Bodyguard - How does it work?

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
I have searched for info but i cant say that i can find anything useful anywhere. Only thing i have found is that the bodyguarded person need to stand still for the bodyguard to work. So i have some questions.

Is it any recharge timer on bodyguard? Or is it like the current guard?

Do i need a shield to bodyguard?

Do i need to have the guard ability atm to get bodyguard to work?

Is it possible kill 2 tanks who bodyguards eachothers with melee?

Can i fight while bodyguarding?

Do the bodyguard drop if the bodyguarding tank gets mezzed?

Is it possible to win over a with a melee team over another team who has multiple bodyguarders?

I really would need some answers on this one. Im quite worried of the effects on rvr from this ability.

Aenir

Fledgling Freddie
Test it and let us know if you will.
Thanks

Ah and dont be worried, Mythic has stated that toa will not affect RvR in any(major) way. :m00:

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Just giving u infos from some Exiled Pryd Hyb from USA

Fadeh said:
I have searched for info but i cant say that i can find anything useful anywhere. Only thing i have found is that the bodyguarded person need to stand still for the bodyguard to work. So i have some questions.

Is it possible to win over a with a melee team over another team who has multiple bodyguarders?

I really would need some answers on this one. Im quite worried of the effects on rvr from this ability.

Bodyguard is swappable at any time, like current guard.
U don't need a shield.
Afaik the bodyguarded toon can only be harmed by spells while bodyguarded; so 2 tanks bodyguarding each other arent' killable in melee, but provided that u must stand still to have BGuard working dunno how much is viable (and if i'm not wrong BGuard has a range of 700 too).
Not sure bout mezz tbh.
Imo bodyguard will kill the melee ONLY grps as u already understood ;)

Maleg

Fledgling Freddie
Fadeh said:
Don't know all the answers but here is what I have found out.
Fadeh said:
Don't know
Fadeh said:
Nope, don't believe so (i.e. Friars can get bodyguard)
Fadeh said:
Nope, don't believe so (i.e Wardens can also bodyguard)
Fadeh said:
You can't cross bodyguard, if you can it's a bug. Therefore two Tanks cannot Bodyguard one another (they could early on but was fixed, will probably be fixed in Euro before anybody gets Bodyguard if it hasn't already)
Fadeh said:
Yes, the Bodyguarder can fight and move while using Bodyguard. The character being Bodyguarded can also fight / cast but must remain still. The bodyguarder must remain within 500 - 700 (not sure which) radius of the Bodyguarded character
Fadeh said:
Don't know
Fadeh said:
Possible yes, but a lot more difficult. The main aim of Bodyguard as I see it (and I'm pretty sure it's Mythic's intention) is to make Tanks attack Tanks and not Tanks gank support / casters then mop up enemy tanks. Bodyguard only protects you from melee damage, the character being 'bodyguarded' is still vunerable to magic and archer fire. Basically it's to encourage groups into having 1 - 2 mages once more without them getting insta killed. One last item, it appears that the person being bodyguarded has to remain still (can rotate but that's it), sort of makes Tanks bodyguarding one another in /assist trains less affective as they are normally on the move.

You're probably right to be concerned Fadeh, your regular group is heavy melee, Bodyguard will almost certainly put you at a dissadvantage although I'm fairly sure you'll adapt reasonable quick.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
i know you do get a message saying 'randomtank#12 is bodyguarding randomcaster#15' so you know who to kill.

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
so if 2 warriors guard eachother, they can kill anything that only has melee attacks as the will never get hit if they dont move?

If this is right, is fucking shit.

2 warriors and a shammie for buffs/end regen could do a legion raid, most of TG and whatever other mobs that use melee only...

Zzzzz

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
Brunore said:
so if 2 warriors guard eachother, they can kill anything that only has melee attacks as the will never get hit if they dont move?

2 warriors and a shammie for buffs/end regen could do a legion raid, most of TG and whatever other mobs that use melee only...

Zzzzz

Maleg said:
You can't cross bodyguard, if you can it's a bug. Therefore two Tanks cannot Bodyguard one another (they could early on but was fixed, will probably be fixed in Euro before anybody gets Bodyguard if it hasn't already)

no, shouldnt be able to :D

Maleg

Fledgling Freddie
Brunore said:

Zzzzz
Did you read my post - you can't cross Bodyguard each other. If a Tank is bodyguarding a character he cannot be the subject of a Bodyguard. Zzzzzz at people that post before reading / comprehending

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Has this been implemented yet? As a sorc, I'm dead tired of seeing the group first.

Maleg

Fledgling Freddie
Daedalus said:
Has this been implemented yet? As a sorc, I'm dead tired of seeing the group first.
Yes, Battlemaster ML line ML8 Ability

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
it works like intercept.
the char who is bodyguarding takes a lot of dmg...but the char who gets bodyguarded can not be dameged/interupted by melee, only magic can dmg that char.

2 hero's can bodyguard each other but they are killable offcourse, eg: one hero bodyguards the other, the hero who is being bodyguarded by the other will get dmg and the bodyguarder will get the dmg in the end, so after a while he will just die ><

but it's indeed a nice ML, bodyguarding clerics or casters if well good, chain intercept on a ice wiz while a assist train is hitting them...anyone? the ice wiz will be able to pbaoe the assist train to fuck without being dameged or interrupted :/

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well what Brunore has written is someone true, if bodyguard dont pull aggro from mobs, then you can just have one warrior bodyguard lets say a troll warrior with as much weaponskill as possible. And then he taunt legion and proceded to kill him. But if i'm not misstaken legion got that teleport thingie is that magic attack or meele? If so both get ported, 1 keep body guard up while other take 90 hours to kill the behemoth. :D

Maleg

Fledgling Freddie
Phusion said:
it works like intercept.
the char who is bodyguarding takes a lot of dmg...but the char who gets bodyguarded can not be dameged/interupted by melee, only magic can dmg that char.

2 hero's can bodyguard each other but they are killable offcourse, eg: one hero bodyguards the other, the hero who is being bodyguarded by the other will get dmg and the bodyguarder will get the dmg in the end, so after a while he will just die ><
This information is totally different from anything I've read. AFAIK you cannot cross bodyguard, the game should not allow it. Also the bodyguarder does not take damage like intercept - melee characters simply cannot attack the person being bodyguarded but get given feedback as to who is bodyguarding them. The person bodyguarding takes a defensive penalty - so is easier to hit (and kill) but will not 'intercept' damage on the bodyguard subject.

http://www.visionofsages.net/toa/MA_Battlemaster.shtml has most information people would need - kept pretty current also

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, and I believe that Bodyguard doesn't work in PvE.

Darzil

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Phusion said:
the ice wiz will be able to pbaoe the assist train to fuck without being dameged or interrupted :/

So grp's will need to include a ranged nuker or two instead to take them down quick.

Hullo. :)

Mael, 50th ment.

nuky

Fledgling Freddie
Phusion said:
but it's indeed a nice ML, bodyguarding clerics or casters if well good, chain intercept on a ice wiz while a assist train is hitting them...anyone? the ice wiz will be able to pbaoe the assist train to fuck without being dameged or interrupted :/

spam aoe amnesia or aoe disease just like we used to?

Dumle

Fledgling Freddie
nuky said:

Yes absolutely, the thing this changes is only the order of which you kill opponents. Healers may actually live the longest :D

Durgi

Fledgling Freddie
Bodyguard is is a continuely intercept. It suffers the same draw backs intercept has and 90% of the time considers the bodyguard to be armourless. very good to bodyguard a pbae'er/caster. Only spells and ranged attacks can hit the target of bodyguard. Hunters/rangers/scouts can still shoot the target of bodyguard. For bodyguard to work you need to right next to them and stationary. It's good and a jolly good way to destroy the assist trains 1 bodyguard with a pbae support.. being spam healed can destroy and entire ma train.

Realm abilities such as Avoid Pain and Bunker of Faith are not taken into account on the bodyguard. It's as if you sacrifice everything to get in the way of the blows.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
nuky said:

Well, potentially this ML will really open up the ranged nuker game once more, and with it nearsight will start making a comeback on qb's...which might stop some of that nonsence :).

Hopefully this will really open things up from some grp set-ups which have become v v stale. Firewizzy anyone? Light eldie?

Mael, 50th ment.

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
Bodyguard is NOT an intercept!

The tank does NOT take the hit for the caster, if the assist train attacks the caster it does absolutely NOTHING (you don't hurt the caster, nor interrupt him). You only get a message saying that 'X caster is bodyguarded by y battlemaster' (you get the name) and you have to manually switch target and only after you kill the battlemaster you can engage the caster in melee damage.

Bodyguard has no recast timer, you can switch it anytime to whoever is getting hit. The point of this is: Kill the battlemaster first.

Shield and guard are totally irrelevant, but the advantage of the bodyguard having high shield spec are rather obvious compared to a bodyguard ranger for example.

As for the mezz question, afaik, even if i am not 100% certain, i think it was reported on vn boards that bodyguard does not drop if the bodyguard gets mezzed, you still have to kill him if he is standing close enough to the caster.

And yes, if many people get to ml8 and bodyguard becomes common, heavy tank groups will have serious problems. Only the time lost to realise your target is bodyguarded, to search for the bodyguard and tell everyone to switch to him (and also kill a 50 hero with some levels of mob getting healed by 2-3 druids) should be enough for a hib caster group for example to blow a couple of your group members to pieces.

Zaffa

Can't get enough of FH
fionnel said:
Bodyguard is NOT an intercept!

The tank does NOT take the hit for the caster, if the assist train attacks the caster it does absolutely NOTHING (you don't hurt the caster, nor interrupt him). You only get a message saying that 'X caster is bodyguarded by y battlemaster' (you get the name) and you have to manually switch target and only after you kill the battlemaster you can engage the caster in melee damage.

Yup, thats the problem

imaging 2 Toa chanters with a cast spd well under 1s
then u have 2 shield heroes cross Guarding, and u gotta kill those, before u can ever get near the chanters, allso, u have 3 druids and 1 bard for healing the heros

so forget all about the savage groups u though where overpowered, the usual fotm alb group have 1 or 2 casters able to interupt all of the hib casters
meaning a group like eclipse will become virtual unkill able by albs :p

can u kill anything standing in a pbaoe field trying to chop down 2 cross guarding(not bodyguarding) heros?

teh whine has begun ;)

old.Sko

Fledgling Freddie
Fadeh said:

Its working like current guard - can be swapped any time.
Bodygarded person need to stand still and bodygard can move but must be within 700 units from bodygarded person.

no.
no
It is not possible to bodygard each other or perform "chain" bodygard as of patch 1.68 on US.

Yes.
No

If you drop their tanks and keep healers/casters suppressed with interrupt. Theurg nuking pets work through bodygard.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Zaffa said:
so forget all about the savage groups u though where overpowered, the usual fotm alb group have 1 or 2 casters able to interupt all of the hib casters
meaning a group like eclipse will become virtual unkill able by albs :p

Well.. A pure-tank group setup indeed wont work in toa anymore with all those ML's. But unkillable.. well no. Albs got also their share of casters and can field a viable group for them in TOA.

2x cleric
1x mincer
1x paladin (bodyguard)
1x reaver (bodyguard)
1x mind-sorc
1x ice-wiz
1x various-caster

or something similar might proove also deadly. No determination might suck abit but you got PB-disruption by the reaver, high dmg, slam, cross-guard, bodyguards, ranged dmg (debuffed ice), pb dmg (debuffed ice).

Experimation and stuff are required ofcourse to get the best result but saying Albs will be impossible to kill Hibs isnt true.

But i think Hibs will have it abit easier in the beginning, due to more experience with casters (and higher RR) a very nice bodyguard class in the warden and strong casters ofcourse.

I reckon Mids can build also good castergroups but they have abit of the same problem as Albs: They used to pure tankgroups and need to adept ;)

Borvo

Fledgling Freddie
hahah no more easy mode for tank grps =)

train goes for hero that bg a caster...then warden switch bg to hero.. then train goes for warden.. warden switch bg again or drop it and hero bg warden...etc tank grp wtfpwned 2sec later

yay for 3xpbae each 2sec and 3pbae caster doing 400dmg each wooot thats 3900dmg in 2sec =)

/em thinks he get some laugh after reading freddys when the easy mode tank grps whine and biatch here :p

Lakih

Resident Freddy
SilverHood said:
thanes might just be useful now....

You will see, they always find a way to destroy the fun for us hybrids... they always do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom