[boxing]calzaghe vs hopkins

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Shite fight and the fat taf looked in poor form after a few rounds. Think he needs to move back down the weights.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
First of all remember that he is fighting one of the all time greats, just to go the distance with a guy like that deserves credit. He did more than that though, he out-scored him and out worked him. All that in a weight class he has never fought before and which probably does't suit him. As far as I am concerned he did just fine, it wasn't a classic fight but then it never promised to be, that was all media hype but I have watched both fighters for years and knew that it wasn't a great mix of styles so I didn't get sucked in by all the 'classic' and 'match of the year' crap.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Hopkins is 43 :/ He may be one of the best boxers ever in his weight class, but come on, he peaked several years ago.

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
No was not Joe's best performance, but there are key factors that come into play:

1. He moved up a weight
2. First time fighting in America
3. Bernard was in my opinion in best shape he's been in for a long time.
4. Joe attacked the fight 100% percent, Bernard was always going to be on the back foot.
5. Cortez thought it was ok to let Bernard hold but was funny that when ever Ricky Hatton tried to hold Mayweather Cortez broke it straight up.
6. Bernard was fighting dirty, I counted four hits with his head, and six with his elbow.
7. The fight was way over hyped, but it was obvious Calzaghe would win unless he was KO.

Among many other things. Was not luck at all, what you have to remember is that Joe has never fought anyone with Hopkins style, Joe was always moving foward and Bernard was moving back trying to find that crucial counter punch. No luck, just a shame that Calzaghe did not really turn up on the night, he is still the best if not 2nd to only Mayweather the best fighter in the world at this moment in time. Cotto closing in slowly.

amodien

Fledgling Freddie
The ref was a disgrace AGAIN just like the Hatton fight..

Only one boxer went there to fight and that was Calzaghe!

Was surprised he got the decision from the judges though, usually they are biased as fuck to the yanks.

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
The ref was a disgrace AGAIN just like the Hatton fight..

Only one boxer went there to fight and that was Calzaghe!

Was surprised he got the decision from the judges though, usually they are biased as fuck to the yanks.

Well the Americans do tend to get very biased. I personally scored the fight 115-112 in favour of Calzaghe. The funny thing about the fight was the end; 'We all know the fans are the judges'- Hopkins. Silly comment, Judges are always going to be biased towards their own country men, it's seen everywhere in sport.

Cortez again has questions to answer on his performance. Think it's time to put the final nail in his coffin. Can't imagine what Ricky was thinking watching the fight seeing Cortez let Hopkins hold Calzaghe like that, enabling him to work in the inside.

Marc

FH is my second home
No was not Joe's best performance, but there are key factors that come into play:

1. He moved up a weight
2. First time fighting in America
3. Bernard was in my opinion in best shape he's been in for a long time.
4. Joe attacked the fight 100% percent, Bernard was always going to be on the back foot.
5. Cortez thought it was ok to let Bernard hold but was funny that when ever Ricky Hatton tried to hold Mayweather Cortez broke it straight up.
6. Bernard was fighting dirty, I counted four hits with his head, and six with his elbow.
7. The fight was way over hyped, but it was obvious Calzaghe would win unless he was KO.

Among many other things. Was not luck at all, what you have to remember is that Joe has never fought anyone with Hopkins style, Joe was always moving foward and Bernard was moving back trying to find that crucial counter punch. No luck, just a shame that Calzaghe did not really turn up on the night, he is still the best if not 2nd to only Mayweather the best fighter in the world at this moment in time. Cotto closing in slowly.

The fact that a bloke with no power, and who has made his name on the back of an unbeaten record of fighting bums is considered the second best pound for pound fighter on the planet, shows what state boxing is in at the moment

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
The fact that a bloke with no power, and who has made his name on the back of an unbeaten record of fighting bums is considered the second best pound for pound fighter on the planet, shows what state boxing is in at the moment

Was going to start argument over what said, but ill leave you entitled to your opinion.

Marc

FH is my second home
Was going to start argument over what said, but ill leave you entitled to your opinion.

So why did he duck Jones Jr, who was willing to move down in weight to fight him?

People like Jones Jr and Hearns are true greats. Men who wouldnt think twice about putting their titles and reputation on the line.

Its not Calzaghe's fault there arent many decent boxers around these days, but if Calzaghe was around in the Halycon days of the 80's and early 90's, there is no way he would be anywhere near the top 10 of pound for pound boxers

Chronictank

FH is my second home
It was an awful performance on Calzaghe's part, excuses are irrelevant he was nowhere near the level he normally is
I was expecting a slow down, but he wasnt even boxing and spent most the fight flat on stanidng there exchanging. Whenever he did box he did infinitely better

Hopkins would have won i think if he was younger, calzaghe was out of it for a good few rounds after the knock down

and before crying afoul while slightly biased, the ref wasnt prompted to do anything by calzaghe's corner regarding the holding

So why did he duck Jones Jr, who was willing to move down in weight to fight him?
he broke his hand if i remember correctly, also doesnt help that he wasnt on frank warren's good side as at the end of the day he runs british boxing

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Calzaghe is a great example of great managing and promotion "weather you like the style or not! choose the right fights and oponants at the right time and place, on a level and acpect of the greatest amount of puplicity and lowest risk to your fighter.

ps: I'm no fan of Calzaghe's managers style and attitude.

hopkins, kessler, manfredo, are great examples of just that

tierk

Part of the furniture
Couldnt agree more with Marc on this one. Shit boxer who has made a name fighting bums all his career. I never seen the guy fight any name when they were in there prime.

End Of.

prodical

Fledgling Freddie
i watched a news clip on sky sports about calzaghe. they were in his home town asking the locals what they thought. they all thought he was a legend etc. what i found interesting was that he is 47 fights now unbeeten? the locals saying its great now he is known in america? then they were saying that he was one of the greatest pound for pound fighters ever. forgive me but isnt it odd that one the the best pound for pound fighters only gets a rep after 47 fights in a forigen country, fighting a man who is way over the hill?

Marc

FH is my second home
Calzaghe now has 2 options. Fight the washed up Roy Jones Jr, or take on Kelly Pavlik, a huge puncher who is in his prime.

You just know he will take on Roy Jones Jr.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Calzaghe now has 2 options. Fight the washed up Roy Jones Jr, or take on Kelly Pavlik, a huge puncher who is in his prime.

Hopefully both, i think they would be great fights

Talivar

Part of the furniture
calazaghe may have a bad resume but anyone who says he is crap is an idiot plain and simple, you only have to watch him fight( well most fights) to see his skill. He MAY have lost to some of these greats in their primes but he MAY have won also. And to be fair a lot of the missed fights where the americans own faults for pricing themselfs out or refusing to come UK, HE was the champion not them so THEY should have come to him. All some of you do is buff the already massive american ego by insisting the champion should have travelled to the challengers just cus they american

tierk

Part of the furniture
Its nothing to do with buffing American ego's and more a case of be realistic. Most of the best fighters over the last 100 years have come from the USA. Also how can you rate a fighter as the best pound for pound when they have not ever fought anyone of any real calibre?

I rate for example Floyyd Mayweather cuz he has kicked some big asses in his time. Or Nigel Benn because he came and fought everyone, no avoidng or hiding. Or other like Haggler, Hearns, Sugar Ray, Tyson, Ali, Holyfield.

I cant, off the top of my head, remember a single opponent of Calazaghes, Hopkins being the first really good fighter with a decent rep that he has fought and guess what he is like 420 years old now and way past his best.

A good fighter? Yes.
A great fighter? No
Best pound for pound boxer out there? Hell no not even remotely close.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Hilarious, just been reading Dubai papers, they all seem up in arms about the comments prior to the fight. "I'll never be beat by a white man!" was the main cause of concern.

LOL at comparing the now overweight Welshman with the all time greats. No Marciano and none from south of Texas. What about Duran, Del La Hoya, Chavez all great fighters. i would expect 1 or 2 in most top 10's.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

According to BBC he wants Roy Jones Jr as his possible last fight before retiring.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Why am I not surprised. Not like Joe Calzaghe to duck the harder opponent

wheres the payday in taking on a relative nobody ;) (compared to Jones Jr ofc)
Jones beat Felix Trinidad abliet barely on scores who is a class a act so he may have some life in him yet

It's all well and good being an armchair critic but why bother when there is no money in it in comaprison?
It's not as if he is the one with something to proove, onus is on Kelly to make it happen not on calzaghe, he is the contender not the other way around

If he has any sense he will have 1 maybe 2 more big fights as paydays and retire on top like Lewis

Chronictank

FH is my second home
doh edit timer; Palvik not kelly above

I doubt Pavlik will happen for the simple reason Palvik doesn't seem to want to make it happen,

He doesnt want to leave the US nor does he want to change weights to make the fight happen, correct me if i am wrong but surely the challenger goes to the champ not the other way around?
And we both know Palvik is not anywhere near the crowd puller Calzaghe or Jones are

Marc

FH is my second home
I just think a true champion would go for the fight that meant more in terms of defining their career. Pavlik is no mug. He destroyed Taylor, who in turn had destroyed Hopkins. But like you say, its all about the $$$.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I just think a true champion would go for the fight that meant more in terms of defining their career. Pavlik is no mug. He destroyed Taylor, who in turn had destroyed Hopkins. But like you say, its all about the $$$.
Thing is, while he was young i would agree with you
I think you are somewhat unfair on him though, its not his fault he got bums lined up in front of him. The sad fact of the matter is if you aren't on frank warren's side in this country then you are not going to get any big names, regardless if you are a world Champ. Enzo ruined calzaghe's early career by falling out with warren
Then he got back on side and look where he is now, a hidden gem to always in the spotlight

But i digress, he is not young and this is possibly his last fight so he will want it in front of a home crowd and go out with a big moneyfight and quite rightly so,
Palvik should know this, and more than likely he does, if he really wanted the fight he would come here and they would discuss the weight not put up obstacles. As it is he is not budging, i personally dont believe Palvik wants the fight at all because his camp has not done anything to grease the wheels

A true champion at calzaghe's age would do exactly as calzaghe is, home crowd huge fight

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom