc of throwing punches - just stand in front of a bag and whale on it for 10minutes - if you can.. the problem being it won't teach you movement nor how to pick punches etc - its like learning to drive a car by playing GTA on the playstation - you get the basic idea but not much more... I would go for it to build up stamina etc, then maybe try and find a boxing/kickboxing or martial arts gym - if anyone suggests muay thai - tell em no - you will get battered :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Bugz said:

@ Gimmly - Birchington one has turned pretty much into a fitness one and others are too far tbh xD
No you cant quite simply,
videos wont teach you the fitness side of things in general anyway which is the main reason to do them.
If you after fitness go to your local gym for a month, pick up the technique then do it on your own

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
Bugz said:

If you want to compete, Biff up you're triceps and chest do a little cardio, learn some dirty boxing and you're ready :p

Vladamir

FH is my second home
GimmlyTheDorf said:
If you want to compete, Biff up you're triceps and chest do a little cardio, learn some dirty boxing and you're ready :p

Yeah and fuck your posture up in the process by not doing the rest of your body :p

Laddey

FH is my second home
These day's you'd probably get your ass wooped in a street fight anyway, due to the fact that people dont hesitate to smash you over the back of the head with a bottle.

Did anybody watch the Calzaghe vs Bookie(sp) fight last night? Dirtiest fight in a long time.

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
Laddey said:
These day's you'd probably get your ass wooped in a street fight anyway
Of course you would, 90% of the fights end up on the floor battling to get top position unless someone gets laid out or out punched at the start and its allrdy over.

Laddey

FH is my second home
GimmlyTheDorf said:
Of course you would, 90% of the fights end up on the floor battling to get top position unless someone gets laid out or out punched at the start and its allrdy over.

Ye, I've just been watching some boxing clips. Who was the famous boxer who said He'd never been hit so hard before, i think it was by Ali. Not sure, any ideas? :)

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
Laddey said:
Ye, I've just been watching some boxing clips. Who was the famous boxer who said He'd never been hit so hard before, i think it was by Ali. Not sure, any ideas? :)
Not sure, never watched boxing like that, only done it for a year to improve my cardio and striking for mma.

Dandare

Fledgling Freddie
Laddey said:
Henry Cooper?

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Laddey said:

Was Chris Eubank saying he'd never been hit so hard before when he lost his title to Joe Calzaghe :)

Laddey

FH is my second home
Naetha said:
Was Chris Eubank saying he'd never been hit so hard before when he lost his title to Joe Calzaghe :)

Ye, thats it. Eubank.

lol...Ali :mad:

Marc

FH is my second home
Laddey said:
These day's you'd probably get your ass wooped in a street fight anyway, due to the fact that people dont hesitate to smash you over the back of the head with a bottle.

Did anybody watch the Calzaghe vs Bookie(sp) fight last night? Dirtiest fight in a long time.

That was the worst fight ive seen Calzaghe fight for a long time. His tactics were all wrong. He went in there looking to knock the other guy out and got dragged into a street fight. He should of done what he does best and just box.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Marc said:
That was the worst fight ive seen Calzaghe fight for a long time. His tactics were all wrong. He went in there looking to knock the other guy out and got dragged into a street fight. He should of done what he does best and just box.
i think he got caught up in the fact that HBO were watching to be honest and wanted a knockout to look good.
Wrong opponent to try that on ><

Altho the flying headbutt did make me lol irl

Marc

FH is my second home
Chronictank said:
i think he got caught up in the fact that HBO were watching to be honest and wanted a knockout to look good.

I dont quite get that though, because Calazaghe has never been bothered about trying to crack America. Hed fight all his fights in wales if he could

Laddey

FH is my second home
Chronictank said:

Ye, lol.

Kinda' dirty when Calzaghe's head was between the ropes and Bookie (can't remember his full name) was still attempting an attack on him.

That black guy was strong as hell though, can you imagine one of those boxers punching you straight for 3 minutes? I'd be screwed i'd be out of breath after the second round. Takes some dedication to box like that.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Wont learn anything from a bag and a few vid's maybe try kickboxing if theres a class nearby you very good for fitness and subtlety (sp?).

If your looking too improve your fighting skills tho you will be dissapointed at almost all competative sports/fighting as none of them will help you in a real life situation other than maybe give you confidence and more control of the situation.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
evzy said:
- if anyone suggests muay thai - tell em no - you will get battered :)

tried this once....two nights in i was put up against a 40 year old man......fun times :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom