Bicycle Racks(for Cars)

Nate

FH is my second home
Recently took up a bit of offroad with a few friends, I'm now looking to buy one of these, it's to go on a Renault Clio 2004. Needs to fit two mountain bikes. I've found a few, I'm not sure I want to spend much over £100 but if it's needed so be it :)

Anyone who has bought in the past or has some recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

I found a couple that look ok to me

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raleigh-verona-bike-boot-fitting/dp/B000XQAD6C/ref=pd_cp_sg_0
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000QJ8B...ve=22134&creativeASIN=B000QJ8BV0&linkCode=asn This one I'm not sure about anymore, after reading a review that after a few miles you need to re-tighten the straps.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-TH970...sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1333060901&sr=1-4 This one looks good to me, has some good reviews too. Just need to find out in the morning if my tow ball is man enough.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I too have a similar requirement for a honda civic type-r :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
they way fuel prices are going you'll be needing a fucking car rack for a bike.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thule are generally recognised as offering the best kit. You don't need to spend £100, £50 will do the trick. I have one from Halfords that fits two bikes, the only thing I'd say is that you should buy a bit of insulation tape, or cut up an old inner tube - because the mounting points will scour your paintwork if you don't put something between the rack and car. You'll also need half a dozen bungee cords of varying lengths, to hold the handlbars, crank and chain in place while you drive.

Also, you should ensure that whatever solution you go for does not block either your registration plate or tail lights. Any bored police officer could easily ticket you for that. I just take the wheels and saddle off, and place them in the boot.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That sounds like a right pain in the arse tbfh Tom. I'd want a rack so I could fill my boot with other stuff rather than wheels.

What about the high-mounts, like this one?

What's the ticket for having an obscured number plate btw? If it's cash-only I'd probably consider it worth the risk :)

As for scratching your car - a mate's got something like one of these - the rubber pads do the trick and the ties underneath where you strap the bike prevent most of the frame movement whilst driving...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The high mounts are fine as long as you're not driving a car with high tail lights. You might be prepared to risk a fine for obscuring the registration plate but what if the copper insists you stop obscuring it before allowing you to continue your journey?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If I had to I'd take the wheels off. You'd have to be a pretty fucking miserable plod to stop someone travelling within the speed limit because of a bike obscuring a number plate a little tho...

Carrying bikes would be the only time I'd be within the limit, admittedly ;)

Nate

FH is my second home
Boo my car doesn't have a tow :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom