Science Bike Printing

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Just wondering whats the difference between a block of titanium and something thats basically powder welded together over and over again.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The article explains it.

"Printing" is a bit misleading tbh and makes it sound all sexy and web 2.0. Sintering is a process that's been around for donkey's years but now they can do more intricate things with it thanks to computahs. Very impressive stuff.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yeah, looks like it it'snot suitable for mass production, with him doing all that hoovering malarkey.
On a side note my mate's company used to 'chrome' coat plastics and they way it was done was so cool,
they put all the plastics in a vacuum chamber and used an element to flash melta small block of aluminium , it vapourised in the vacuum and coated the plastic in a super shiny film, amazing to watch through the viewing window.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well it isn't at the moment suitable for mass production but then very few processes ever start out with mass production ability, you get the process right then later you can think about other factors such as mass production.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Well it isn't at the moment suitable for mass production but then very few processes ever start out with mass production ability, you get the process right then later you can think about other factors such as mass production.

The processes its looking to replace aren't really "mass" production either; its stuff like aircraft parts that are usually pretty short-runs usually done by CNC milling and/or forging. I don't think this is the kind of process you're going to see throwing out parts by the million.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Actually part of the idea behind it seems similar to 3D printing but again it isn't something for the masses at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom