Best TV card for capturing game video?

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone recommend a TV Card to be used specifically for capturing footage of games from my S-Video out on a seperate PC? I imagine that I'm looking for a card that will have some decent compression options and maximum resolution/refresh frequency. Needs to be flexible regarding what editing software you can use, because I don't know which editor I'll use yet.

I've been shopping around all morning but not entirely sure what I should be looking for and at what price for the best quality video.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
The Hauppauge PVR 250 and 350 (iirc) both do hardware MPEG encoding, so that may be the sort of thing you're after.

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
PVR 250 looks perfect much better than the budget stuff I was looking at before, thanks matey.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
bought one recently, Haupage....very expensive & unless your system is shit -full-on hardware coding is prolly unnecessary.

So, I bought a leadtek winfast2000xp...iirc it was about 40 quid (overcockers uk)....cheap as chips & works a treat....it will do s-video...doesn't have onboard sound, so you'll need a soundcard to capture (unlike haupage)...it will code mpegs 1 & 2 streaming (and I think 4 - MPEG2 is about a meg per second on good quality, about 4 megs/s on best). The bundled software (sonic MyDVD) works with my DVD burner for making DVDs. It does pause / rewind realtime & all that crap, has a radio tuner, has some feature for downloading tv program schedules for remote recording (a years free subs to the service...dont work with sky)....for the money, its purty good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom