Bikes Races (for Wilier)

Will

/bin/su
I was going to ask you what bike racing you were planning on doing this year (after your New Year Resolution), but your PM box is full. So I'll just post it here.

Doing any racing this year? I'm planning on doing Closer to the Devil in April, and I might be doing Sleepless in the Saddle if my mates persuade me to go.

For the non-bikers, Sleepless is a 4 person team, 24 hour racing event.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Oooh blimey Will, you got me there.

I would imagine, and this depends totally on how my training goes, I will do some spring road races, just local ones of upto around 60miles. Then probably late spring start to attack some MTB XC races, again as local as poss, with an aim of doing the national series in the summer.

My biggest goal will be to get some decent fitness together and build my speed up toward the winter for the Cross season and if all goes well have a crack at the National Trophy.

But we'll have to wait and see.

As far as that devil thingy goes, your insane. Mind you, the sleepless will be good, we did the Red Bull 24hr 4 years on the trot (finishing 5th Elite in our last year) and each time I did it I vowed to never, ever do such a stupid thing again.

BTW, were planning a summer hol in Scotland this year, Im taking my bike so I'll give you a prod with a location nearer the time.

Will

/bin/su
Am I insane for the underground mine racing, or insane for the singlespeeding? :)

Cross racing sounds a bit silly to me...lets take a totally inappropriate bike, and race it offroad. Then again, the Three Peaks race draws a lot of people every year.

National series? I'd have to stop smoking to do that. I'll stick to the fun singlespeed events. The Worlds are in the US this year, so I'll pass on that, but I think the Euros should be in Wales, so I'll be going there. The Euros were at Aviemore in 2004, and that was by far the most fun event I've ever been to. Drinking, breakfast of bacon and paracetemol, racing, then back to the pub, then a drunken derby round the hotel carpark. :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Will's actually gotten me thinking of going, or at least providing a half-way crash pad to eat bacon sarnies at. Wilier come too!!1 :eek:

Will

/bin/su
I have two spare singlespeed rear wheels (vee brakes only though), and a chain tensioner. :)

And I have a spare singlespeed frame too, though you have to be very tall. :)

TdC

tall? what's that? also my bergwerk is disk only :)

Will

/bin/su
TdC said:
tall? what's that? also my bergwerk is disk only :)
Its a 20" frame, with a very long top tube. You'd need to be 6'2" or taller to fit properly.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Single speed would still fit in my Trek though wunnit? Just take the rear mech of and adjust the front to stay on the middle ring?

Im a vee brake bwoi tbh, discs are for girls :p

Will

/bin/su
You'll have vertical dropouts, so you'll need something to add tension to the chain. You can bodge the rear mech to do it, or you can fit a chain tensioner. Or you can find the magic gear, but thats getting too complex for a computer gaming website.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Will said:
You'll have vertical dropouts, so you'll need something to add tension to the chain. You can bodge the rear mech to do it, or you can fit a chain tensioner. Or you can find the magic gear, but thats getting too complex for a computer gaming website.

Chain tensioner from my stupid downhill days :)

TdC

.Wilier. said:
Im a vee brake bwoi tbh, discs are for girls :p

wait till you see my hayes 8" rotors, they'll make you squeal like a girl tbh ;)

Will

/bin/su
So, are you coming to the mine race?

Can I have a lift? :D

TdC

lol :)

tbh I am tempted, and so is Max btw. april 2 is a saturday so it's my day off by default but maxlet has to work. he has lots of free time scheduled though so I suppose he can make it. I may even go on the gimp ;)

Will

/bin/su
You'll change your mind once you've tried pedalling the Gimp a bit, and the gearing wouldn't be set for XC....you're going for 38:16, I think...I do XC on 32:17. We have hills in this country though. ;)

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
I was going to ask you what bike racing you were planning on doing this year (after your New Year Resolution), but your PM box is full. So I'll just post it here.

Doing any racing this year? I'm planning on doing Closer to the Devil in April, and I might be doing Sleepless in the Saddle if my mates persuade me to go.

For the non-bikers, Sleepless is a 4 person team, 24 hour racing event.

A couple of mates of mine usually do sleepless in the saddle, where is it being held this year?

TdC

Will said:
I do XC on 32:17. We have hills in this country though. ;)

32? 32? don't you dare to ever deride my granny gear ever again!! :eek:

;)

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
Down the road from where I live, may take some snapz

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Will said:

Trentham Gardens is a great place for an XC race, Ive done a couple of National Points there in the past, but by fuck, it was hard. Not big hills, but steep......not really suited to a 24hr race imho, unless they use a lot of the flatter bits.

This mine thingy then........where is it?

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
They've held the 24hr there quite a few times and I think they do include the hilly bits in the course, could be wrong though.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
.Wilier. said:
Trentham Gardens is a great place for an XC race, Ive done a couple of National Points there in the past, but by fuck, it was hard. Not big hills, but steep......not really suited to a 24hr race imho, unless they use a lot of the flatter bits.

This mine thingy then........where is it?

dat site said:
The race will take place in a Potash mine in Sondershausen near the city of Erfurt in the old East Germany.

damn 3 character rule

Will

/bin/su
Serves me right for posting a reply just after I'd woken up.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Germany??

Bad enough going to Scotland never mind ferking Germany :(

TdC

.Wilier. said:
Germany??

Bad enough going to Scotland never mind ferking Germany :(

lol I said as much too :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom