Best program for dummies for website development

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Say I've built a website and I will be letting those with 'less knowledge of I.T' to use it, update it etc. what would be the best program for this?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Dependant on how you've created your website.....Access? I know it's the microsoft demon but tbh, it's still quite easy to use for basic functions. Without more information, can't really say a lot else.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Chances are it will be built in dream weaver, using coral draw and other graphic programs to create the appropriate graphics for it.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Okay, in all honesty, I'm god awful at html so will await someonelse to say if you can import access databases on the fly to display information using html.

Should know that really but I avoid it where possible :D

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
DreamWeaver CS3/CS4
Adobe PhotoShop CS3/CS4
Adobe FireWorks CS3/CS4.

Dreamweaver for updating content, other two for pretty things.

Can use PHP etc if you wanna get databases running (but then you either need to get access or SQL running too)

*Is currently doing this module and is hating it*

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Wouldn't have said Fireworks is really needed with Photoshop, but not so sure. Done all of my website in dreamweaver alone and its pretty easy to update.

Didn't microsoft do Frontpage or something? Thought that was the 'cheap 'n cheerful MS package' thing.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
You could look into Contribute. Made by Adobe as well. My dad was singing its praises a few years back. His web developer wasn't so keen though :p

Any site I've done that has content uploaded by other people I've made an online submitting thing - storing their work in a database and stuff. Letting a non web developer loose on my websites never ended well.

Tiani

Fledgling Freddie
Depends what you are doing

A combination of notepad, dreamweaver, photoshop, illustrator and Indesign is what I used to use when I built and maintained websites at my old job

Syri

FH is my second home
It all depends really on the site's purpose really, and the hosting you have access to.
If it's going to be built by someone with a lot of know-how, but updated by those without later, php or asp (prefer php myself though) would allow you to make a nice easy framework, and an admin area that makes it friendly for changing and adding stuff. there's a few ready made content management packages out there that can do a lot of it for you aswell, though I prefer writing my own myself, just cause I like working with code.
If you've not got access to something like php, or don't want to write a system like that, I'd recommend Dreamweaver. It's an easy to use package, it's got a code view with syntax highlighting and auto complete for tags, so it's nice and easy even if you jump in to the code side. The code it's wysiwyg side generates isn't TOO bad aswell, though nowhere near as good as handwritten code could be for optimisation and such.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Just a thought, but wouldn't it be better to use some sort of easy to use CMS for this, Joomla or that sort of thing? Pretty fool proof for others to use, and you can simply make a nice looking template for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom