Bastards As Heroes

R

Roo Stercogburn

Yep, its time to get the coffee out. Here we go...

I've been thinking about the nature of anti-heroes. What is it that attracts us to these characters. Everyone loves a rollicking good bastard, at least in fiction anyway.

Is it the complete freedom they seem to enjoy to be as horrible they want, which we all wish we could be from time to time. Is it because we want to see the bad guy turn good in a feelgood kind of way, a kind of affirmation of the inner good that we hope is in everyone now matter how degenerate.

For example, in The Gap series of books, Angus Thermopyle is possibly one of the best anti-heroes ever written. He really is quite a horrible person but by the end of the series we are really rooting for him yet he's a rapist, murderer and thoroughly brutal. A milder form of this can be seen in The Stainless Steel Rat, where Jim DiGriz is a thief who ends up working for the cops. He falls into the lovable rogue catagory more, but its the same principle. Both of these characters were forced to do good outside of their will, and whether they'd ever had done any good by themselves is questionable, even by the end of the stories.

Look at your average soap opera, and everyone raves about the current Bitch or Bad Guy whoever it happens to be. Also, The Sopranos is one of the best received TV series in years and yet its full of really nasty people doing really nasty things to each other each episode.

Is it because these types of people actually do something interesting and are unpredictable so you never know what will happen next? I've wondered if its some kind of subconcious release, a way of getting things out of your system that might otherwise bottle up and build within you.

Definately one of the things that attracts people is the intrinsic danger surrounding anti-heroes. Look at Avon in Blake's 7. He was a thorough git. You always knew he would come through for the team, but there was just enough doubt to make it interesting and he was always openly reluctant to do good.

I think its also partly its to do with rebelling against the system. Typically, anti-heroes go head to head with authority and people love to see the system challenged, or even outright overthrown as a vent for their own frustrations.

And of course one of the big things about anti-heroes is they LOVE being bad. Oh yes. You don't just save the good guys. You utterly destroy your enemies and grind them into the ground. Lip curling and sneers that rock stars would die for are absolutely the order of the day. Associates of the Anti-Hero look on in disgust while benefitting from the help they get, which usually gives them a chance to moralise and navel gaze.

A common trick with anti-heroes I've noticed is to make them greatly charismatic: even while they are being horrible to people we are laughing our socks off and are gradually won over.

Where this relates to DAoC is Roo's background story and its partly the final days of Nyd that started me thinking about all this. To have a good char background, we all invent some pretty horrible things to have happened to get your char to the stage he is at where you start adventuring with him/her. Now, for someone who drains the life out of others and raises the dead, we're probably not talking a Brady Bunch upbringing.

Typically roleplayers are fond of the orphaned at birth/doesn't know family background/lost memories/secretly is a king etc. I'm only gently poking fun here, because these mechanisms are a great way to quickly get a char up and running and build it as you go without having to spend ages making a complex backstory. I didn't want this with Roo but I decided I had to make him pretty nasty just to have got through his early years. So, we have a father who was a warrior who was betrayed then killed by a dragon and summoned again as 'Junior', but to do this Roo ends up with a debt to Hel and reluctantly grows to work for Midgard. He can't attend the temples because someone is after him so dump him into the big city to pretty much fend for himself doing errands for a tailor and secretly learning the arts. Throw in a Hibernian mother who has to hide as a witch in Vanern, make him part of a ruthless council protecting Midgard from werewolves who's biggest secret is that they are all werewolves themselves and you've got someone who's pretty messed up i.e. a great place to start.

Now, even in-game, I'm only a part-time roleplayer. I like to chill out, have a couple (or more ;)) beers, go stomp Ye Hated Enemies and have a thoroughly barking time. I've deliberately hardly ever roleplayed Roo (though have more with alts), because its very difficult to walk the line between roleplaying a git, and just annoying people. Last night in Nyd, I intended to just be simply horrible, but more and more people were joining the guild to say goodbye it just wasn't possible. Not enough were in on it so it would just be offensive. (A few amusing things happening out of game while all that going on too and some of my best sneers got spoiled, but thats another story).

I'm sure roleplayers the world over have had this problem in online games. Its not a problem in the paper 'n' dice versions because everyone is in on it, but in MMORPGs too many people don't know you well enough and would simply stomp off.
I think people have to 'know you don't mean it' and be willing to play along. Anti-heroes in fiction generally have some kind of hold over the people they are with which forces them together. In an online game, no such mechanism exists and people vote with their feet as soon as they think they are being treated badly.

The upshot of all this is I've discovered that its VERY difficult, though fun, to roleplay a complete bastard online.

Everyone likes a git, but only when he or she is being a git elsewhere ;)

T

tasllehoff

Even tho u make the longest posts of them all and my eyes hurt after i read it :D , i think it was a really good thread :) .... Agreeing totally with that part of roleplaying. I remember some peoples in a guild i was once in, sending me various pm' s about that i was annoying. Also played a really annoying role :] ... now i tend not to roleplay anymore since u annoy more peoples than enjoys it mostly ..

A

Arnor

just woke up, will read it later, but:

Its good to be bad

C

Coren

Saw the thread title and thought this was about Derric. :(

O

Old Nicodemus

And then you have Ayam.

Who meant...

every..

single..

damn...

word.

And we still loved him for it! ;)

C

Cyradix

Top 50 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became an Evil Overlord

Important message for everyone who is interested in world
domination...

1. My Legions of Terror will have helmets with clear plexiglass
visors, not face-concealing ones.

2. My ventilation ducts will be too small to crawl through.

3. My noble half-brother, whose throne I usurped, will be killed, not
kept anonymously imprisoned in a forgotten cell of my dungeon.

4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.

5. The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on
the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the
Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. (The same
applies to the object that is my one weakness.)

6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

7. When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill
me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No,"
and shoot him. No, on second thoughts, I'll shoot him and then say
"No."

8. I will not include a self-destruct mechanism unless absolutely
necessary. If it is necessary, it will not be a big red button
labelled
"DANGER: DO NOT PUSH". The big red button marked "DO NOT PUSH" will
instead trigger a spray of bullets on anyone stupid enough to disregard
it. Similarly, the ON/OFF switch will not be clearly labeled as such.

9. All slain enemies will be cremated, or at least have several rounds
of ammunition emptied into them - not left for dead at the bottom of
the cliff.

10. The hero is not entitled to a last kiss, a last cigarette, or any
other last request.

11. I will never employ any device with a digital countdown. If I find
that such a device is absolutely unavoidable, I will set it to
activate when the counter reaches 117 and the hero is just putting his
plan into operation.

12. I will never utter the sentence, "Before I kill you, there's just
one thing I want to know."

13. When I employ people as advisers, I will occasionally listen to
their advice. One of my advisers will be an average five-year-old
child. Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected
before implementation.

14. Despite its proven stress-relieving effect, I will not indulge in
maniacal laughter. When so occupied, it's too easy to miss unexpected
developments that a more attentive individual could adjust to
accordingly.

15. I will hire a talented fashion designer to create original
uniforms for my Legions of Terror, as opposed to some cheap knock-offs
that make them look like Nazi storm troopers, Roman foot soldiers or
savage Mongol hordes. All were eventually defeated and I want my
troops to have a more positive mindset.

16. I will keep a special cache of low-tech weapons and train my
troops in their use. That way, even if the heroes manage to neutralize
my power generator or render the standard-issue energy weapons
useless, my troops will not be overrun by a handful of savages armed
with spears and rocks.

17. No matter how well it would perform, I will never construct any
sort of machinery that is completely indestructible except for one
small and virtually inaccessible vulnerable spot.

18. I will never build only one of anything important. All important
systems will have redundant control panels and power supplies. For the
same reason I will always carry at least two fully loaded weapons at
all times.

19. My pet monster will be kept in a secure cage from which it cannot
escape and into which I could not accidentally stumble.

20. I will dress in bright and cheery colors and so throw my enemies
into confusion.

21. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, talentless bards and
cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My
foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no
source of comic relief.

22. I will not fly into a rage and kill a messenger who brings me bad
news just to illustrate how evil I really am. Good messengers are hard
to come by.

23. I will not turn into a snake. It never helps.

24. If I absolutely must ride into battle, I will certainly not ride
at the forefront of my Legions of Terror, nor will I seek out my
opposite number among his army.

25. When I capture the hero, I will make sure I also get his dog,
monkey, ferret or whatever sickeningly cute little animal capable of
untying ropes and filching keys happens to follow him around.

26. If I learn the whereabouts of the one artifact that can destroy
me, I will not send all my troops out to seize it. Instead I will send
them out to seize something else and quietly put a Want-Ad in the
local paper.

27. I will hire a team of board-certified architects and surveyors to
examine my castle and inform me of any secret passages and abandoned
tunnels that I might not know about.

28. If the beautiful princess that I capture says, "I'll never marry
you! Never, do you hear me, NEVER!!!" I will say, "Oh well" and kill
her.

29. My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any
who cannot hit a man-sized target at ten meters will be used for
target practice.

30. Before employing any captured artifacts or machinery, I will
carefully read the owner's manual.

31. If it becomes necessary to escape, I will never stop to pose
dramatically and toss off a one-liner.

32. I will never build a sentient computer smarter than I am.

33. I will see a competent psychiatrist and get cured of all extremely
unusual phobias and bizarre compulsive habits that could prove to be a
disadvantage.

34. When my guards split up to search for intruders, they will always
travel in groups of at least two. They will be trained so that if one
of them disappears mysteriously while on patrol, the other will
immediately initiate an alert and call for backup instead of
quizzically peering round a corner.

35. I will instruct my Legions of Terror to attack the hero en masse
instead of standing around waiting while members break off and attack
him one or two at a time.

36. If the hero runs up to my roof, I will not run up after him and
struggle with him in an attempt to push him over the edge. I will also
not engage him at the edge of a cliff. (In the middle of a rope-bridge
over a river of molten lava is not even worth considering.)

37. If I am fighting with the hero atop a moving platform, have
disarmed him and am about to finish him off, and he glances behind me
and drops flat, I too will drop flat instead of quizzically turning
round to find out what he saw.

38. I will not shoot at any of my enemies if they are standing in
front of the crucial support beam to a heavy, dangerous, unbalanced
structure.

39. If I'm eating dinner with the hero, put poison in his goblet, then
have to leave the table for any reason, I will order new drinks for
both of us instead of trying to decide whether or to switch with him.

40. I will not have captives of one sex guarded by members of opposite
sex.

41. I will not use any plan in which the final step is horribly
complicated, e.g. "Align the twelve stones of power on the sacred
altar then activate the medallion at the moment of total eclipse."
Instead it will be more along the lines of "Push the button."

42. My vats of hazardous chemicals will be covered when not in use.
Also, I will not construct walkways above them.

43. If a group of henchmen fail miserably at a task, I will not berate
them for incompetence and then send the same group out to try the task
again.

44. I will not design my Main Control Room so that every workstation
is facing away from the door.

45. If I decide to hold a double execution of the hero and an
underling who failed or betrayed me, I will see to it that the hero is
scheduled to go first.

46. When arresting prisoners, my guards will not allow them to stop
and grab a useless trinket of purely sentimental value.

47. My dungeon will have its own qualified medical staff complete with
bodyguards so that if a prisoner becomes sick and his cellmate tells
the guard it's an emergency, the guard will fetch a trauma team
instead of opening up the cell for a look.

48. My dungeon cells will not be furnished with objects that contain
reflective surfaces or anything that can be unravelled.

49. Any data file of crucial importance will be padded to 1.45 MB in
size.

50. Finally, to keep my subjects permanently locked in a mindless
trance, I will provide each of them with free unlimited Internet
access.

F

Flimgoblin

hrm not sure I'd agree with the definition of anti-hero... they all sound like "Lovable rogues" and they're certainly not your normal heros...

I always thought anti-heros were the ones that didn't show any heroic attributes whatsoever - the guy in Death of a Salesman... he's just a poor old bloke who's been shat on by the world. He's not heroic, he's not charming, he's just pitiful.

But that's just semantics anyway :)

playing an evil character without just being an arsehole in game is very difficult... especially in daoc where roleplaying is rare. Also the ability to do 'nasty' in character things (like murder, or steal or whatever) is much reduced on the normal servers. It might work better on PvP though.

You can still roleplay some interesting things though - roleplay a complete coward :) could be funny

P

parisienscot

Roo babes, what is "Nyd" I have no idea what you are on about!

Nice post apart from that ;)

O

Old Nicodemus

Originally posted by Flimgoblin

You can still roleplay some interesting things though - roleplay a complete coward :) could be funny

You should speak to a chap called Hound. Runs at the drop of a hat.. and roleplays his character like shaggy and scoobydoo.

His best line is.. "I'm not a coward.. I'm just tactically aware!"

Does make for interesting hunts. ;)

N

Nichneven

I can't bring myself to be nasty with people, even in game and even if the albs are being cheap, pharming bastards in bg0

:p

I'm too much of a softie

R

Roo Stercogburn

The challenge in these types of chars from a roleplaying perspective is how can you work out the logic of making them contribute to the team, yet still keeping them in character with their own goals and agenda.

I'm not talking about being casually nasty to someone because you've had a bad day in real life or something like that, but rather the complexities of characters that for example don't want to help
others but find themselves forced to based on mutual need or other external factors.

Thinking on what Flim posted, I agree I've over used the words 'Anti-hero' when mostly I'm referring to various degrees of nasty people. However, in the case of the likes of Angus Thermopyle and a few others, these are definately anti-heroes: really horrible people who have to be twisted by others to do anything good(In Angus's case, that means Zone Implants into his brain).

F

Flimgoblin

cool :) my idea of "anti-hero" could be way off base too :) I'm probably being far too narrow in my definition anyway.

My favourite character so far has been my cannibal skald on Camlann :) but you're allowed to be evil over there so it's so much easier...

C

Cyradix

RPing a "bad" person in DAoC lacks something. Can't really describe it. Some sort of feeling...

That's the only part I miss about UO ;)

D

Driwen

Originally posted by Old Nicodemus
You should speak to a chap called Hound. Runs at the drop of a hat.. and roleplays his character like shaggy and scoobydoo.

His best line is.. "I'm not a coward.. I'm just tactically aware!"

Does make for interesting hunts. ;)

it beats the every time herioc person, who charges into the dragon and wipes out his whole group ;).

M

Mardukk

This s an interesting post that one u did , I hope to have time to read all opinions .Tnx for post something with quality , Roo.

D

dakeyras

One attraction of David Gemmell's works for me is the infinite shades of grey. Nothing is ever black and white, unlike a great deal of medieval fantasy.

Heroes are more interesting when they are flawed.

Samildanach, the 'coward knight', frightened of the dark since childhood and unable to follow his fellow knights into the darkness of the portal. Having a hero with glaring inadequacies and watching his struggle to overcome them is far more interesting than the pearly-toothed adonis who can do no wrong.

Skilgannon the Damned is as close to the anti-hero as you could come. Labelled 'The Damned' for he was the General who ordered the massacre of an entire city, including the woman and children. How can a reader sympathise with a brutal mass murderer, who in our world would be hunted down and tried as a War Criminal. And yet, by the end of the book, Skilgannon leaves you craving for more. Despised, loathed and hunted by all sides, including killers sent by the woman who loves him, he knows that he cannot atone for his actions and so lives for the day of his death.

Don't want to spoil the book, but if you like heroes cast from an unconventional mold then give Gemmell a try.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Rp-ing an anti-hero on Euro DAoC will most likely result in "ffs he called me bad names!!1 ban!1" reports on RN. :rolleyes:

I gave up my rping attempts shortly before I started playing Planetside - it's just not possible (or hardly - big cheers to Keoine for being a great Rp'er *Finndougal waves good-bye* ;)).

Roll on next MMORPG - this time on a rp-only server. *wubbed Firiona Vi...*

Good summary, though, Mr. Roo.

S

Sibanac

all know the greates and coolest hero ever is .... Zaphod Beeblebrox

D

Draylor

Roleplaying a grumpy bastard on Excal can be highly amusing ;)

O

old.LandShark

I thought that came naturally? :D
Does this mean I get to pretend that my constant sarcasm is merely a front to hide my poor, bewildered interior? (minstrels grow up orphaned on the streets! Ask Mythic!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom