Blade Runner Coming to DVD (R1)

Starman

Part of the furniture
LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic "Blade Runner," one of the first movies to appear on DVD in 1997, is being restored and remastered for a brief reissue in September.

The DVD, featuring the 1992 "director's cut," will be deleted after four months, and replaced by a 25th-anniversary "final cut," which Warner Home Video is billing as Scott's "definitive new version" of the film. (Warner Home Video is a unit of Time Warner, as is CNN.)

After a limited theatrical release, the newly spruced-up "Runner" will be released in a multidisc special edition DVD that also will include the original theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut.

Warner said specifics about the two DVD editions will be announced later.

The director's cut first came out on DVD before optimal formatting standards had been established, said Doug Pratt, editor of the DVD-LaserDisc Newsletter.

"Shortly afterwards, it went into moratorium. The early adopters who bought the title have long since wished to see it upgraded, while other fans, who came into DVDs later on, have been unable to find it at all. It is the only 'big' sci-fi spectacle currently unavailable on DVD," Pratt said.

"Runner" stars Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos and Daryl Hannah and won plaudits -- as well as two Oscar nominations -- for its dark, bleak vision of the future. Ford heads the cast as Rick Deckard, a futuristic cop -- the film is set in 2019 Los Angeles -- who needs to kill four errant human clones who hijack a spaceship back to Earth after escaping from exile in an off-world colony.

The film opened in theaters in summer 1982, and while it grossed only $26.2 million, it quickly became a cult classic. The film is based on the novel by late science fiction writer Philip K. Dick, whose prose also led to such films as "Total Recall," "Minority Report" and "Paycheck."

Quoted from cnn.com.

Woot?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
the first R1 releases had worst pic quality than the laserdisc released in 92, the r2 was the same but came in sprucey boxset.

tbh pointless re-releasing it again if the unicorn scene is still missing, there used to some rumors years back that some vhs,betamax and laserdiscs pr dir cut had the unicorn scene in thos would prolly fetch a hefty sum on ebay

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Last chance to cash in on a DVD re-release before next years digitally remastered final final HD version.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Escape said:
Last chance to cash in on a DVD re-release before next years digitally remastered final final HD version.

And the blu-ray release.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I have Blade Runner on Laserdisc and DVD. Never realised it was now hard to get hold of.
After a limited theatrical release
I only hope it's not to limited, would love to see Blade Runner in the cinema :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hmm if its that hard to get hold of, I may just ebay my dvd of it.

I know they are milking it, but I will buy both new versions, and then sell them when the super dooper HD versions come out.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I have it on DVD as well - surely not THAT hard to get?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Sar said:
I have it on DVD as well - surely not THAT hard to get?

Nope its not.. i searched several sites and all has it in stock.

They just milking it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've got the director's cut on DVD, had it ages, Unicorns and all.

Shit box though. Anyhow, I refuse to buy SD DVDs any more, I'm waiting for HD.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I have BR on DVD, director's cut - shite quality, seriously needs a remastering.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Whipped said:
I have Blade Runner on Laserdisc and DVD. Never realised it was now hard to get hold of.

I only hope it's not to limited, would love to see Blade Runner in the cinema :)

You never went to see it ? :/

Mey

Part of the furniture
some of us weren't old enough to see it in the cinema :(

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i was 12 in 92 and not old enuff to pass as 15 year old:/

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
Yaka said:
the first R1 releases had worst pic quality than the laserdisc released in 92, the r2 was the same but came in sprucey boxset.

tbh pointless re-releasing it again if the unicorn scene is still missing, there used to some rumors years back that some vhs,betamax and laserdiscs pr dir cut had the unicorn scene in thos would prolly fetch a hefty sum on ebay

In that case, if i sell my copies, ill be rich ... RICH !!!! Mwuhahaha (no, im not selling) :kissit:

3 x DVD's : large box with film cell, screenplay, etc etc r2 director cut, R1 directors
Laserdisc
VHS directors and original theatrical
Didn't realise it was available in betamax tho ;)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'm hoping, praying, shouting that if they do release an all singing/dancing version of BR that they will EVENTUALLY release a proper soundtrack CD.

If you don't have it, the UK released version (or infact the other releases including bootleg) don't have all the proper music from the film. Some of it is from the film, other music is Vangelis' "version" of the music for a given scene.

It's a brilliant CD, it's just missing a fair chunk of the proper "in film" music (Taffy's Bar for instance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom