Advice Back injury?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I don't want to whine like a little bitch, but I've done my back in.

I was in another flat moving a couple of beds / mattresses on Thursday night and these mattresses were particularly heavy. I was shifting one by lifting it from the handles and sliding it sideways when I noticed a twinge in my lower back as I moved it, but I thought nothing of it. The following day, I was totally crippled and in a lot of pain - that pain spread down my lower left leg and I've been plagued by seriously sore stabbing sensations from my lower calf, into my thigh and arse cheek. The pain has been so bad, I've had to sit on the ground until the stabbing sensations stop. Getting in and out of the car is painful as is getting in and out of the shower. I'm taking the full whack of over-the-counter pain killers that I can (paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine) every four hours (which help) but if I stop taking them then the crippling / shooting pain soon returns (along with some pins & needles in my foot). I've had sciatica before, but this is like sciatica turned up to 11.

I'm only 33 and I've become one of those moany "oooooo me back's a bit jippy" bastards. Any advice? I'm going to the doctors in the morning because my missus reckons I've done something to a disc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's possible you've slipped a disc, so it's definitely worth going to the docs.

Same happened to a mate of mine - he'd slipped a disc. My auntie had her spine operated on last year - and I've not slipped a disc but I'm 6'2" so I used to get a lot of back problems.

We've all resolved 'em. Hate to say it - but lots and lots of core strength exercise. I started pilates twice a week at a council run gym and my auntie was given practically the same workout for her back - and it's done wonders for her (she does stuff every day now, but if she slacks off for even a few days she starts to get pain).

Badgered my mate into the pilates lessons and his sciatica went away - but he's been working in Swindon for the past three months and he hasn't been able to attend - so it's coming back.

There's lots of back strenghtening exercises you can do which don't involve feeling silly in a room full of old women tho :)

However, get your back checked out. If you have slipped a disc then that'll need sorting possibly, but other than that exercise is the only thing that stops your bad back from fucking you up on a more regular basis.

Ballache if you're not currently into exercise - but don't struggle on in pain m8 - it'll only get worse over time. Do something about it and keep doing it...

old.user4556

Annoyingly I've been getting more exercise than I've ever been getting - lots of running and lots of weights ahead of Tough Mudder, feeling solid and full of energy. I move a mattress the wrong way, and I'm crippled :(.

Cheers dude, i'll see the doc.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Don't stop taking the pain killers, but also don't take the ibuprofen on an empty stomach, always with our just after food. The paracetamol is best though.

The only certain way to tell if you've slipped a disc is with an MRI scan, and you'll wait a while for one of those. In the meantime hope that it is just muscular, take it easy and rest and keep taking the pills. I've got a feeling it is a 2 week course of pain killers, and don't not take them cos it feels better. Your gp will advise anyway.

Hope it gets better soon.

RB

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Can't say much that hasn't been said, or will be said by others more qualified on the matter, but i can say that back injury as a man is one of the only "approved" bitchy things. Much like kicks in balls, stones, other testicular related issues and ofcourse the man flu.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Could be a trapped nerve too. Either way, best get yourself to the doc.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Either that or you inflamed the sciatic nerve. I have sciatica which hurts bum cheek and legs. But worth going to the doctors to rule out a disc problem first.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
yea pretty much covered it, if its serious, waiting till its fucked and you cant walk properly isnt ideal, you need your back so look after it :p

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It'll be your weak spot for life no matter what.

Actually, it doesn't need to be. Much as agreeing with Scouse is hardly acceptable in modern circles ( ;)) he is correct about core muscle strength being the key.

It sounds to me like a disk slipping backwards from the lower part of the spine and pushing into the sciatic nerve... I'm not a doctor but I had exactly this a few years back after reaching awkwardly to pick up my son. In my case I actually had an important business trip the next day, so when seeing the doctor his suggestion of 'pain killers, bed rest and wait' was not going to be very useful. When pushed he agreed to administer a local anaesthetic to my lower back which had the effect of relaxing all the area. I lay down for a couple of hours and eventually I felt it all pop back into place. After that, yes, physio for a while and exercises to help straighten the lower back and also core strength. Must admit, however, I really am a bit of a lazy fat git and I still get the sciatic pain as my core isn't nearly strong enough...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The core strength bit is absolutely correct, but the problem for most people is that if you sustain a lower back injury, you have to rest it and allow the inflammation to go down before you start exercise to build strength up again. My missus has been having loads of trouble with her back since the kids were born, and its exactly this issue; the muscles were weakened, she needs to build up core strength, but can't get the necessary downtime before she starts exercising, because young kids need picking up all the time.

Her case is extreme because you have absolutely no choice about lifting when you have young kids, but to a lesser degree the same logic applies to pretty much everyone; how to give your back a chance before you start to strengthen it? One piece of advice; try to avoid driving if it all possible for a while; car seats are a bastard for the sciatic nerve (especially if you have a manual gearbox), and actually just walking to get public transport and not sitting down when you get on the bus/train is a great way to gently start exercising without putting unnecessary stress on your back.

old.user4556

Doc says to do prescribed stretching and she also prescribed co-codamine / ibuprofen for the pain. If it doesn't start to get better in a week or so, I've to go back and it's possibly physio.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You should go cycling, that will sort it out.

only joking.

Swimming is great for core strength though.

old.user4556

just walking to get public transport and not sitting down when you get on the bus/train is a great way to gently start exercising without putting unnecessary stress on your back.

I've been standing / walking as much as possible (my running / weights regime has been stopped) - standing up straight is helping wonders, sitting down makes it so much worse.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
15 weeks since surgery to correct a herniated L5S1 disc.

You described symptoms almost exactly matching mine, pre op.

Go to your doctors. At best... Its a temporary slip and your body will recover on it's own with rest and correct exercise. (Pain management is key)

At worst the disk is ruptured and the nucleus is pressing on the nerve (as it was with me) this will require intervention, the sooner the better, as serious complications can develop if not treated.

I went through 6 months of pointless physio, which probably made it worse. I wish i had demanded an MRI first!

I have now been refered back to the sugeon as the pain is returning. A second MRI will be required to establish what is causing it (scar tissue, irepairable nerve damage, or a re-herniation... Are all posibilities.)

Get it checked it with all haste! I would not wish this on anyone.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Actually, it doesn't need to be. Much as agreeing with Scouse is hardly acceptable in modern circles ( ;)) he is correct about core muscle strength being the key.

It sounds to me like a disk slipping backwards from the lower part of the spine and pushing into the sciatic nerve... I'm not a doctor but I had exactly this a few years back after reaching awkwardly to pick up my son. In my case I actually had an important business trip the next day, so when seeing the doctor his suggestion of 'pain killers, bed rest and wait' was not going to be very useful. When pushed he agreed to administer a local anaesthetic to my lower back which had the effect of relaxing all the area. I lay down for a couple of hours and eventually I felt it all pop back into place. After that, yes, physio for a while and exercises to help straighten the lower back and also core strength. Must admit, however, I really am a bit of a lazy fat git and I still get the sciatic pain as my core isn't nearly strong enough...

If you can then sure it'll help although the reality of back trouble will make it hard to strengthen, my point still stands since most back issues mean the area damaged will remain weaker than other areas of the back unless you decide to do something special to damage other areas.

Well hopefully it'll clear up by itself BG, personally I think most of us would benefit from stretching or even things like Yoga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom