Biofuels are worse than Petrol!!!

rynnor

Rockhound
The US have hit on biofuels as a way to lessen their dependance on imported fossil fuels - however a study showed that if all the bio-fuel usable food crops in the entire US were used it would only supply 10% of the US drivers demand for Petrol.

Such demand will drive up prices of food crops which could lead to imports being sucked in from countries with food shortages - the whole plan is hopeless and potentially disastrous to the environment due to the increased demands placed on finite land rescources.

At least petrol doesnt leave poor countries starving...

Interesting article here - http://www.i-sis.org.uk/HTBFAFRUCC.php

Tom

I am a FH squatter
More scare tactics from the green bullshitters.

Anything that quotes George Monbiot deserves contempt.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
In other news, the shining fox in the land of ghosts.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
More scare tactics from the green bullshitters.

Anything that quotes George Monbiot deserves contempt.

True, but BioFuels probably aren't the answer though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well they work for me, since diesel = £1, and veggie oil = £0.52 :D

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Use Hemp!

Stupid american gits, honestly. :eek:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
Well they work for me, since diesel = £1, and veggie oil = £0.52 :D

Yeah, I was kind of talking about everyone. Biofuels don't scale well. And that price difference is just a reflection of the tax system anyway; it has nothing to do with the real price.

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Lets hope Customs and excise don't catch up with you Tom. Legal Biodiesel is only about 20p a litre cheaper than diesel.

rynnor

Rockhound
DaGaffer said:
Yeah, I was kind of talking about everyone. Biofuels don't scale well. And that price difference is just a reflection of the tax system anyway; it has nothing to do with the real price.

Aye, thats the point, its ok while its just a few individuals using up excess stocks but it can never be a mass fuel without having an impact on scarce food rescources.

Thats why its annoying to see Petrol companies wasting hundreds of millions of dollars looking at Biofuels when its already obvious that they are'nt the solution.

Hydrogen or Methane based systems charged by nuclear power seems the best bet to me.

The reason the US is so keen on biofuels is because its desperate to remove its dependency on middle east oil by any available means - the petrol companies like it too because they know it can never replace them.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The US has plenty of oil, and will likely start sucking it up from Antarctica one day. Personally I reckon they're keen to use every last drop the ME has, before standing at the top of their castle blowing raspberries at everyone else :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Tom said:
The US has plenty of oil, and will likely start sucking it up from Antarctica one day. Personally I reckon they're keen to use every last drop the ME has, before standing at the top of their castle blowing raspberries at everyone else :)

I'm not sure about that - oil from different fields has different qualities - it may be that most of the US crude oil isnt that suitable for fuel use?

Interestingly I read up on oil production and found that its possible to create crude oil from coal. Maybe Wales will become the next Texas :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Nah, they mine Pot Noodles in Wales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom