Blurry Display

J

Jonny_Darko

I've just bought a new PC from Dell with a 17 inch Ultrascan monitor and a radeon 9800 card. For some reason the monitor display is ever so slightly blurry (though more than enough to bug me). I've downloaded the latest display drivers for my card and done all the other standard stuff (fiddled with the display settings, degaussed the screen etc.) but can't seem to sharpen the image up properly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

C

Ch3tan

If you've tried to focus the monitor and you can't sharpen it, see if Dell will replace it under warrenty.

L

lovedaddy

Im in the process of getting an IIyama 454 replaced with almost exactly that problem.
Got 2 of them the other day, 1 is focued and crisp, the other is almost as if I'm unfocuing my eyes. Text is almost unreadable, and edges on windows undefinded.

I'll let you know if they kick up a fuss (due to swap on tuesday)

Best of luck!

J

Jonny_Darko

I was hoping to be able to sort it without having to return something. Dell's customer service is the worst I've ever known and i was banking on not having to deal with them ever again :(

L

lovedaddy

My mate reckoned it would be easy enough to adjust 'something' (i didn't really ask), in the back of the monitor that would probably sort it out. However, I didn't want to know, is it would obviously invalidate your warrenty

I

Insane

Originally posted by lovedaddy
My mate reckoned it would be easy enough to adjust 'something' (i didn't really ask), in the back of the monitor that would probably sort it out. However, I didn't want to know, is it would obviously invalidate your warrenty

definately will invalidate your warranty, and you dont want to start poking around the back of a monitor if your untrained.. remember the screen still holds wack-loads of charge.

Jonny_Darko: I've dealt with both Dell and Compaq warranty repairs and havnt had that much problems with either of them, but they were business-based warranties so they might be handled differently.

easiest way to go through it all is to just phone up and explain that the screen is really blurry and you've tried everything apart from physical modification to rectify the fault and its not helped, and you'd like to get the monitor replaced or you may have to send it all back as its not of a satisfactory quality for use. (dell dont like doing this because of the mountains of paperwork involved in RMA's for whole systems)

also helps not to be rude on the phone, if the persons not being at all helpful just ask to be transferred to someone else who can help, or a supervisor who can do something, just dont be cheeky or arrogant when doing it or they'll press transfer then release on you.
And make a note of their name when you phone up, just in case they arnt helpful and you want to lodge a complaint, or they drop you when they transfer you across departments.

if all else fails, go through to the warranty team in Ireland (its the 0353 number) and they'll sort it out and transfer it to the UK team to deal with.

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by lovedaddy
Im in the process of getting an IIyama 454 replaced with almost exactly that problem.
Got 2 of them the other day, 1 is focued and crisp, the other is almost as if I'm unfocuing my eyes. Text is almost unreadable, and edges on windows undefinded!

The 454 has 3 preset modes (acessible from the menu on the base, or quick access by pressing "Up" and "Down"). They are "Text", "Picture" and "Movie" - Text is standard and should be fine and crisp. The other two boost the brightness and intensity - designed to overcome brightness problems in DVD films for instance. Before you send it back, do check that you're viewing in "text" mode, as the side affect of intensity boosting is that the edges go blurry.

JD: Have a quick check that your monitor doesn't have a similar option. Also, do you get the same problem in different resolutions/different refresh rates?

The refresh is set higher than 60Hz isn't it? 60 Hz does "blurry" rather well at the best of times.

L

lovedaddy

Cheers for the idea Shovel, but like I say, I've got 2 of them, 1 is perfect, the other is an unreadable mess (regardless of the picture settings)

Should be here some time today hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread