Big bike ride

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I had me a big bike ride today. The first of many this year, although I normally do 10 miles or so a ride daily I don't normally climb up 1000 feet hills and through boggy forests.

I started here and headed east, following my nose to get to the summit. In case you think it all looks a bit flat, check out these piccies:

Rivington Pike Bike Ride - a photoset on Flickr

My destination is the tiny dot on the hill, between the two trees to the right. Rivington Pike. Its about 1000 feet up.

2361175139_2903a3c278_b.jpg

2361201173_314fb69236_b.jpg

This presumably was the local bigwig's house at one time:

2361243225_0a9b25eb17_b.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
First big climb:

2362073224_e3a9947017_b.jpg

2361239663_06cf340522_b.jpg

A nice ickle stream:

2361238163_dab89dcdd0_b.jpg

2361260125_b8c33c4470_b.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Almost there!

2362247348_ca9ae0067e_b.jpg

Shit, no I'm not almost there! :(

2362235080_ac24301418_b.jpg

The summit at last!

2362211456_a5d4f4e3f2_b.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Rivington Pike was basically a place for Grouse hunters to nip in and have a brew in front of a roaring fire, but that was stopped around the turn of the 20th century. Before it was built in the 18th century, it was originally a big pile of wood to be lit as a signal beacon in case of any naughtiness from invading armies.

Finally, the view (click the image to see the full size version)

The main things are Manchester (far left) and The Reebok stadium (Bolton Wanderers ground), as well as the Rivington Reservoir.

I took more or less the same route back down, although I went through some lovely derelict terraced gardens there wasn't a great deal of interest to photograph. There was this lovely little twisty bit though, which was 'no bikes' according to the sign but we all ignore those ;)

2362006518_cf70ece3a6_o.jpg

Now I have to figure out how to stop my damn pads from squealing so much. I swear people 2 miles away could hear them as I headed back down the hill. So embarrassing :(

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
thats some nice pics there fella hope you enjoyed ya day :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Spray your pads and rims with silicone that will stop the squeak......but not the bike.

Will

/bin/su
Copper slip on the back of the pads will help with the squealing. Check the pads are dialled in properly too, they look like Avid cable discs so this should be really easy.

Looks like a nice ride. You should come to Glentress. So I can break you. :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Copper slip on the back of the pads will help with the squealing. Check the pads are dialled in properly too, they look like Avid cable discs so this should be really easy.

also check your wheels are as tight as you can get them, but being you you're there already :)

and Will's good at breaking people: this one time, at band camp, he had to ride my jump bike in the woods, while I was recovering from having the metal bits out of my leg, and the jump bike weighs just under 30kg and he still had to wait for me at the tops of climbs :)

TdC

also check your wheels are as tight as you can get them, but being you you're there already :)

and Will's good at breaking people: this one time, at band camp, he had to ride my jump bike in the woods, while I was recovering from having the metal bits out of my leg, and the jump bike weighs just under 30kg and he still had to wait for me at the tops of climbs :)

smashing pics btw. you inspire me to get out on the bike again :)

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
Nice pics. I don't live too far from there (9 miles) and have cycled up to Rivington before, but never gone up to the top - I've always wussed out and cycled around the reservoirs and woods etc. I've walked up the pike mind, nice view.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

I would mate but its in northernland :) I quite fancy going to Cannock Chase soon though, thats not far from here.

I think the pads have oil on them, so I've got them soaking in detergent, then I'm going to file some more off, but the majority of the problem is contamination on the discs - I've sprayed brake cleaner on them but I think I may have to attack them with my metal sanding disc to get it all off.

Will

/bin/su
Brake cleaner should fix the discs, you shouldn't need to sand them. Oil doesn't soak into metal. ;)

The pads, on the other hand...soaking them is usually the kiss of death. Baking in the oven is the best way to try to remove any contamination.

TdC

aye, you may well be best of with just a set of new pads now. (don't forget to bed them in!)
as to the squealing, do make sure that the rotors (torx screws prolly), callipers, and your wheels are tight as can be. Copperslip on the non-grip side of the pads will help, and perhaps a realignment of the pads, or a check for uneven wearing out (pads will look like \\ or // rather than || if you know what I mean) which you can even out with shims on the callipers.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Aye its annoying how theres no shim on the backs of each pad, but I'll dab a touch of copperslip on the back of each one.

I sanded the discs down with 'bastard-grit' sandpaper, they're nice and clean now. There was a smooth plasticy layer on them from whatever was on the pads, thats gone now.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well I guess my pads are fooked - cleaned up the discs and baked the pads, and look at what happened after last night's 10 mile ride:

Rear disc cleaned up, front disc left alone:

2368896924_9bd22e6bc2_b.jpg

Rear pads - loads left on them, the trouble is it likes transferring across to the discs :(

2368063301_e1c0d3cc43_b.jpg

You guys got any recommendations for replacement pads? My rides are always really muddy cacky gritty wet XC rides.

TdC

yeah, organics are for mimes ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom