Band of Brothers - pwnage?

weevil

Fledgling Freddie
tbh bob is the fucking best mini series ever ever made

Embattle

FH is my second home
It is one of the best although I have another two I really liked watching called "Rich Man, Poor Man" and "Kane & Abel".

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
War is a futile business, i think making films about it is a disgraceful thing.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Embattle said:
War is BIG business.

Well okay, yeah, that was just a spur of the moment thing to write :p

War is a big business, but such a stupid way to resolve problems. Killing huge amounts of people to stop said people from killing huge amounts of people. Why?

I can't understand why people make films about such a thing. It's like Action movies where people just walk round killing each other. It's hideous.

Exoshear

Fledgling Freddie
Band of Brothers is excelent in my opinon! *wubs Band of Brothers dvd boxset*

D

Deadmanwalking

Band of borthers is indeed excellent and not for the obvious reason of war.

It actually drives home the fact that it isn't all glamour and it screws people up pretty badly.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Aoami said:
I can't understand why people make films about such a thing. It's like Action movies where people just walk round killing each other. It's hideous.

Because its entertaining. Many of history's greatest tales revolve around war.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Aoami said:
War is a big business, but such a stupid way to resolve problems. Killing huge amounts of people to stop said people from killing huge amounts of people. Why?

Because some people dont pay any attention to someone talking to them and carry on their merry way slaughtering people...

Patriarch

Fledgling Freddie
I never watched it, and only realised I was missing something special after it finished and everyone said it was brilliant.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Aoami said:
War is a futile business, i think making films about it is a disgraceful thing.

perhaps its made to remind us no-war-in-our-lifetimes softys that it does happen, and people gave thier lives so that people like us could moan about it.
Only a shame theres no comparable thing about British heroes, who fought from 1939 - , against overwhelming odds, to victory. Ive been reading some of the stuff on the BBC websites peoples war section, and its very uplifting stuff indeed :)

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
BoB box set rox your sox. Fantastic acting and the characters were all real too, sometimes makes me wonder how the hell we pulled it off coz to be honest I don't think anyone has the stomach today for what happened then.

And WW2 in particular has many stories that need to be told.

True, war is never a good thing but unfortunately there are people in power in this world that use force to get their way, and the only thing they respect is a greater force, so whilst ugly, war can sometimes only be the way to oust a particularly nasty dictator.
What some people don't realise is that these types of people NEVER respond to negotiation unless (like Saddam for example) you have a gun pointing at their head.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Embattle said:
It is one of the best although I have another two I really liked watching called "Rich Man, Poor Man" and "Kane & Abel".

I liked Lonesome Dove as a mini series and I put it up there with BOB for story telling.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
BoB Rocks. Like Throddy & DMW said it shows the side of war where people are getting blown to bits. The side of the psychological battle and what people went through like the horror of the mass killings of the Jewish people.

BoB Shows is this in excellent detail and thats why its such a big hit!

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Love Band of Brothers.

Looking forward to their next mini-series, although it's an all american affair hopefully a few british actors will be brought in again.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
SawTooTH said:
I liked Lonesome Dove as a mini series and I put it up there with BOB for story telling.

Lonesome Dove was the daddy!

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Aoami said:

Have you actually watched Band of Brothers?

Its not exactly a pro-war, I-can-kill-ze-germans-with-my-last-grenade jolly jape through Europe.

It shows war to be truly terrifying and the interviews with the veterans gives me a lump in my throat.

The episode that moves me the most is when they find the concentration camp. Its hardly an ACTION flick Aoami.

No idea how they got through the war...well a lot didn't. BoB shows the humanity involved and the terror on both sides. Bloody excellent series.

Btw, its fking freezing this side of the Atlantic! Whats the UK like?

Gombur Glodson

Fledgling Freddie
A big fan of the BoB series aswell.
What makes it so great is that it's actually real, it's not just any old WWII action movie, it's about the men of easy company and what they did. You get to know these men from toccoa to Austria.
I've watched it numerous times and it's still as amazing and great as the first time.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I treated myself to the tin box set before Christmas and hadn't seen the documentary that was on the 6th disc. Bloody hell, I swear a tear came to my eye watching that. When two of the guys, one with only one leg, go back to the Ardinee (sp?) forest and are recounting the story of the shelling.

The leaders of the world that send people to war should be made to sit down and watch that documentary. Maybe they'd think twice then.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Whipped said:
The leaders of the world that send people to war should be made to sit down and watch that documentary. Maybe they'd think twice then.

Nah, put 'em in with the action, only then would they realise.

Cfur

Fledgling Freddie
I loved the BoB series and watched when it was on TV, but missed the final episode!! arg! But I managed to grab me a tin box set.. just before they stopped making them.

People were buying them on ebay for £100+ and now they start selling them again in the stores, those people must be kicking themselves.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
Gotta agree with Xtro here (goddamn him), BoB is not a "1 man v the Nazi Empire" type romp, it's a gritty drama based on true facts.

And it's fucking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom