Help bicycle folks

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i have a baracuda edge full suspension mountain bike

21 gears, shimano something or other
v-brakes
"gripshift" gear changing system
still has original tyres on it!

pretty much as new condition except some minor rusting on one of the tubes which covers the brake cable.

i want to sell it because its too small for me now and i plan on cycling more with the rise in fuel prices. how much should i ask for? and whats a decent road bike for upto £100?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
whats a decent road bike for upto £100?

*blinks*

um. I don't think that will work well. did you mistype 1k or are you looking for an old (but loved) second hand?

tris-

maybe im just old fashioned but back in my day you could buy a bike that cheap and still be fairly decent.

i only want it to ride to uni and back which is about a 5 mile journey each way. to do that on the current bike id need to leave my self about 10 hours for the journey with a quick nap half way there.

would i be better off buying a frame and just transfering the bits?

TdC

I don't know how the UK prices are, but here in holland you can buy a lot of second/third/fourthhand clunkers for less than that (my current bike cost less, and has drum brakes, and even working lights!) however a semi decent second hand road bike will set you back at least 250 euros, so say ~200 squids.

tris-

thing is i dont think i need anything too fancy. whats a basic scummy student type bike? you reckon £200?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Sold my Barracuda for £60, and that was in very good nick.

Selling my hardtail on ebay atm, it's utter crap but it's great for getting around locally. Used it around 6 times and it's been stored in flat gathering dust since :( Not expecting much over 50 for it tbh.

TdC

oh, I thought you meant road bike! basic scummy student bikes cost a tenner or so don't they? (or two pints of strongbow ~I've been told). Seriously though, for such a bike, 100 squids will get you a lot of bike.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Just the job for uni

large_wheel_unicycle.jpg

tris-

Sold my Barracuda for £60, and that was in very good nick.

was it a full suspension job with bright migraine inducing colors?

whats the difference tdc? to me a road bike is just a bike that you can cycle on the road! so pretty much anything for upto £100 should do be ok? any particular configurations or names i should be looking out for?

Will

/bin/su
Just to step in at this point, you'll be lucky to get more than £50 for your Barracuda. And you won't be able to transfer many bits over to a road bike, the wheels will be different sizes for a start.

£100 won't buy you anything new. Well, nothing better than the bike you are thinking of selling.

Are you after a bike for commuting, or for racing, or just for going to the shops?

TdC

whats the difference tdc?

aha, a bike I call a road bike is a thing you see the tour-de-france dope users on. other than that, what Will said tbh.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Harry Halls in Manchester often have a stash of dumped bikes you can take. People buy a new bike, and leave their old one outside the door. Happens a lot they say.

Worth asking about similar at your LBS.

tris-

Are you after a bike for commuting, or for racing, or just for going to the shops?

ride to university and back.

lets forget i said road bike, its not that typa deal ive got in mind.

Will

/bin/su
Basically you want any bike with no suspension and slick tyres. If you want new, you could probably get something at a proper bike shop at £250, though you could get something 2nd hand far cheaper. Fit is important, so I'd recommend adverts in local papers and Gumtree, so you can try them out for size.

tris-

cheers. might have to go 2nd hand. £250 is far too much for me!

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I got my bike for £20 of eBay. I use it for about 15 minutes a day to get to town and back, and haven't had any problems with it.

Around here there's a charity that collects abandoned and donated bikes, then reconditions them to sell or send to third world countries. If there's something like that near you you should be able to get a decent, fixed up, second bike from them for less than £100.

Will

/bin/su
We've got a place like that in Edinburgh too. The Bike Chain, I think it is called.

Oh, from my years of commuting by bike, can I recommend mudguards please. They aren't sexy, but they are very practical.

tris-

will, how much do you think i can get for my current bike?

edit: woops, you already said :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom