Big Brother US style

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I wish I had a quid for each time one of the kids on this forum told people to fuck off and stop worrying about their governments. :rolleyes:

Now, if only someone would shoot Theresa May and her identikit counterpart on the other side...

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Er...weve been doing it for years..its a legal requirement for the telcos.

rynnor

Rockhound
lol, you think that's bad? Have a look at the program PRISM that the US use to monitor pretty much EVERYONE IN THE WORLD! :D

Yeah - I see that one's in the news today too.

In the UK everyone has access to our phone data - the UK security services, the US security services and China :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
lol, you think that's bad? Have a look at the program PRISM that the US use to monitor pretty much EVERYONE IN THE WORLD! :D

Yes, but that's OK because they're only monitoring dirty furriners, not red-blooded Murricans. That's what this is all about; the convoluted knots Americans tie themselves into because of the constitution; the Police can't monitor people in other states, the FBI can chase people across state lines but aren't supposed to monitor them, the CIA can't do anything inside America's borders, so that leaves the NSA, which is also only supposed to be for foreign comms but they got around that years ago by rules that allow them to monitor calls to and from the US to other countries; which basically means they can monitor anyone who's ever communicated from the US to someone abroad, by any means, which, guess what, means anyone who's logged on to an overseas website or been routed to a foreign call centre. You only have to have communicated abroad once, to be on the monitor list for ever, which by this stage, means most Americans can be monitored.

In the UK its much simpler; the government enables RIPA, a few people mumble about civil liberties and the cost, and it happens anyway.

rynnor

Rockhound
The US have been big on bugging the international telephone system since the 70s.

Domestic bugging on a small scale got Nixon in deepshit - now it seems no-one cares about their constitution if you say its for homeland security.

Apathy rules!

Job

People worry aboit Huwai supplying much of our computer infastructure...but we sold systemX to the Chinese because it had god built in spying facilities...didnt seem to bother them.

Embattle

FH is my second home
This isn't new news is it? I mean, it's not a surprise. Since the NSA started talking about the Utah Data Center (and probably long before, it's not like it's their only data center but it is the first built to exclusively support the Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative), there have been concerns about what they were going to do with it.

Not for most people, to me it is just ironic since I find American's tend to think they were immune to such action while gloating over it happening in over countries.

Himse

FH is my second home
Somebody, quick, grab me my tinfoil!! A hat has to be made!

rynnor

Rockhound
Somebody, quick, grab me my tinfoil!! A hat has to be made!

Funny thing is that a load of tinfoil hat talk just turned out to be true - its only a conspiracy until the proof is out - it should serve as a wakeup call.

rynnor

Rockhound
It gets worse - apparently GCHQ have been getting data from the americans prism system on UK citizens.

It enables them to avoid the normal legal process they would otherwise have to follow...

soze

I am a FH squatter
All UK telephone calls are recorded by GCHQ aren't they? I thought every call was recorded every email scanned for certain words. But the police have no access its only the security services. So unless you regularly talk about plots to overthrow the government or make jokes about blowing shit up you should be fine.

rynnor

Rockhound
I'm getting pretty sick of the 'only the guilty need fear' justification for the gradual erosion of our rights and freedoms tbh.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If they have been doing it since 2001 which is when I seem to remember about GCHQ doing it why are you getting worked up today?

And I am sorry that I do not share your view and maybe when I do want to fight back there will be no one left but what good is bitching about it here. Unless you are out there protesting it you are the same as me except you will end up with a ulcer and a sore wrist from shaking it at your PC.

rynnor

Rockhound
soze said:
If they have been doing it since 2001 which is when I seem to remember about GCHQ doing it why are you getting worked up today?

And I am sorry that I do not share your view and maybe when I do want to fight back there will be no one left but what good is bitching about it here. Unless you are out there protesting it you are the same as me except you will end up with a ulcer and a sore wrist from shaking it at your PC.

Protesting is a waste of time in the UK - look at the anti Iraq war protests.

It is useful to raise awareness since the Govt uses an incremental policy to slip under the radar.

I think Darknets may be the solution to all this or something similar.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
atm I believe he's vanished himself. tbh he's going for the security of being too known to be vanished, whereas at the same time he's said he doesn't want to be in the media eye.

Job

They dont routinely scan for keywords..thats just urban myth..but as Ive said before the UK telephone network is designed from the ground up to be able to route any call through a monitoring centre without you having a clue its happening..as a data manager I could log in..type your number in and listen to your conversation..though if I did it you would hear a soft beep while I was listening..I could also get a list of all your calls and who rang you..thats why I had to sign the secrets act..it has been like this dince the first digital exchange and monitoring is fundamental..in fact if the monitoring software fails the call fails wether you are being monitored or not..its the first thing the exchange does.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Funny, isn't it?

An individual's digital data = intangible goods not subject to protection, fuck you

A corporation's digital data = protected by copyright law, fuck you
The state's data = protected by national security laws, look at Bradley Manning and yes, fuck you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom