bmw 318?

mank!

Part of the furniture
hello. i've been looking at cars as my clio is still in the process of falling apart - i've not gone into college yet cos the roof has leaked and i don't want a soggy bum - and have seen some nice 318's within my price range/insurance group on autotrader...

i've got about £2.5k and need something that will last the best part of 18 months - 2 years before i go off to university. i have a daily commute of about 50 miles so i clock up plenty of miles and i want something that's fun to drive but comfortable for long journeys as well.

the 318 looks to fit the bill and i get the added bonus of looking like an utter twat when i turn upto my shitty college driving a beemer :)

anyone got any tips/advice?

this is one i've looked at, seems a decent price, lowish mileage for ages but not sure about all the replacement parts. it's also just down the road from me.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
They are always over-priced mate, and only have a good image if ,err, thats the sort of image you like :)
You could buy a Ford or a Vauxhall or something for less, or quite a bit newer for a similar budget. I know there will be cries (well, squeaks...) of derision , but hey, Im right and they're not, so thats how it is :)
If you really want one though, then thats the car for you.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thief magnets, and scrotemobiles unfortunately. The one you've listed will likely be a wreck.

Have a look at these:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/90264.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/100068.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/104041.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/107013.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/60077.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/104276.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/94437.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/100955.htm

Don't fall into the trap of believing that newer-lowermileage=better. A car thats 5 years old with 20000 miles on the clock is very likely going to be in worse condition than the same car with 10000 miles. Look for cars that have spent their lives on the motorway, not pootling around to the supermarket and back.

I've listed a good selection above. Don't discount any on age or mileage. My car has 175,000 miles on, and runs as though it was new (I'm serious, the engine is perfect).

leggy

Probably Scottish
Tom said:
Don't fall into the trap of believing that newer-lowermileage=better. A car thats 5 years old with 20000 miles on the clock is very likely going to be in worse condition than the same car with 10000 miles. Look for cars that have

Surely you mean better since it will most likely be used primarily on a motorway.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
heh.

This is weird as i have only just recently looking into buying a BMW 318.
I just love them.

its also worth a look on places like this: http://www.trade-sales.co.uk

Unfortunately I cant afford one right now :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
leggy said:
Surely you mean better since it will most likely be used primarily on a motorway.

Yes sorry, I missed a zero. I meant that a 20,000 mile car will likely be in worse mechanical condition than a 100,000 mile car of the same age.

Sustained engine revs on a motorway, no gear changes, hardly any braking, suspension not really used much - those are ideal conditions for a car. A pitted windscreen and a few stone chips will be all the battle damage you'd see, with perhaps a tired driver's seat and the steering wheel leather a bit worn down.

The 'little old lady pooter' thats got a worn clutch, a well used gearbox, tired suspension from kerbstones, potholes, speed bumps, on its 3rd set of brake discs, with an engine thats been used for short trips without getting fully up to temperature - bad news.

Personally Mank I'd go with the Fiesta, its a great handling car, cheap to run, millions of them around so very cheap on parts, anybody can service them as well, plus it will be dead easy to sell on. The Merc 190E is a very popular car, and not expensive to run either.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Hes already driving a ladies car and you are trying to get the poor lad into another one.

Its about time Mank manned up a little.

BUY A CAPRI!!!

mank!

Part of the furniture
cheers guys. i've got my heart set on a 318 now, but i won't rush into the decision yet.

any clues of what to look for in terms of finding a high mileage car which is motorway miles as opposed to urban crawling?

i'm not fussed about the 318 being a scrotemobile, most people would tell you that i look like a **** anyway.

what are they like to drive, anyone got one?

p.s. i have an illogical but deep-rooted loathing of fiestas. i think it's cos i remember my dad's...

Trem

Lots of stone chips on the front of the car and high miles generally means motorway miles and rep car. I love rep cars, they are always serviced properly and any little thing gets put right by the companies.....in my experience anyways.

Thing is mileage nowadays don't mean what it used to, a car with 100'000 miles means fuck all to me.

Always look at the car before the mileage is my advice.

mank!

Part of the furniture
cheers trem. my thoughts are that a quality built car like a bmw will probably have been looked after and serviced properly, so even if it is 10 years old with 100k+ miles on the clock then it should still run like a dream, unlike my clio which has been looked after well but after 135k, it's starting to self-destruct.

Trem

Wow, thats good miles for an old Clio.

She has served you well.

Maybe its me but nowadays I buy cars and try to not worry too much, if it goes wrong then I will deal with it when it happens. It was different when I was your age though, it was awful when my cars used to go wrong when I were a boy.

I just said to KevinUK in irc, an honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold, that can prove just as important as getting a good car imo.

mank!

Part of the furniture
yep, the clio has done very well - my mum bought it brand new in '94 and i inheirited it when i passed my test, it's a great little motor. i can chuck it about quite comfortably and i've absolutely ragged the fuck out of it in the past year or two, which hasn't helped :)

my main concern is buying a dud, cos i've never bought a car before and i'm about as far from an expert as humanly possible. i don't know a mechanic either, well, not personally.

my cousin is a second hand car salesman, so i'll probably take him with me when i look at cars instead of going on my own like a spazzer.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Just check the usual stuff you'd check on any second hand car, and make sure it's got a lot of documented history and a wad of receipts for work done (indicating if there are big items on the way).

The E36 is known for rapidly wearing / wonky rear shock mounts and outer ball joints failing prematurely. I also understand radiators and associated piping can perish (but can on any car that age i guess). Additionaly, make sure the alarm system is fully working as that can be a bit weird on older beemers.

Other than that, go for it and enjoy it.

The final problem with any BMW 4 cylinder, is that it leaves you longing for a six cylinder (thought about a 323?), but then a six cylinder leaves you longing for an M3 :(. It's a slippery slope.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The 318i is a good car, I mean it won't set your pants on fire but it'll be a darn sight more fun than you would in a Fiesta (spit) or a Merc 190 (fucking LOL Tom - worst suggestion evar! - built like a brick and handle like one too). The beauty of the 318i is there are loads around, so don't rush in an buy the first car you see. Only other thing I'd suggest is a Mk3 Golf GTI (funnily enough), you can pick up a mint 16v for about 2k about the same age as the Beemers you're looking at, and will cost about the same to run. Just avoid any with ~120k on the clock, as that seems to be the point where everything wears out and needs replacing.

*curses buying 123k 16v*

old.user4556

*points at Tom and Bodhi*

Enough with Merc and Golf suggestions :eek:

;)

Bodhi

You vill buy ze Golf!!!!!!

Hehehe I just thought it was fair enough seeing as I had the decision between a 318i and a Golf GTi. Both got around 4 stars in evo and the Golf was faster, so I took that.

*shrugs*

old.user4556

Nah fair point, great car .. if you ignore the Mk4 GTI that had that god awful 2.0 115 bhp affair going on :eek:

Bodhi

The guy who lives above me has one of those. I sneer at it everytime I walk past it. Too much car, not enough engine. My sister had the 1.8 that went before it, had 125bhp but was still pretty damp.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Cosworth 190, a brick? Thats one fast brick.

HGL

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Mank

I have a BMW 318iSE Auto 1996 Silver with 85k on the clock. I want to sell it because i'm too young to drive an automatic just yet ;) Would you be interested in the auto. Apart from that after driving a Ford Ka which was itself a fun car to drive, the Beemer is in a different class. The biggest difference i how much more confidence you have in the brakes they are sharp. Also with the centre arm rest it's very comfortable to drive and the interior and steering wheel feels special no plastic anywhere.

mank!

Part of the furniture
cheers fellas.

would love a golf but i'm going to hold off until i'm working full-time, earning a bomb making films in hollywood or something.

the 318 sounds more and more appealing, so i think i'll bide my time - what's the absolute max i should be spending on a decent 318 then?

old.user4556

Parkers have got a 318i SE with 80k miles on the clock anywhere between £1500 and £2500.

Tbh, how long is a bit of string - it depends on how well it's been serviced (beemer servicing or now) and what condition the bodywork and interior are in. I don't expect it needs anything special servicing wise, so long as it's been serviced at the proper intervals. It also depends on what options are on the car, certain things might be more desireable and push the price up a little bit.

I wouldn't pay £1500 for one with a massive hole in the history, covered in dings - i'd look about for a good one, pay a bit more money and get a service history and a wad of receipts.

mank!

Part of the furniture

old.user4556

Worth a phone call to the insurer Mank, might not be that different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom