News Big old asteroid

rynnor

Rockhound
A 400 metre diameter asteroid '2005 YU55' is coming within the orbit of the moon on Nov 8th. Its the closest approach by an object this large since we began searching for potentially hazardous asteroids.

Its not going to hit us but a pass this close to earth will alter its orbit slightly - it may one day in the far future collide with earth.

Just shows how much junk is floating around in our solar system :)

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news171.html

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Aye, the chances of anything hitting us is pretty remote in the greater scheme of things but we know plenty have hit us in the past, several much larger than 400m. It will happen some day though, it could be in 10 years, 100 years, 1000 years but it will have the potential to be an armageddon event if it isn't dealt with before it hits us.

We as a race don't really take it seriously enough, not enough sky is monitored.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
November 8th?

The 8th?

Umm....i'd prepare my rations if i were you, that's my birthday you know :unsure:

georgie

FH is my second home
November 8th?

The 8th?

Umm....i'd prepare my rations if i were you, that's my birthday you know :unsure:

bah shameless selfpromotion.... :p

Shocking isn't it... what kind of loser puts it out there to make sure everyone knows when his birthday is... Probably wants to make sure he gets a birthday thread or something. Sad cunt.

P.S. It's my birthday on the 8th too

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
bah shameless selfpromotion.... :p

More like an advance warning as if on any day an asteroid could hit it would be that day :p

On that notion, i don't need a b-day thread. I don't celebrate my parents having sex with much gusto :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What strange parents you have, for them to have had sex on the day one of them was giving birth.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
November 8th you say, would be an absolute tragedy for all the 12 year olds to only get one day of MW3 in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom