Best RTS out there?

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Well since daoc grew old im looking for a RTS to play online. Its gonna be mostly 2vs2 stuff as im doing it with a m8.
Tryed warcraft 3, not the big fuss about it.

Just wondering what you guys think, what would you play if you stopped with daoc?

So basicly, a RTS(real time strategy(sp)), eg Age of Empires, C&C ect, with a active online community, that is fit for 2on2 :).

We are mostly waiting for Supreme Commander and C&C 3 atm, but thats not till 2007 so need something before that.

Thanks in advance :) :worthy:

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Starcraft!
the main thing with wc3 was the awesome storyline, pvp in wc3 didnt really pick up until frozen throne imo
And Dota-Allstars is a brilliant map to spend the time on:)

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
C&C Generals Zero Hour, all about that game and got loads of mods for it so when your bored you can jazz it up

Zegas

Fledgling Freddie
Have you tried Age Of Empires III, like you named it in your post :eek: That has many online and most 2v2 games so. Also Rising nations but it gets laggy sometimes because of the mass amounts of units you can create :O 5000 compared to 200 or something of AOE :p

Dantares

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, I think that for playing online Starcraft is the most rounded of all the RTS games. Mind you, I don't really play online as I suck at it online.

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Starcraft no doubt.

Soooooo many differenct tactics, playstyles, build orders and good balance.

Plus its just plain cool races in a cool setting :D

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
c n c zero hour rocked the kazbar in its time. not sure about now.

my suggestion would be to buy a couple of PSXs and some link cables and get some origional red alert going on a 14" tv.

that was THE BEST multiplayer experience i ever had.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Chronictank said:
Starcraft!
the main thing with wc3 was the awesome storyline, pvp in wc3 didnt really pick up until frozen throne imo
And Dota-Allstars is a brilliant map to spend the time on:)
Played to much dota, it just aint fun in the long run, need something where you can evolve in skill :p. When i said wc3 i meant ft to, cba with any of them.
Startcraft is ugly, yes i know its a crap argument but played it alot, prefer a game of never date, with bit better gfx.

But guess we will give Generals a go, and maybe look abit more on AoE 3.

Concerning Company of Heroes, its a FPS game, not a RTS, played to much cs to ever play a fps online again, ever.

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
company of heroes is good but the games go on way too long and airstrikes etc have to frequent timers rendering infantry useless ><

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Dawn of War. Company of Heroes sucks (Yes, I played it... Just the uber version of C&C.)

Elftor

Fledgling Freddie
Company of Heroes is quite good..
It's very much a resource management game. It's all about trying to deny your opponent(s) their fuel income to prevent a fast tech to tanks or what not.

The game does punish you for turtling, like Dawn of War did. As Adlatus pointed out, you cant just turtle up, tech and hope to win. However, I find CoH alot more forgiven in terms of losing units, where in Dawn of War you would allways be behind for losing a squad, in Company of Heroes it's alot easier to hold your squads, and even if you lose them it's easy enough to recover.

I bought it to play 2v2 with a mate too, but as it turns out they havnt put in 2vs2 ladder yet - It's coming "soon" however. Untill then it's public 2vs2 games which means you or your opponent will often drop.

Elftor

Fledgling Freddie
Wazkyr said:
Concerning Company of Heroes, its a FPS game, not a RTS, played to much cs to ever play a fps online again, ever.

Oy I just read this, haha...
I think your mixing up COH with Call of Duty because there is not a single FPS element in COH. Unless you consider the fact that you can zoom in on buildings so much that you can see squad members shooting out of the windows from inside the building a FPS!
I just call that rocking gfx :D

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
my suggestion would be to buy a couple of PSXs and some link cables and get some origional red alert going on a 14" tv.

that was THE BEST multiplayer experience i ever had.

Or through computer LAN.

I can't even begin to think of the hours spent on red alert LAN - creating mass armies and defencies and trying to attack in different ways and directions over a 4 hour period.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Wazkyr said:
Startcraft is ugly, yes i know its a crap argument but played it alot, prefer a game of never date, with bit better gfx.
you did say best RTS, not most pretty :p
as mentioned previously by a few people C & C Generals: ZH is ok for a couple hrs , i personally found it extremly dull after the novelty wore off. Not a game i could sit down and spend time getting good at

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Bugz said:
Or through computer LAN.

I can't even begin to think of the hours spent on red alert LAN - creating mass armies and defencies and trying to attack in different ways and directions over a 4 hour period.

thems we're the days!

but tbh, the days i spent on C&C 1 we're just as numerous.

Ah, the age of the supercomputer in the home, them pentium 100/133/166s rocked my world that year.

not too much longer and the voodoo 1 hit the scene as well as half life 1....they we're good times, i could finally get a HDD big enough to install more than 1 game at a time ^^.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Neffneff said:
thems we're the days!

but tbh, the days i spent on C&C 1 we're just as numerous.

Ah, the age of the supercomputer in the home, them pentium 100/133/166s rocked my world that year.

not too much longer and the voodoo 1 hit the scene as well as half life 1....they we're good times, i could finally get a HDD big enough to install more than 1 game at a time ^^.
preferred AVP myself ^^ but it was a beast of a program at the time ><
Remember the aws drop at the minimum spec when diablo 2 was released lol :D

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Rise of Nations (Patriots) but it's the only one I play cos i hate most games :p

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Remember the aws drop at the minimum spec when diablo 2 was released lol :D

lol yeah, i had to upgrade the day diablo2 came out.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Wazkyr said:
so thats not a fps game? I havent tryed it, but looking from the ss it looks like so to me. If its not i cant see the element of eg building base ect? Looks more like getting x nr of units and controling them?
it is a RTS but you are more focused on mini management of troops

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Company of Heroes, that may not last long though as there are several very promising RTS games due in the next 6 months that could take the crown.

CoH is great value for money as well, there are about 20 singleplayer missions and most of them take well over an hour to complete. Then you have a great skirmish mode and a kickass multiplayer, a game well worth buying.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Wazkyr said:
so thats not a fps game? I havent tryed it, but looking from the ss it looks like so to me. If its not i cant see the element of eg building base ect? Looks more like getting x nr of units and controling them?

Full on RTS bud, base building galore.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I highly recommend....

Dawn of war
Age of empires (1 and 2)
Age of Mythology

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom