Best race for minstrel?

S

Smartypants

Tried posting this in the newbie section, but on one ever looks there... And besides, I'm not a newbie... :p

Im thinking about starting a minstrel, but this is the first class where I really can't decide which race to pick. What do you think is the best race for a minstrel? And why?

Thanks
Smart

B

belth

Highlander - more HP than saracen/briton and more STR. Isn't gimped with Thrust either.

O

old.Jimjum

yep, Highlander if u wanna miss more shouts mezzes and styles and hit for and extra 10 dmg..

I

Insurrextion

highlander if u go slash - nice bonus dmg on assasins/archers/mages and a very nice use-anytime style in amethyst slash ... considerably more hps than saracen minstrels

saracen/briton if u go thrust - better for tanks but crappy styles in thrust :p higher dex to evade/hit more but fewer hps

A

Antiarch

Yep its a matter of prefferences so do you :

a) like wearing a skirt ;)?
b) like wearing something on ur head all the time ;p?
c) wanna be cool :p ;p ;:p?

i decided to be cool ;D ;D

O

old.Paranoid

I went scara, and its actually worked really well with thrust,.put some points into constitution and bla bing.. ur there...

I find the + on thrust is very usefull for fighting tanks in RvR.. cos if u ever have to solo one.. a + is always welcome... and if im fighting a stealth class i can whop there arses so eaysily that i dont care about the penalty i get!

D

Danya

Originally posted by Jimjum
yep, Highlander if u wanna miss more shouts mezzes and styles and hit for and extra 10 dmg..

Er in what way does highlander miss shouts and mezzes more than other classes? As for styles, if you use slash then highlanders hit more often due to their higher strength...

anyway I like me skirt :D

I

Insurrextion

i hate mine :( if i could reroll i would do a briton minstrel :p

S

Smartypants

Insurrextion: You mean you have a highlander that you hate, or a saracen?

Im thinking maybe briton, but dont know if I should go for thrust or slash... :rolleyes:

S

Smartypants

OK, the skirt... :) Well I'm used to it, having a level 31 cleric... I have seen many highlander minstrels, but dex is listed as the secondary attribute for a minstrel, and highlanders have crap dex... So how does that work?

B

belth

Originally posted by Smart
OK, the skirt... :) Well I'm used to it, having a level 31 cleric... I have seen many highlander minstrels, but dex is listed as the secondary attribute for a minstrel, and highlanders have crap dex... So how does that work?

Thrust is 50/50 str/dex, so a thrusting highlander minstrel isn't gimped :)

I

Insurrextion

yep now at lvl 50 my dex is a lot higher than my str (i think about 160 dex and about 130 str with items)

still if u decide to go thrust i would suggest briton or saracen - they get a higher cap on their dex which helps out on chance to hit, blocking and evading :)

W

-Wedge-

Well, dunno about shouts being resisted more or less... What I do know is, prepare to miss a LOT as a highlander...

I've got about 166Str and 130Dex with my Armsman, fighting a yellow mob (or lower) isn't a real big problem (you miss a few, you hit a few)...

But if it even starts to con a bit higher, the hurting starts... I'll start to miss more often, even to the point of not being able to hit a red sometimes (if its a mob with high dex)... I mostly notice this when playing in a group without a cleric, I get damaged too much because the Wizard has to wait for me to get Agro...

If I'd had to start a new armsman, it would probably be a briton, higher dex which will definitly pay off... Heck, I'd probably not even start an armsman, but that's besides the point :D

As for a minstrel, I'd go Briton or Saracen (and probably a Briton due to the higher base str and cons)... Pump a few points in charisma and dex and quick...

O

old.Pooky

It should be wether you go slash or thrust.
Slash = Highlander
Thrust = Saracen
Or u can be a Briton and be either one.
Poelpe touting about higher dex being higher evades or missing less is complete bollox to be honest :/. In rvr you wont evade, in pvm youll evade once in a blue moon. Styles give bonus to hit in my case Amy slash so I very rarely ever miss in melee in rvr, except of course to blade turn.

Personally I prefer slash so I went Highlander becuase its bonus to our primary targets rogues/casters and its better in pvm. Sure Bonus to chain middies would be nice but tanks are at bottom of list, and thrust doesnt get a kick ass anytime style like amy.

Most importantly whatever race/damage u choose youll still kick ass.

D

Danya

You do most damage with shouts anyway so missing a couple of sword hits is hardly critical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom