Baby theft - non humorous

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
MARYVILLE, Mo. - A baby girl who had been cut out of her mother's womb was found after a frantic search, and authorities arrested the woman they say strangled the mother and stole the child. The baby was in good condition Saturday.

The child was found Friday at an eastern Kansas home. A red Toyota similar to a description given earlier by police was in the driveway.

Lisa M. Montgomery, 36, of Melvern, Kan., was arrested later Friday and charged with kidnapping resulting in death.

Bobbie Jo Stinnett, 23, was found Thursday in a pool of blood inside her small white home in Skidmore, a town in northwest Missouri.

Stinnett, who was eight months pregnant, had earlier been talking with her mother on the phone, and hung up saying a woman she had chatted with online had just arrived at her door, authorities said.

U.S. Attorney Todd Graves said Montgomery contacted Stinnett through an online message board, and authorities zeroed in on her using computer forensics. Montgomery was seeking to buy a dog from Stinnett, who raised rat terriers, he said.

Stinnett, married for little more than a year and expecting her first child, worked at an engine factory in nearby Maryville. Her husband was at work when she was killed, authorities said.

The baby was named Victoria Jo and was united with her father, Zeb Stinnett, late Friday, Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka said in a statement Saturday on its Web site. She was listed in good condition at the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit.

Zeb Stinnett called the girl "a miracle."

"I want to thank family, friends, Amber Alert and law enforcement officials for their support during this time," Stinnett said in the news release.

Montgomery is the mother of two high school-age children, but Graves said she had been pregnant with another child that was never born.

It's unclear when she lost the baby or under what circumstances, but the complaint said she had lied to her husband about giving birth. Graves declined to give a motive for the crime.

According to the criminal complaint, Montgomery traveled about 40 miles to Topeka, Kan., on Thursday to go shopping. Her husband received a call from her saying she had gone into labor and given birth.

Kevin Montgomery and the couple's two children met Lisa and the newborn at a parking lot in Topeka and drove home, according to the affidavit.

The next day, authorities say, Montgomery confessed that she strangled Stinnett from behind, cut her open, removed the baby and cut her umbilical cord. She also admitted that she lied to her husband about what happened.

DNA tests positively confirming the child was the Stinnetts' were pending.

"We're confident we have the little girl that was taken from Skidmore," Nodaway County Sheriff Ben Espey said.

The grisly slaying shocked neighbors in the towns where the two women lived.

"They're very normal country people," said Sandra Bullock, 45, who lives about a mile down the road from the Montgomerys. "It's too hard to believe."

Stinnetts' neighbor Bill Dragoo was equally surprised.

"It blows my mind that this happened," he said. "She was such a shy person. They didn't deserve this."

Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Sheldon Lyon said the investigation was continuing. He would not say if additional charges might be filed or if there were other suspects.

Several pregnant women have been killed in recent years by attackers who then removed their fetuses, in some cases to pass the children off as their own.

In one of the most recent cases, a 21-year-old woman was shot to death in Oklahoma in December 2003, allegedly by another woman who pretended the 6-month-old fetus was her child. The fetus died. The woman accused in the case was found incompetent to stand trial and is undergoing treatment in a mental hospital.

Really sad, but I think its kinda amazing the baby is okay.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Some time ago this happend in mexico (i thought) too, they tranquilized (if thats the right word) the mother and cut out the baby, when the mother woke up again she was still alive, she managed to get to a hospital and survived, later they found the criminals with the baby and he was fine too

Vindicator

One of Freddy's beloved
Ye I read that in the paper as well. Thats just so sick and so sad, now that new born baby has a broken father and no mother for the rest of his life. Hopefully the father can find the strenght to raise him and it really is quite amazing the baby survived such a brutal operation but then again humans have been having babys in caves for thousands of years and those conditions are much better :/

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Beleive it or not, those cheesy tv programs that do the "real life" style of drama's, do have a basis in real life. The Market for clean, healthy babies is astounding, and you can actually purchase children on most east european countries (ie, those with shit economy's) for a few hundred pounds.

Reason why people would buy children: Numerous, and twisted, and in some cases; SICK. Some people try becasue they want children but can't reproduce for some reason, others because they are unfit to adopt. And then there are those that we REALY shouldn't go into!

But you have to admit, this was particularly grizzly by any standards, thank the creator that the child survived (And pray s/he grows up well adjusted).

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Thadius said:
Is this real life?

Reading stuff like that makes you really begin to wonder. Some seirously fucked up people in this world.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Yes it is real, and its not the only case of it happening. :\

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Of course we routinely take living babies out of women and kill them cos we dont want them.. it's called abortion.
No I'm not some crazed pro lifer, but then again 100% of all pro abortionists have allready been born.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Even though im not against abortions you made a very good point.

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Job said:
Of course we routinely take living babies out of women and kill them cos we dont want them.. it's called abortion.
No I'm not some crazed pro lifer, but then again 100% of all pro abortionists have allready been born.

Can't really compare that to be honest...it's much later in the pregnancy and it's the choice of the mother.

100% of all pro lifers have already been born as well I assume?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
this makes me so damn sad, my spine's gone really cold just reading that. How will that baby feel when she grows up? you can bet that there will be some sick individual that will tell her she was the reason her mother was murdered,

when i was a little girl a group of kids started all teasing and yelling at me one day saying my grandma had been chopped up, put in a freezer and was eaten (i was about 8 at the time) i was seriouslyt upset, i only had one grandma (my fathers mother) and thought they ment her, i got home in tears and asked my mother about this she told me that her mother had been murdered by her new husband and he strangled her, he did keep her body in a freezer then he was caught while he tried to kill hisself. I never knew my maternal grandmother as this all happened way before i was born, it also happened way before any of the children who were teasing me were born too, it was stuff they had heard from their parents, and kids being kids thought it would be highly amusing to make fun of me from it, the parents didnt know the true story so the kids heard a twisted chinese whisper from which i caught the brunt.

In relation to the story about the baby this is what worries me is that some sick fuck will torment the poor girl by telling her she was the reason her mum got killed, humans are not only stupid they are cruel, and cruelty is the worst thing about people.

I sincerely wish the baby and her father well, i hope they learn to live with the tradgidy and move on to live very happy lives together.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The woman who committed this had apparently had a miscarriage and hid it from friends and family. She's obviously insane to even commit this act. But, imo she fully deserves the death pen that the Prosecutor is trying for.

Chesnox

Fledgling Freddie
Job said:

No comparison. I just find it incredibly sad that a terrible story like this becomes yet another platform for anyone on either side of the abortion debate to state their views. What this story has to do with abortion is utterly beyond me.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Ezteq said:
I sincerely wish the baby and her father well, i hope they learn to live with the tradgidy and move on to live very happy lives together.
You never truely recover from something like this. To the father, the girl will be a constant reminder of what happened. I just hope the court issues are sorted out quickly and to the satisfaction of the victims family. They need closure as quickly as possible in order to rebuild and try and get on with their lives.

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Hope she gets fried after rotting in a cell for a nice long time first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom