Battlegrounds rock!

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
So i finally got to try the Warsong battleground now at 6am after wold server beeing down most of the night ^^

First impression is that its great fun, and i can only imagine what the more elaborate Alterac battleground is like :)

The concept is great in its simplicity - somewhat balanced teams (very balanced in the test since everyone has same gear and level etc), with goals, and then duke it out in an instance. Plenty of room for tactics and most classes seem to have a role they can fullfill - shamans and warlocks make great guards with felhunter and totems up etc. Fast paced and fun :) Cant wait until this shows up on the live servers :D

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
wooohooo, 3k people in queue, 1.5 hours waiting time and that at 11 am :p

Mithradir

Loyal Freddie
i managed to play today and it seems that they made a very nice job. I find the idea of flag capture uber (bf fun :p) and at last we shall see some strategy on pvp :)
I hope though not to have the lag that there is on the test server. i was playing with 500-700 ping (5+ sec delay).

Robin the Brave

One of Freddy's beloved
Fana said:
i can only imagine what the more elaborate Alterac battleground is like :)

Its like the hillsbrad zerg, completly pointless and boring ;p, warsong is great though.. will be even better without the test server lag :x

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Robin the Brave said:
Its like the hillsbrad zerg, completly pointless and boring ;p, warsong is great though.. will be even better without the test server lag :x

yeah, atm alterac is a casters and hunters wet dreams.. everyone stands in a long line and just throw stuff at eachother and any tank that comes to close gets vaporized in about 2 seconds. and warsong, well, u can argue about the "need some tactics". aslong as u have 2-3 ppl defending the flag there isnt to much problems. unles the other side completly abandon their flag and rush the opponent.

the major grief i have atm is that theres ppl that acually logs off or ports out from the BG while they have the flag. making that flag bugged and the game cant end. or the flag just falls through the world when it gets dropped and gets bugged that way insted.

Robot

Fledgling Freddie
I have to say from what ive heard battle grounds is a huge improvement on the current pvp system. Which is nice, because the honor system atm can get a bit zzzzzzzzzzzz. The whole capture the flag thing has always been fun on previous games ive played online and hope i enjoy it as much on wow.

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
How are the maps? Full of interesting tactical features or bland like the old Daoc Emain map?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Iceflower said:
How are the maps? Full of interesting tactical features or bland like the old Daoc Emain map?

Alterac has tons of special features with tactical significance, like mines, towers, graveyards, bridges, quests, summoned cavalry etc.

Warsong is smipler. It has the flags, placed in each factions starting fortress, with some different routes to them and an open field with some low cover in the middle. Only npc in the whole bg is the ghost that resses you.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
the 1 problem i can see with the smaller bgs. like warsong which is a 10man limit per side... is that unless ur a pre made grp ur gonna have no chance. the 3times alliance won in there with me is when everybody actually got into 1 raid grp and did designated jobs and actually talked to each other. altho this would end in the instance being bugged when alliance wins :( i think its some sort of attempt at blizzard to make us lose.
also im sure the normal servers will be exactley the same sa the test server and warsong will be populated almost entirely by shamans mages druids and rogues. just chain stunning/shocking/freezing/rooting any1. altho i have now made a huge stockpile of FAPs on my warrior just for this reason.

but all in all i think BG seem like they are going to be alot of fun. i just wish every1 could get automatic lvl 60s. love every1 who made a mage because they heard they were uber and had no idea how to play them. i won 15/15duels against them. either im hugely skillful or they are amazingly poop. im thinking the later :(

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Serious.. imo BG destroyed WoW's PvP... I can't see any point to join Alterac Valley .. Zerg, AoE and Range is all that matters there. And you won't even get near the Contribution Points you can get in Warsong Gulch with a good group.

Yeah, you need a good group in Warsong Gulch.. you will probably meet some "elite" PvP guild as your enemy in Warsong.

So even if I play 24/7 in Alterac Valley farming CP's etc etc.. I will probably never become higher than rank 7-8 because people are farming Warsong Gulch CTF with optimized groups getting several thousand CP's / hour. And you don't even have to kill anyone to do it.. just grab that flag 3 times and you will have 1660 CP.. it takes less than 5min if your enemies sucks.

1660 CP's is like 8-10 solo kills.. and 30+ if you are in a group of 5. It's totally insane imo...

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
Urme the Legend said:
Serious.. imo BG destroyed WoW's PvP... I can't see any point to join Alterac Valley .. Zerg, AoE and Range is all that matters there. And you won't even get near the Contribution Points you can get in Warsong Gulch with a good group.

Yeah, you need a good group in Warsong Gulch.. you will probably meet some "elite" PvP guild as your enemy in Warsong.

So even if I play 24/7 in Alterac Valley farming CP's etc etc.. I will probably never become higher than rank 7-8 because people are farming Warsong Gulch CTF with optimized groups getting several thousand CP's / hour. And you don't even have to kill anyone to do it.. just grab that flag 3 times and you will have 1660 CP.. it takes less than 5min if your enemies sucks.

1660 CP's is like 8-10 solo kills.. and 30+ if you are in a group of 5. It's totally insane imo...

I couldn't agree more tbh.

*Could you pass me a buff and invite me to the group please?*
-Dude, do I look like your little slave? FU!

*You are using your Hearthstone.

And no, you can't beat yourself through two shamans spamming totems at their flag, as a Rogue. :<

Zapsi

Fledgling Freddie
Urme the Legend said:

Now the problem we have ,the alliance see we in there with our set team and they all port out, that leaves us 5 min to take all 3 flags to get points and an other 1½ hour waiting for next. Now this isnt very fun But fuck hell join alone on a priest is nightmare.

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
I like it, in the 41-50 warsong gulch everyone is a random in both teams so you are not running the risk of playing against gg's. Don't really know about the 51-60 bg, i imagine it's more complicated due to the existance of level 60's with uber gear in it. So far though, in the 41-50 bg it's 8-0 for the Horde, i think i will end up with more cp's than some higher level alliance people :p

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Lakashnik said:
the 1 problem i can see with the smaller bgs. like warsong which is a 10man limit per side... is that unless ur a pre made grp ur gonna have no chance. the 3times alliance won in there with me is when everybody actually got into 1 raid grp and did designated jobs and actually talked to each other. altho this would end in the instance being bugged when alliance wins :( i think its some sort of attempt at blizzard to make us lose.
also im sure the normal servers will be exactley the same sa the test server and warsong will be populated almost entirely by shamans mages druids and rogues. just chain stunning/shocking/freezing/rooting any1. altho i have now made a huge stockpile of FAPs on my warrior just for this reason.

but all in all i think BG seem like they are going to be alot of fun. i just wish every1 could get automatic lvl 60s. love every1 who made a mage because they heard they were uber and had no idea how to play them. i won 15/15duels against them. either im hugely skillful or they are amazingly poop. im thinking the later :(

My biggest gripe with the BG's, especially alterac, is how they penalise mana based classes without a way to regen mana other than drinking. There's little point in drinking when I can suicide and be back with full health 10 seconds later.
Warriors and rogues are like duracell bunnies, they keep on going and going and going and going as long as they have life in their bodies. A quick bandage and they're away. I need to first of all leave combat, stupidly hard due to that fucking bug. Then sit down and drink for 30 seconds. 30 seconds!

Which brings me onto this point...

I need 70% health and 2500 mana to beat a decent rouge, most of the time in the BG, I don't have that, so I die. Fear won't save me, they can always sprint to catch up. When I play in a group, I'm usually the healer. Yet no one heals me... I'm just expected to die and run back. It's not the groups fault, nothing can help me when I got 3 rogues beating on my ass.
Hence, I've gone back to shadowform soloing, simply because I play to have fun, and getting chain ganked by rogues ins't fun.

The worst of it is, that when I do manage to heal the guys I usually play with, we push the alliance back due to warriors charging in & fearing, and then keeping the zerg busy while I spam heals until they can get out of range. In the meanwhile, our zerg has pounced enough to push them back. So by not doing my bit for the team, we usually get pushed back.

If only there was a 20 man BG where you could use real tactics instead of zerging.

rynnor

Rockhound
I stuck my mage at 50 for the bgs - changed over to full ice spec - its fantastic - there arent any guild groups so its random v random - not had a game yet where i got there from the start that we didnt win.

Ice spec is perfect for stopping pursuit when protecting the flag carrier or for taking out enemy runner whose made it out of base.

I tend to stay midfield with the occasional attack run - I score in pretty much every other game but I see my primary role protecting our flag bearer and stopping theirs - if ours dies then ill grab flag n blink to the goal.

With full ice spec my blizzards give 75% snare as well as rooting a fair bit - cone of cold for over 700 dam is nice too (from shatter and increased crit value talents) and with cold snap you always have a frost nova/cone of cold combo ready to stop runners or pursuers.

Ice barrier is handy if im legging it for home with the flag and ice block for purging dots etc (though you cant do it if you have the flag or you drop it).

I still see alliance mounting up and consequently dropping the flag which is sweet :)

Have yet to see another ice mage in bg though which is kinda odd...

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Bibi said:
Remove stealth from game instead.

Agreed, to many rogues who think they are good just because they can ambush you on 30% hp with their unbalanced 45% crit talent. xD

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
Agreed, to many rogues who think they are good just because they can ambush you on 30% hp with their unbalanced 45% crit talent. xD

ahh another cloth wearer who gets twatted by rogues

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
just reading an earlier post, imo Blizz should make mages drop the flag if they use blink

Jimmeh

Fledgling Freddie
Changing form should drop the flag too imo, also being unable to interact with the flag while shapeshifted would be good. There also needs to be some way to make hunter speed less useful when they have the flag. I find too many druids/shammys and even hunters just run in and grab the flag. Pre 40 this its then hard to catch them as you cant even mount up to get them. Though as a warrior (level 45) i dont have too much trouble mounting up and charging/intercepting and hamstringing the flag carrier until they die.

Another problem i feel is hunters using feint death while they have the flag. The flag is not displayed while the hunter is 'dead'. also they can wait till hamstring/snare has faded and start running again meaning if im not paying full attention they out run me. Ive also seen plenty of people be tricked by this and run away to find other people to kill (which is kind of amusing watching 5 people leaving a half hp hunter lying on the ground with the flag just outside the horde base). Can any1 tell me if there is a limit to the ammount of time you can fake death without coming alive again?

As a level 45 elf warrior ive found my only real problem (except +4/5 level people) is mages. I just cant seem to get enough damage on them before they frost nova me and run off to nuke me to death. If i survive that they tend to use every insta they have on me and escape just out of execute hp range.

I really like Warsong gulch but as im on Bloodhoof (alliance) our population is far greater than that of the horde. Can wait hours to get a game and find its 10 v 1-5 and the game ends after 5 mins due to a lack of players. And even if the game doesnt end due to a lack of players, we often find there isnt even 10 horde players on the other team. Always is 10 alliance players though.

Spankya

Fledgling Freddie
Have to agree with Jim, the classes with speed have it far too easy to get away with the flag. And feign death is a pain too, although it last at most 5 or 6 minutes I believe.

Bloodhoof is indeed a crap place to do BG's as alliance, outnumber the horde drastically, so sometimes we have to wait for ages to get into the BG(1-2.5 hours). After waiting all that time we sometimes just get a message saying there arent enough players and we get kicked out after 5 mins... Very annoying when you have waited for hours to get in.

But overall, when there are enough players, its great fun :)

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
hehe BG's sound great!

but just wondering, doesnt every class have some form of range? apart from pally :p so why cant u use your range to stop the hunters speed which then leaves them dazed for a few seconds? or charge them etc? or does charge etc not work on hunters?

imo theres alot of speed boost items to help you out, i mean hunters can use range, warriors charge and hamstring, rogues can sprint and probably stun etc to slow/stop them down until others come to help <Shrug> i dunno tbh just theres speed in both realms so they shouldnt "fix" it tho ofc i havent played bg's yet (waiting till i get back to wow when i get my fucking comp :()

Lubbock

Fledgling Freddie
Aye battlegrounds are frigging fun had a 2 hour fight in Warsong earlier today, once the novelty of the battlegrounds wear off we can cut down on the quoues also will be great ;)

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
i had my first encounter in warsong gulch last night/this morning and tbh i found it quite fun, first match we lost, the second we won and the third... must have lasted at least 1 1/2 hours but eventually we lost 3-2

i think the longest i queued was 5 mins.. 10 minutes max

Ralgedi Smurf

One of Freddy's beloved
Bgs sucks bigtime imo, AV is pure zerg fight and lots of shit npc's mobs who ruin the bit fun u can have there, the small bg could be fun, but when you try to join with a group of 10 you have to wait up to 3hours or even more and when you finally get in you wipe the other team in less then 30 mins often far faster.

nahh give a battleground that aint an instance with some "emain" style group/solo pvp :)

and for god sake remove allmost all mobs from zone ^^

atm i find the far best pvp at BRM but its getting less since bg's :(

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Ralgedi Smurf said:
Bgs sucks bigtime imo, AV is pure zerg fight and lots of shit npc's mobs who ruin the bit fun u can have there, the small bg could be fun, but when you try to join with a group of 10 you have to wait up to 3hours or even more and when you finally get in you wipe the other team in less then 30 mins often far faster.

nahh give a battleground that aint an instance with some "emain" style group/solo pvp :)

and for god sake remove allmost all mobs from zone ^^

atm i find the far best pvp at BRM but its getting less since bg's :(

/signed ! exactly my thoughts about the BG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom