Bournemouth

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Hi guys.

My sis recently went to Bournemouth, to work there in some meat processing factory, or something. We're romanians, not english.

My request to you guys, is for advice. She already has a place to stay, sharing an apartment with 3 others, for 33 pounds/week per person. Would it be possible to find accomodation in Bournemouth, cheaper and better ?

Also, some advice I could pass on to her about life over there, cheap markets, cheap shops, the works... places that she should stay away from, and stuff.

Thanks in advance.

SiD

Fledgling Freddie
I live just outside bournemouth and work there.

33/week ? ... that's about 1/3 what I pay :)

Places to avoid, Boscombe - although it's got alot better recently I wouldn't wander at night what so ever. Due to the large 'drug' user base there it's pretty dangerous if you are caught in the wrong place and the wrong time.

There are no cheap places to shop to be honest, it's a tourist town first and formost. There are the usual Tkmax ect but no decent markets around.

Generally it's high cost of living (almost as bad as London) and low wages on the whole, alot of student labour so wages are low and jobs are hard to find.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Thats cheap tbh.

Tell her to stay right away from Crawley!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Tell her to stay away from Boscombe at night :)

Does she live in the town proper, or in one of the towns surounding Bournemouth?

In town, the best place to shop is probably ASDA for most things. There's an Aldi on the outskirts of Bournemouth, towards the motorway and Boscombe area, which can be good too.

If she's incredibly short on money, there's Lidl supermarkets in Winton, and in the Soverign center in Boscombe. Not a lot of variety, but it's incredibly cheap.

£33 a week is VERY cheap for Bournemouth. Unless the accomodation is awful, then she should probably stay there. Most rooms are £60-70 a week

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If shes got a garden she could save shedloads by growing some veggies herself.

Don't all laugh please.

old.Osy

yeah Xavier, that's the name, Kerry Foods :)

So, places to stay away from - Boscombe, Crawley?

And she lives in Poole. Talked to her yesterday, she loves the city, says people are calm and polite, and that her manager is a decent chap.

Thanks for the input guys.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I don't think Crawley is anywhere near there to be honest. I just said that because its Throds neck of the woods.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Turlin Moor
East Howe
West Howe
Arne Avenue/Herbert Avenue
Boscombe
some bits of Charminster and Winton, well, most...

ALL to be avoided ;)

Which area of Poole is she living in?

Most of that side of dorset is a shit-tip, tbh... I very rarely have to go down there these days thankfully.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Xavier said:
Turlin Moor
East Howe
West Howe
Arne Avenue/Herbert Avenue
Boscombe
some bits of Charminster and Winton, well, most...

ALL to be avoided ;)

Which area of Poole is she living in?

Most of that side of dorset is a shit-tip, tbh... I very rarely have to go down there these days thankfully.

Bit harsh Xav :p I live in Winton, and it's not too bad... Charminster though. Wouldn't want to be female and walking there at night ;)

The bad areas are well away from the main streets anyway... (boscombe excepted).

I'd say stay away from Poole, but since she lives there, it's a bit hard. Just tell her not to get hooked up with the Church of Scientology - they prey on unsuspecting people walking through the streets of Poole these days.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
SilverHood said:
Bit harsh Xav :p I live in Winton, and it's not too bad... Charminster though. Wouldn't want to be female and walking there at night ;)

The bad areas are well away from the main streets anyway... (boscombe excepted).

I'd say stay away from Poole, but since she lives there, it's a bit hard. Just tell her not to get hooked up with the Church of Scientology - they prey on unsuspecting people walking through the streets of Poole these days.

Winton is a real bombhole buddy, and the rent for most places is the same as areas like westbourne, which are a gazillion times better...

SilverHood

FH is my second home
But it's right next to campus, and relatively cheap to get into town :D
Student paradise. Almost. If only the Waitrose was something affordable, like a Tesco or something.

:)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Westbourne has Waitrose AND Tesco, and it's on the Uni bus routes ;) heh. Thought there was a sainsburys further out from bournemouth along that road?

Winton is orrible :p

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
My mate has a piercing studio in B'mouth. Its called Metal Fatigue.

Been down to visit a few times, thought the place was ok really.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Xavier said:
Westbourne has Waitrose AND Tesco, and it's on the Uni bus routes) heh. Thought there was a sainsburys further out from bournemouth along that road?

Winton is orrible

They messed about the Uni Busses so if you live out that way, you have to get public transport (not that bad), but you can't use Uni Bus clip card (35p a journey).
And there is a sainsbury down that way, was there the other week, but it's nearly as expensive as Waitrose, and their selection of cheap foods is virtually non-existant, meaning a no go for students :D Anyway, house I'm staying in is pretty amazing for a student house, so I'm not complaining :)

And it beats living in Woking. By miles. ;)

old.Osy

Swift^ said:
You want to pay less than that?

Fucking pikey. Get a job.

I think I already specified we're not english. But romanians. She and me both have no idea on the prices in England, or specifically, rent levels in Bournemouth/Poole. That is why this thread exists.

And no, a translation of romanian rent levels won't help, due to the economic differences, currency rates, etc. (33 pounds a week in my currency means a lot, too)

As for being pikeys, we're not. While it's true that quite a lot of romanian gypsies migrate to England to either beg or steal, my sis has a firm contract, and her sole intention is to work in better conditions, and for bigger bucks than locally.

To sum it up, fuck off.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Very defensive ! Full marks ! I hadn't even noticed you were Romanian, the pikey reference was to do with you looking for accomodation half the price of your average student accomodation.

And if you want to find out if you can rent cheaper elsewhere, have you not thought of looking at the market and realising "shit, I'm doing bloody well for myself with this bargain".

old.Osy

Don't know if you noticed, but the "cheaper" thing is in the starting post. At that time, I had no idea on rent levels. I realized she has a good deal at 33/week, and I didn't stress that note further.

Had you bothered reading the full text, you'd realize it's not me that's in Bournemouth, but me sis. But I guess I can't expect much from a forum troll.

:rolleyes:

Ps: Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Wazz, you've never particularly irritated me before although I know you have others.

However on this occasion I have to say shut the fuck up you ignorant **** and give the guy a break.

Now, back to normal service. :fluffle: for Wazz, just had to say it.

Good luck Osy, Romania = nice place, I was treated VERY nicely there.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
old.Osy said:
Don't know if you noticed, but the "cheaper" thing is in the starting post. At that time, I had no idea on rent levels. I realized she has a good deal at 33/week, and I didn't stress that note further.

Had you bothered reading the full text, you'd realize it's not me that's in Bournemouth, but me sis. But I guess I can't expect much from a forum troll.

I thought referring to your sister a little pointless in this thread as she doesn't appear in it. Yes, the information is no doubt for her - but as she is not here it is directed at you, as you requested the advice.

And I still stand by my statement of if you want to find cheaper accomodation in that area, look in that area's housing market at the prices for comparison. I don't see how an individual on a forum is going to be able to point you in the direction of somewhere cheaper themselves? I don't see how this is a "trolling" statement?

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
pretty annoyed that my post was deleted tbh was a completly valid statement

such is the way of the uk nowadays u cant say shit about foreigners without gettin whacked with the racist stick

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
oblimov said:
pretty annoyed that my post was deleted tbh was a completly valid statement

such is the way of the uk nowadays u cant say shit about foreigners without gettin whacked with the racist stick

Racism had absolutely nothing to do with it.... your comments were pretty damned tasteless when talking about anyone's sister of any race or creed.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
oh aye i might have said something else as well lol

;) woops soz just remembered (weegie banter thats all :p)

Abommynation

Fledgling Freddie
Hey! I live in Poole and there ARE some nice places!!

For example, there is the sign that says "You are now leaving Poole. Please visit again." ... bewdiful!

old.Osy

It's ok Jupitus, I expected the odd national-extremist popping up and sharing his opinions about cheaper foreign labour force, and how those foreigners prevent the locals from getting good wages.

While I can understand their reasoning mechanism, I'd still like to point out that the corporate managers are at fault, and not the cheap labour force itself. It's a matter of getting the most for your buck, being part of EU, unifying economical systems, and such.

I'm pretty sure most of those against foreigners would more than gladly accept to go abroad and get better wages for the same job they're doing in their own country.

I for one, wouldn't do it. Not that I like my country that much, but I'm lazy, and too accustomed to it. Even if the payment is 10x or more in other countries. My sis however, sees things differently, and thought it would be a good idea. Each at his own, I guess.

Another reason would be that I work in the IT, which has pretty good wages, compared to other branches. I recently got a job at a major ISP here, and I have a lot to learn from it, with good chances of getting a promotion (and more cash, naturally) on the short term.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Osy, you tried one of these:

2178.jpg

NOT RACIST REPEAT NOT RACIST :D

Anyway, the UK is a great place, and I hope you enjoy it. Be wary though, the SE has more than its fair share of asylum seekers, and some of less intelligent people around there may mistake you for those people. Watch yourselves at night, there are some dickheads in this country.

On the subject of foreigners coming over here and working, I generally don't have a problem with it, so long as its fair. I've lost out on more than one occasion to australians in the TV industry, mainly because they're cheap, work quickly, and don't want to stop for lunch. I don't call that fair, but I believe what goes around, comes around - one day, they'll have an accident, and realise that operating without the correct licenses, without insurance, and not paying any tax or NI, is a bad idea :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom