best IRC app?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
my tux box is down with a dead hd, so i am looking for a good irc app for win xp,

ive not used irc app on windows for some time now is mirc still king? or is there somat better out?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I still use Mirc...works just fine for me.
Tried to use others but they seem to try and be a bit to clever for my liking.

I like software thats quick and easy to use and easy to setup...MIrc all the way!

G

for gods sake dys, what have you done, all the uber 1337 people will be having a go at you now, they all use bitchx or some other uber 1337 app for their irc chatness.

but as you said, fuck all wrong with MIrc.......

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
mIRC with NoNameScript is my preferred choice as it lets you do all the QuakeNet auth stuff and isn't overloaded with unnecessary shite.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I used to use mIRC with noname but cant even be bothered with that any more, I just use regular standard mIRC.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing wrong with mirc. Precompiled Xchat for windows is shareware, but is free for linux (hoho) - though the source is freely available so if you care to compile it yourself, it is free!. DMDirc is alright and seems to be in active development aswell.

Kryten

Old Cow.
mIRC is still by far the most used, in it's plain and modified/scripted form. As MysticG says, NNScript is one of the more common scripts (however very, very buggy and full of security issues including the Quakenet auth system, which has itself changed anyway). But it *works*.
Xchat is also very good for the same purpose.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
I still use Mirc...works just fine for me.
Tried to use others but they seem to try and be a bit to clever for my liking.

I like software thats quick and easy to use and easy to setup...MIrc all the way!

Yup, same here, been using mIRC since I got on the internet and still am.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
however very, very buggy and full of security issues
Examples please, I only use it for convenience and that obviously takes lower priority over security.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Most the issues were eventually sorted out, Mystic - i.e. the Q auth script wasn't discriminative against the network it blindly messaged your password to, and even to this day it has a few holes in it that are easily bypassed by someone with the right tools.
The main security issue is half user based (requires someone to be daft enough to click a link etc) and similar to standard mIRC exploits in it executing code remotely. Basically it's like putting your password in perform.ini in standard mIRC - perfectly safe unless you let your guard down and click one nasty link. And such worms/nasties don't give two hoots about whatever level of firewall you're using - if mIRC is getting through, so will the nasty.
This is generally mIRC as well as NNScript, so it's probably not as bad as I make out - however from Quakenet Staff POV in the past, it was soley responsible for lot's of people losing their auth details. That may or may not have been fixed, I've not been on IRC for what feels like an age ;)

I know I'm a stalwart with mIRC but I can't stress the importance of security enough.

Generally, MysticG, you're not going to be entirely affected by any security issue above as you'd need to be fairly daft to open yourself up to issues - no more so than mIRC on it's own. So don't worry :)

(Bulk of the problems I mentioned from Quakenet's POV were down to user stupidity too, and I'm not sure it's possible for software to fix that. But if it was possible, I'd do it, and I'd be rich! ;) )

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Is PnP script still around? Back when I used irc that was pretty solid.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Still in use but it hasn't been developed any further than it was back then.
Version 4.22 or something, unless memory fails me.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Is PnP script still around? Back when I used irc that was pretty solid.
I used to use that as well, but it died off a long time ago from what I remember. I've used NoName since. Thanks for the heads up Kryt, I wasn't so much worried, just curious if you knew something that I didn't. Just waiting for the next point release of NoName to address the changes with Q auth due to the new Q release!

Might even register mIRC at some point as the startup box is annoying me now, Khaled is ugly!

Draylor

Part of the furniture
So is having a dislike for mIRC not allowed around here now?

Oddly amusing that someone decides to remove a handful of posts pointing out that its a steaming pile of crap.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If mIRC isn't any good, suggest an alternative and make a positive contribution Draylor. The posts between you and brooky are of no use to anyone and have been removed as a consequence.

Basically, if you're gonna help Yaka then fine. If not, go start a thread about why mIRC is shit and invite comment on that thread.

PS: Nath - Welcome to the Official Peace and Protection website.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
zomg peace and protection! even I've used that o0

Yaka

Part of the furniture
right well will tryy latest morc and noname script then.

oh btw does it still allow you to use if thay activation times has passed?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
oh btw does it still allow you to use if thay activation times has passed?
Yup, but you can pay to get rid of a nagscreen if you are too stupid to find a serial on any of the fine websites listed on your local search engine.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Id agree gunz, but someone would prob delete that post too.

Random mIRC Easter egg: click Khaled's nose on the help/about screen ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom