Barrysworld! Stupid sign up process!

S

Smartypants

Maybe have missed something here, but as I understand it, when I sign up for membership in Barrysworld, I'm supposed to enter text into a whole bunch of fields, among them my account name. Now if something goes wrong, like if the account name I chose is already taken, then I have to go back and DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN....??!!

Is that correct? I did that three times, then I got fed up. So if I'm right, I suggest you implement a slightly better registration process...

O

old.Gad

Worse, I went through the signup process only to find that the username I want (obviously Gad) has already been taken... I know I was using it, but I was under the impression that it had changed to old.Gad. Can I not now use my name of choice, or has some opportunist little bastard jumped in and stolen my name?

Answers on a postcard.

K

kain_pravus

Yeah what genius thought up the sign up.

You only find out if the username your going for is available after the whole form is finished... Oh yeah and if it's not available, which mine seems to be you have to start all over again, and again ect...

Think I'll keep old.kain_pravus

S

Smartypants

Excactly, I filled in the whole form three times, just cause the names I tried were already taken... :rolleyes:
Then I gave it up.

C

cHodAX

load of old crap needs fixing asap, tried 5 times and still didn't work.

S

Smartypants

OK, now I got it to work. Then next surprise... When try to merge the two accounts, I get a message saying that my new forum name ("Smart", same as my old) is already taken! So, does this mean that someone got there before me?

This kind of sucks, just a little bit...

Will stick with old.Smart :p

I

inqy

(Users Browsing this Forum: old.Siven , old.Meatballs , old.Jace , old.[SCW]Tempest , Fex , old.cAScADe , old.Nucleus , Javai , Herbal Remedy , old.twigbob , Melodic , old.OldNick , Celtic Dreams , old.Atrophy , old.Quemine , Armolas , old.Damon Doombring , Alrindel , old.lairiodd , old.zagantia , old.Nibor , old.Aculus , old.Bluppie , old.Khain , old.xetius , SilverHood , old.Reckless <Lion> , old.Caspen , old.Demerzel , old.Cyric , old.Ozwin , old.Casbardh , old.cerebus , old.Smart , old.RolandRidgeBack , old.mili , old.Cronn , old.Rashim , old.spooks , old.Steph , old.Cher , old.Occulta , Sharp Thing , old.Rhonvan , old.Fezzer , sickofit... , Tesla Monkor , -Light- , old.jizzy

:D

S

Spudgie

what a pain in the ass, but ive got it sussed.

one tip guys the username IS NOT your forum alias, put anything you want into the username, you merge your old forum account after.

F

Fightersuntzu

Yeah, this isnt a forum acct you're making just a Barrysworld account, they let you bring in your forum account after you register.

S

Smartypants

Uh, well problem is, when I try to merge the new and old forum account, I want to use the same alias as before (Smart). But I get a message saying that name is already in use. Crap...

G

GReaper

Considering I can't reclaim GReaper as my forum username, I thought I'd rename it to something more appropriate.

"You'll barely miss a spam!" -- What a load of bollocks.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by old.Smart
Uh, well problem is, when I try to merge the new and old forum account, I want to use the same alias as before (Smart). But I get a message saying that name is already in use. Crap...

Thats because the BW Membership stuff include so many users

http://www.barrysworld.com/Membership/Players/RecruitmentList.asp

The idea is to move the Forum membership, which was until today a individual membership, into one membership system under the BW Membership system but the problem is that so many of the names are already used under the BW Membership thus you can't use that name.

G

GReaper

Originally posted by Embattle

The idea is to move the Forum membership, which was until today a individual membership, into one membership system under the BW Membership system but the problem is that so many of the names are already used under the BW Membership thus you can't use that name.

Wonderful. I've been registered as GReaper on this forum for 2 years and 3 months (apparently).

Myself and many other people can't take their original forum username because someone else has a BW account with their username (or lost their original, etc.).

BarneysWorld manages to fuck up something else yet again, something which was working perfectly fine before this "migration".

E

Embattle

I have asked why the BW membership wasn't pruned before this event.

Y

Yelib

I'm sure this process seems very simple to the person who designed it, but I am still having problems.

I have registered an account and now I want to merge my forum account with my BW account. So I login, and go to the merge section.

So this is what I do - I put in my new forum alias as Yelib, then my old forum alias as old.Yelib then my password then I click the button. But then it tells me that that username is already waiting migration from someone else.

Wtf? Do I have to create a new forum account with a different name because someone has already created a new forum username with Yelib?

S

Smartypants

Yelib: you should NOT put in "old.Yelib" as old forum name, just "Yelib".
And then pray that someone else hasn't already taken it...

S

Scouse

Jeesus. I was thinking of trying DAOC out but when I read this forum I realised the game's full of muppets ;)

D

DeSlisser

Cant seem to become young again :uhoh:

Edit:

Damn i did it, just get your girlfriend over and have some hot steamy :sex:

you'll feel young again as if reborn after that :clap:

P

- Pathfinder -

Heh, I had to change alias as well; probably my ages old BW account that I can't access blocking me :p NM this looks ok, I guess ^^

T

Trebz

Originally posted by old.Smart
Maybe have missed something here, but as I understand it, when I sign up for membership in Barrysworld, I'm supposed to enter text into a whole bunch of fields, among them my account name. Now if something goes wrong, like if the account name I chose is already taken, then I have to go back and DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN....??!!

Is that correct? I did that three times, then I got fed up. So if I'm right, I suggest you implement a slightly better registration process...

When a registration fails, it does tell you to click the BACK button in your browser. If you are using a decent modern browser (ie5+, NS6+, Mozilla, Opera etc) then the forms data will still be there, the only things you would need to retype would be the password fields (for security obviously) and a new username.

T

Tenko

Yeah I got it working but it did take two attempts, all due to me not reading everything properly 1st time

K

Kagato.

I finally managed to get it signed up, but then trying to migrate my forum username into my account username is impossible because I already locked my old bloody forum username trying to remember the password lol. Whole thing is a nightmare. In the end I have just given up and put a " . " at the end of my name (full stop) so I can still be Kagato. at least.

Was there really any need for all this?

:mad:

O

old.tRoG

argh... when i try and do it it says my name is already in use.. does this mean i have to change my forum name? because that sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom