Bah help someone please ?

T

throdgrain

A while ago I bought a xp2600 cpu, to go with my a7v333 mobo. I checked extensively and it seemed it would work np, in fact i was assured by the overclocking store that it would.
Anyway, ever since ive fitted it sandra has told me that my fsb and agp something or other was wrong.Occasionally in game the picture has become jerky, though with no loss of fps, and I have put it down to lag.
However ive now discovered that the xp2600 333mhz chip Ive got is suitable for my board on revision 2.0 onwards. And guess what? Mine is 1.xx.
Ive gone into my bios (currently 1016 btw) and changed the cpu speed back to 1600 mhz, and its fine, though there is a loss in performance.
What I need to know is what to do. Can I update my mobo to 2.0 ? Is it a software thing or hardware ? Does it matter ? I only had the odd laggy problem, should I just go back to 2087mhz ?
Im worried now im gunna blow up meh pc :(

K

kameleon

Its a hardware thing throd, if you look on the mobo you will find a number that says rev no 1.xxx the board may have had a bios fix for your bios, but unfortunately this isnt always the case. If you want to use your cpu to the full you are going to have to bite the bullet.

It may be possible to set the fsb manually ti 166 x 2, but it depends on the pci and agp timings divider as to wether it will run stable or not.

U

Ulysses777

Apparently the A7V333 prior to board revision 2.0 is incapable of handling 333mhz FSB CPU's.

You've been had :(

T

Testin da Cable

if that's true then OCS should replace it without too much of a fuss I think

T

throdgrain

Yep it's a pisser, I don't want to give em too much of a hard time, as I actually like the company and all, and want to continue dealing with them. (Ive got my eye on a Radion 9700pro I want them to supply in the near future! )
But I bought this of em a while ago, and didnt pay much attention,and don't havethe boxes or whatever. I can see em playing em tbh, which will be no good for anyone concerned.
I know there is a XP2600 @ 266mhz, if they send me that then all well and good I suppose ...

T

throdgrain

Help me out here chaps ...

Well, Ive spoke to TheOverclockingStore a couple of times, and to be quite honest they don't seem very helpful :/
Now Im not going to bust me bollocks over £100, but what I DO want is my PC working properly. So Ill ask some questions if I may, and Id be glad of your opinions.
1. First , Ive been running the pc like this for six weeks or so now, and the only thing Ive really noticed is that the 3DMark test is a bit jerky, on the fill rate test I think it is, the one with the "swirley " coloured effect. Ive also noticed occasionally it gets a bit jerky in games at the start, though this soon disappears. Will this get worse if i keep running it at this speed ? And what would be causing this effect ?
It also seems to be doing it if I turn the clock speed back to 1667mhz (XP2000 speed), so have I fucked something up regardless, or is it perhaps another problem?
2. The best way of fixing it? Maybe I ought to simply buy a shiny new motherboard and bung all my existing stuff straight onto it ? Or get a XP2600 266mhz ? Quite rare though i believe.
Or just ignore it all, run it at full speed and see what happens, though matbe blow up meh pc :(

T

Testin da Cable

well firstly I'd put everything back the way it was in the first place, then run something like SiSoft's Sandra to get a view of your CPU settings that windows can see in regard to clockspeed and front side bus (FSB). it should read something like amd blah blah @ 2086 Mhz (more or less) and the FSB should either read 166 or 333 depending iirc (not too sure here, been ages since I used it). If it's _not_ reading the latter but either 133 or 266, then you're being knocked some 67Mhz DDR on the FBS (gotta love those acronyms heh). this way you know for a fact what's going on.

now what to do about it? well, as you already said Throd, you can get a nice shiny new mobo and ease your mind knowing that all really is fine -or- you can leave it with the risk that you *may* someday see your poota go up in flames. personally I'd just leave it. it's not died on you yet, and other than some picture jittering every now and then you don't notice it. I have a 2800 barton quite savagely overclocked with a 9700pro for gfx in my system, and I get picture jitters, that lag-alike stuff, when I play big games like morrowind every now and then too. that's my 2p. save yourself a couple of pound and get a nice bottle of the old vino to drink. that's what I'd do :)

T

throdgrain

I like you TDC :)

Annnyway...
what Ive done is this. Ive managed to get a deal out of the shop, and have bought a new AK79D -400 MAX NVidea NForce Ultra 2 (phew) mobo for a discounted price (aparently ! ) and a new cooler, so Im going to get super-pc uprated a bit more.
Bloody money :(

Oh btw, it definately does read 133 on the bios etc, it is a 266 board trying to run 333 fsb :/

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by throdgrain

Oh btw, it definately does read 133 on the bios etc, it is a 266 board trying to run 333 fsb :/

aha in that case you do well to get that upgrade. running full speed soon mate :) nforce mobo's are the win imo.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
nForce mobo's are the win imo.
I agree, they rock :D It's a shame nVidia don't produce similar boards for Intel, as that would certainly be cool. Then again, with boards like the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, do we need anything else? hehe :D

Kind Regards

T

throdgrain

Thanks for the help :)
I just got to work out how to install a new motherboard now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom