Blackjack, Kingdom of Finland? :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Check it out.

Especially interesting:

"Nordic sagas related about the Kingdom of Finland and her kings who, among others, conquered the Atlantic coast of the Scandinavian peninsula, founding there a state which was named Norway after the Finnish prince, Norri, as told by Snorri Sturluson in the Edda."

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Believing anything Snorri Sturluson wrote would be like taking Homer as gospel.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Check the link too, there's more writing of the finnish kings.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Snorri Sturluson - Sounds like a type of Pokemon

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Check it out.

Especially interesting:

"Nordic sagas related about the Kingdom of Finland and her kings who, among others, conquered the Atlantic coast of the Scandinavian peninsula, founding there a state which was named Norway after the Finnish prince, Norri, as told by Snorri Sturluson in the Edda."

Snorri Sturluson is not the guy you want representing your stance on history mate :D
Edda is a book of mythological poems.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Snorri Sturluson is not the guy you want representing your stance on history mate :D
Edda is a book of mythological poems.

Christ almighty of the crusading f*cks...doesn't anyone read the links?! :eek7:

Since you dont:

1154 Common Era:
The Arab historian and scientist, Al Idrisi tells that the King of Finland has possessions in Norway.
1187 CE.
According to a Swedish chronicle, Karelians conquer the Swedish capital and destroy it.
ca. 1200 CE:
The Danish historian, Saxo Grammaticus, tells about Finnish kings.
1220 CE:
The Icelandic bishop, poet, and historian, Snorri Sturluson, writes The Ynglinga Saga, in which marriages and wars of Finnish and Swedish royal families are mentioned.
1230 CE:
The introduction to the Orkneyinga Saga, Fundinn Noregr, relates about the kings of Finland and Kvenland and their conquest of Norway. According to the saga, the ruling families of Sweden, Norway, the Orkney Islands, Normandy, and England descend from the aforementioned Finnish kings.
1320 through 1340 CE:
The Eric Chronicle is concocted, i. e. the tale recognized by present school history about "crusades" to Finland.
1340´s CE:
The Lübeck town chronicle mentions how Birger Jarl annexed Finland to the Swedish empire.
1362 CE:
The constable of the Swedish "Eastern land," meaning Finland and Karelia, is given the right to partake in the royal election. Finland becomes a plenipotentiary part of the Svea empire.
1438 CE:
An influential farmer of Vesilahti, named David, declares himself King of Finland and begins to lead a dangerous peasant revolt. The revolt is defeated.
1548 CE:
Michael Agricola writes an introduction to his translation of the New Testament, including a fictitious story about "crusades" to Finland.
1554 CE:
A history written by Johannes Magnus, expelled from Sweden being a Catholic, is published in Rome. In the book, Finland is represented as an ancient kingdom.
1555 CE:
The famous "History of Nordic Peoples" by Olaus Magnus is published. Finland is mentioned as an old kingdom.
1598 through 1599 CE:
Finnish nobility and castle commanders fight on the side of King Sigismund against Duke Charles in the Swedish Civil War--e. g. a campaign to Upland and Stockholm. After the victory of Charles, hard times begin for the Finnish nobility and clergy. The beginning of intentional and persistent Swedification.
1616 through 1639 CE:
For political reasons, the historian Johannes Messenius serves time as prisoner at the Kajaani castle where he writes his history. Finland is noted as an ancient kingdom.
1650 CE:
Michael Wexionius represents Finland as an ancient kingdom in his history.
1670's CE:
"Finnish Chronicle by Anonymous" enlists the ancient Finnish kings.
1700 CE:
"Old and New Turku" by Daniel Juslenius, in which Finland is presented as an ancient kingdom.
1700 through 1705 CE:
"Scondia Illustrata" by Johannes Messenius is printed. Finnish kings are dealt with in depth.
1728 CE:
A Chronicle of Finland by an anonymous author appears in a publication called "Schwedische Bibliothek."
1742 CE:
A political move by Empress Elizabeth, a manifest on the independence of Finland, causes commotion: Finland, occupied by Russians because of "The War of the Hats," serves as the location for a Diet in Turku in order to elect a king for Finland. The elected king is Peter III, the later Czar, the then heir apparent. The Russians withdraw from the project and peace is concluded with Sweden in 1743.
1768 CE:
The historian, Tatishchev, relates about Finnish kings in his "Russian Chronicle."
1769 CE:
"Svea Rikes Historia" by Sven Bring appears. In it, Finland is still an ancient kingdom. New editions are printed in 1778, 1784, and 1790.
1771 CE:
The Norwegian Gerhard Schöning criticizes the historians' view on the Finnish kings in his work "Allgemeine Nordische Geschichte."
1772 CE:
The Swedish Johan Ihre opposes vehemently the view on the Finnish kings. Ihre does know the sagas but claims them to be fictitious balderdash. As for the ancient SWEDISH kings, he does NOT question the saga sources, nor do his successors.
1774 CE:
Billmark publishes "Finnish Chronicle in Rhymes" by J. Messenius which tells about Finnish kings as mentioned above.
1783 through 1784 CE:
The Russian empress, Catherine the Great, publishes an article about Russian history in which she considers Rurik, regarded as founder of Russia, to be a Finnish prince. The work is published in German in 1786.
1784 through 1800 CE:
Henrik Gabriel Porthan publishes the "Finnish Bishops' Chronicle" by Paul Juusten with a commentary. Porthan denies the existence of our own rulers and any independent government in Finland before the coming of the Swedes. Porthan's proofs are unfounded. For example, he claims that there could not have been kings in Finland since there were no "castle mountains" either. These attacks become understandable when one considers the fact that at the same time, Sprengtporten suggested in Russia a plan about an independent Finland.
1789 CE:
"Mythologia Fennica" by Christfrid Ganander. Finland is represented as an ancient kingdom.
1792 CE:
Billmark, professor of history, denies the existence of Finnish kings.
Present time:
The ancient state formations of the Finns and their rulers are still carefully concealed in the common newspaper and school level education, as part of obscuring the Finnish identity. Since the 1970's, the situation has still deteriorated.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Where do you wanna go with all this shit toht?

Denmark was Denmark before Finland was Finland

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Where do you wanna go with all this shit toht?

Denmark was Denmark before Finland was Finland

Err...just thought it was interesting and thought Blackjack might be interested as we had discussion about nordics etc. and gee golly whiz, thought it might interest someone else too...:eek7:

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I'm too hungover to think straight.. Sorry if I have offended you in any way mate

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm too hungover to think straight.. Sorry if I have offended you in any way mate

Not at all offended, just a bit :eek7: at bringing the denmark thingy into it :D

In all, though, i've just always been interested in the lost history of Finland and this was just rather interesting too. Actual Kingdom of Finland would be so grand. Especially to establish a place in the viking history.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I would say as an outsider to Scandavia, i don't see Finland as part of Scandavia, or associate it with Vikings. I associate it more with Russia.

I'm only guessing, but i'd suggest this view is fairly common.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I would say as an outsider to Scandavia, i don't see Finland as part of Scandavia, or associate it with Vikings. I associate it more with Russia.

I'm only guessing, but i'd suggest this view is fairly common.

Exactly the problem i see with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom