Best Gaming OS

T

Teh Krypt

Ok, try and back this up with evidence. Not "imo" :p. I want to try and get some facts :).

Also the best all round OS.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

DOS 7.1...in all the years I used it I never had one single crash. EVER.

T

the_smurflord

Been very happy with Red Hat 9.0 so far, so much less buggy than 8.0 and almost ready to be a serious contender for windows on the desktop level. Red Hat 10.0 could be a really big threat to MS.

K

klavrynd

w2k imo :p

ps : debian > redhat (can you say dependency problem)

O

old.shotgunstow

Originally posted by klavrynd
w2k imo :p

ps : debian > redhat (can you say dependency problem)

win 2k is in no way a gaming OS. I'd say Windows XP, because for me it's been reliable as 2k, has 1/3 the startup time, and 3x the performance as far as FPS games are concerned.

O

osy

If the games you are trying to play do ok with _only_ 512 ram, then i have to say 98SE. Less memory needed for the actual OS, more for the game. Resource wise, if you wish.

T

Teh Krypt

Originally posted by old.shotgunstow
win 2k is in no way a gaming OS. I'd say Windows XP, because for me it's been reliable as 2k, has 1/3 the startup time, and 3x the performance as far as FPS games are concerned.

Well lots of games mags have done tests and found win 2k to perform better then xp

K

klavrynd

who cares about start up time if you dont need to start up every x minutes?

2k has proven itself totally stable here and i havent got a single crash in the approx 2 years i'm running it

i'd rather die then installing xp
- crayola looks
- hi ! i just found a network card and i installed 27 protocols, gave you an ip address, made a mail account and configured your internet settings, oh, and there's nothing you can do about it becuase i'm very good at hiding settings

S

SilverHood

Win2k pro

Had ME on it... was "ok" game wise, but utterly shite for crashes, etc

Then I went back to win98... better than WinME, still unstable, but "ok" for games, lots of errors

WinXP - not enough user input.... doing something simpy take to long when customising... Games wise, I suppose its pretty decent (my brother has it on his pc), but I can't stand it. Pretty stable... most of the time. Good fps in most games, both D3D and OpenGL, this OS is nice for n00bs. Has nice startup time too.

Win2k
Allows you to customise everything about the pc setup... im sure XP does as well, but it takes forver to get anywhere...
Game wise, only problem I have ever had, is with the Unreal engines while running Direct3D... slow FPS... still, OpenGL looks better, and gives better FPS... and is very stable.... never had blue screen of death (2 years of running win2k)... Win2k is for me :)

both XP and Win2k will do nicely for gaming... but I run a network (5 pc's atm), so I need some security, and I don't trust XP :)

O

old.job

WIN98, cos XP (pro hacked) won't load on this machine, god knows why?

I loaded it on old machine and fruckin hated it, the screen flickered badly no matter what I did, it did everything that I didn't want it to do and wouldn't do what I did want it to do.

98 loads real quick if you skip all the BIOS crap, but you have to hack it to work on a processor above 2.2.

My old 33mhz 286 loaded 3.1 faster than my 2.6 loads 98 though.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but why do we run windows at all?
Surely all this direct-x/vid driver stuff should be in the game why doesn't windows just fuck off when you're playing a game and give you back the half of the resources it pinches just to show you a desktop!!!

P

[PS]Venom

I've tried everything under the sun and prefer XP to be honest.

I happen to like the crayola look :(

B

Belsameth

Win XP for me too.
runs fast and stable...without too much hassle..

M

Midgardian

Win XP.

Half the time, its not the OS thats the problem, its the Way its installed.

Never trust a Default Factory Shipping.

Trash it..reload it..and do it yourself

J

Jiggs

win xp

the networking was alot easier then on win2k

ok it took me a long time to get CS working on it, but most stuff runs better under xp once you have it set up right in my experience.

N

-Nxs-

Personaly..

XP for your main daily use PC, unfortunatly it has to be a windows platform these days, specificaly for the games and standard apps used around the world. XP seams to load and operate much quicker then Windows 2000, proved several times on several differeny machines - try to stick to the built in drivers and you shouldnt have a problem - only changed the nVidia driver here.

for a server, its gota be RedHat9 purely as its the most common linux dist, theres loads of support out there and it makes a mean internet/web/firewall box

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom