Question bicycle kevlar tyres

Tilda

Ok, hybrid road bike, I seem prone to punctures, don't cycle at the moment as I haven't bothered to change my tube after my last puncture. Basically I just want something that won't get punctures!

Can a cycling genius recommend me something please? Someone has suggested schwaber marathon tyres, are these any good?

Cheers,

Tild

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Worn-out tyres. Get new ones, and a track pump with a pressure gauge so you can inflate them to the correct pressure.

Also, lots of brambles being chopped down at this time of year. Brambles = thorns.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The only real way you will prevent punctures is to have solid tyres...which won't be a very comfortable ride!

Will

/bin/su
Continental UltraGatorskins are relatively cheap and are kevlar lined so don't puncture much. But I'm very light, so I don't get many punctures anyway.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
Continental UltraGatorskins are relatively cheap and are kevlar lined so don't puncture much. But I'm very light, so I don't get many punctures anyway.

Gatorskins - Yea, I commuted for a year on these, no punctures. Shit tyre mind you, but lasts well. You do need to keep them inflated properly really - don't piss about with hand pumps, you need 110psi minimum on a road bike, you need a track pump for that.

Will

/bin/su
Depends what size you use. 28c only needs about 80psi. I like comfy. :)

And they aren't that bad. In their price range, they are very good. I can't afford to throw £35 an end at a bike, especially one I cover the sort of distances I do on my road bike. If I was racing, I'd pick something lighter. But then you've got more chance of punctures.

Tilda

Tom, was a new bike before I rode it once and got a puncture! Around here its more broken glass you have to watch for than thorns!

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
Depends what size you use. 28c only needs about 80psi. I like comfy. :)

Needs more gimp-power. 23c max!

Broken glass plus tyres is not a good combo Tilds...

Nate

FH is my second home
The guys at the farm told me they fill tyres up with a liquid sometimes, slows a puncture down or something. Never tried it mind. Might be something to look in to.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Tom, was a new bike before I rode it once and got a puncture! Around here its more broken glass you have to watch for than thorns!

Crap tyres then. Tyres almost always puncture regularly when they're worn out.

Go down to your LBS and get some better ones. Shouldn't cost more than £30 for the two.

Will

/bin/su
You can put slime / latex in, but it makes them a bit heavy / dead feeling.

I was in a shop today (they gave me a job, yay!) and they sell a lot of Schwalbe Marathons, so they are probably pretty good to. A lot more robust looking than UltraGatorskins.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The guys at the farm told me they fill tyres up with a liquid sometimes, slows a puncture down or something. Never tried it mind. Might be something to look in to.

The liquid stuff is bloody rubbish in my opinion.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I got some Specialized Armadillos some years back, they were pretty good and not too expensive, but I haven't done much riding in the last couple of years.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmm, I used a pair of Schwalbe ultremo slicks 23c, and had only one puncture ever, and I even rode them off road, and on crushed shell surfaced paths (which cut the tyres to ribbons but DID NOT puncture them)

currently I ride some conti 4 season GT tyres, also no punctures.

imo: proper pressure, and keep an eye on the road. riding through glass and stuff = risk, regardless of how awesome your rubber is :/

fettoken

I am a FH squatter

Cement? You´ll be riding like Fred, stone wheels and all!

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've found the tiny road stones to be worse than glass, in essence they are like small gravel that is sanded down via cars and end up at the side of the road after heavy rain.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Schwable marathons are good enough to stop most punctures short of nails, I think I got maybe a couple of punctures in 3-4k miles on them, including off-road stretches with alot of cut hedge. If you want really bombproof tyres, there's also Marathon Pluses which have a extra thick kelvar layer, but they are supposesly a pain to get on and off the rim when you do get a puncture.

Other thing is to put some Stan's tyre sealant in the inner tubes:

Stans No Tubes The Solution Tyre Sealant 'Pint'

It's supposed to be used on tubeless tyres but nothing to stop you squirting some in the valve to make them almost punture immune. It works much much better than the slime filled tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom