Bad news for prospective games developers...

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
Well.. it´s more of a trade off. You´re getting the coolest job in the world, unlimited access to all kind of games, groupies waiting for you in the parking lot, Ferraris and a free premium subscription for an online gaming mag of your choice. :)
sounds more like a nerds life specially the gaming mag, if i worked with games all the time i doubt i would play them cus id be sick of them, it would ruin the scene imo :)

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
groupies waiting for you in the parking lot
lol ye right bet there all nerds with no life if this is actualy true :p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Chesnox said:
Given the choice, what would you take? Your daddy home at Christmas, paying you attention, doing Daddy things? Or an absent father out earning so you can have the latest presents at Christmas, which he won't see you open anyway because hes either at work or asleep.

Come on. In places with modern economies like California, intelligent and educated people have alternatives to being worked to death by uncaring and exploitative employers. If they choose not to take those alternatives, because they value material posessions over quality of life then the problem is at thier feet, not thier employers. The guy lives and works (presumably) in California, hardly a hotbed of poverty or a US state reknowned for its poor job prospects, especially for ppl in the IT industry. He has the power to better his predicament, but he chooses not to. No sympathy here I am afraid.
Well far as the company is concerened so what?
There is always a waiting list of people wanting to take youre place, so you put up with it and you get on with it.
Being unemploed with bills coming in every month isnt a choice for most.

Saying that if the conditions were that bad i would be looking for a alternative, even if it is a less paid job quality of life > money.

Karnat

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
Unfortunatly EA arent shit, they are possibly the best games company ever on paper... If you take a look at average review scores, units sold almost any demographic EA are either very strong or top, EA both make a lot of money and write a good standard of game. (Yes they spin out a million identicle sports games, but they are a business and thats what sells).

We aren't talking about figures now but more on how they treat their know-how capital or in other words their personnel.

And to Chesnox: What Chronictank and Requiel said...

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Karnat said:
We aren't talking about figures now but more on how they treat their know-how capital or in other words their personnel.

Err re-read the quote m8. Raven just says 'EA are shite etc', which I felt was blatently not true, so im justifying it using well publicised figures.

I know people who work for EA just fine, some of them have massive salaries company cars, good prospects etc. Working in the computer games industry aint easy, but I bet more than half the people here have never talked to anyone who works for EA IRl, so im not sure how you think you are justified taking about their personel on the strenght of one ex-employee whinge.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Chilly said:
real nerds play go

My AI programmer used to play go all the time, really pissed me off im a chess man tbh :D

lathoniel

Fledgling Freddie
after passing a software eng degree and working for 4years in the industry, i beleive everything this person writes. the ppl who run this business are incompassionate egotistical tards, and care about the $ more than their workforce. when my first company released its game after a 2year slog we were rewarded with.... redundency. and my 2nd company did exactly the same. the same day the game was released. ill never work in the software industry again, its a waste of ur life and a drain on the soul. goin to work at 8am and goin home 6pm next day (aye 34 hour shifts) screws ur life up.

now im working 30hour weeks driving a van round birmingham, earn 20grand less, my social life rox, my friends say im happier and its still all affordable. just. :)

Dafft

One of Freddy's beloved
Was thinking of it at some point.

But then got into customer service, it rocks, treat the right person right & you'll reap the benefits...

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Dafft said:
But then got into customer service, it rocks, treat the right person right & you'll reap the benefits...
Aye, great job if your empowered to give the customers a fair deal. Been doing it for 12 years.

Shawr

Fledgling Freddie
I find it hard to believe that this could happen in the country where when someone stubs their toe on a door the guy who made it gets sued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom